Bottling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well. I dont have an oppurtunity to get to a place that selld sanitiser. My Cider is ready to bottle. What about a cap full of white king in a sink of hot water followed by a hot water rinse?
If your bottles are clean .... then do as you wrote above... or instead of white king, use something with Sodium Percarbonate.
NappySan does, as do all of the home brand equivalents.
Just make sure you rise thoroughly afterwards.
Youll be fine as long as your bottles are clean in the first place.

Well. I dont have an oppurtunity to get to a place that selld sanitiser. My Cider is ready to bottle. What about a cap full of white king in a sink of hot water followed by a hot water rinse?

Read Below:

OP'er - I used to rinse all the dust/dirt/shit outta the bottles and give them a good soak in some home brand bleach (2L $1.71 from woolies) (roughly 1 cup to a full laundry trough) and cold water, after an hour and a half i Rinse the bottles in very hot boiled water then fill the bottles and cap (caps went through a similiar sanitisation process)

Now i use Starsan........ I had a couple of issues getting the dosage right in the beginning but the amount i brew, the bottle will last a very very long time.

Put it this way...... After going through the hard, careful work of making your cider (watch it grow from a watered-down can of concentrated apple juice into a cider you can proudly call your own) say 7 to 10 days....... Then bottle into rinsed and unsanitised bottles? NO WAY! I Honestly dont think your going to get much advice on this site to not to bother to sanitise your bottles or steam clean them in a dishwasher.......... You Might be lucky... On the other hand you might end up with the greenest grass in your street.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

_wallace_

If your bottles are clean .... then do as you wrote above... or instead of white king, use something with Sodium Percarbonate.
NappySan does, as do all of the home brand equivalents.
Just make sure you rise thoroughly afterwards.
Youll be fine as long as your bottles are clean in the first place.

+1......... Blah, Blah, Blah.....

10ml of bleach to 5lts of water is all thats needed. But match does of vinegar so 10ml to 5lts as well. they say its a no rinse but rinse anyway and its best to rinse bleach with hot water as it neutralises it

My take on sanitation and how I brew. I won't account for the first brew because it was defiantly NOT sanitary.

It used to take me half an hour to put a batch down, I cleaned and sanitized everything, never an infection. As I wanted to better & better my beers it slowly took me longer and longer to put a batch down. From k&k to extract was an extra hour on the brew day, from that to partials was like an extra 2 hours (crushing grain and such), so that's 3 odd hours. The the move to AG, now I'm lucky if I get a brew down in 5 hours. If I had 30-300 bottles to clean & sanitize for the effort I put in to that, I'd do it.

Now, it's not about what method you use or any shit like that. But ffs man, you made beer, fuckin look after it. I know you probably won't get an infection with clean bottles and hot water, but there's more chance you won't if you do it better

+1 for hardcore cleaning, rinsing and sterilising. Like Pennywise said, last thing I want to do is sabotage all that hard work with bottles that have been any less than scrupulously cleaned. In fact, I even bought one of those portable steamers and am thinking I might use it as a final step after sterilisation with a no-rinse. Overkill? Maybe, but at least I know I did everything I could.

Normal commercial practise for new bottles is just a rinse
Greg
Bullshit

Greg, you may be lazy, and perhaps your palette can't detect an infection when you slam it before it has time to over carbonate - but don't just pull things out of your arse like that.

Greg's post is probably the worst advice I have ever read on this forum. Sanitation is a massively important and rudimentary part of homebrewing. It should be the first thing you learn to do properly. If you care about what you're making then you'll sanitize. If you don't care then go for it, you'll even get a couple more points of alcohol from the wild yeast infection :icon_drunk:

If you don't like germs the dishwasher is your friend, nearly as good as an autoclave.
Autoclaving temps usually start at about 120C don't they? Most people's dishwashers would be closer to temps that will foster growth than they are to autoclaving temps.

Here's a really cool, clear & concise article by John Palmer I just googled that might answer just about anything you need to know:

http://www.realbeer.com/jjpalmer/cleaning.html

I clean my laundry sink & fill it with a just-deep-enough bath of no-rinse sanitiser (starsan or iodophor) & dump bottles in there in 15-25 bottle lots. Doesn't seem like a lot of work to me. You just need to keep your bottles clean ie rinse them immediately after pouring & store them clean. Plastic beer crates (tip: ask your state's finest independent beer store - they'd love to get rid of them) are invaluable for storing & also draining/drying bottles up-side-down prior to filling.

You may not be able to buy any cleaners/sterilants before you bottle (though there is no hurry to bottle - your cider won't be ruined if you leave it an extra week in the fermenter) but it may be worth purchasing some chems for future use. They don't need to be expensive, difficult or time consuming.

In this situation, the above post about bleach and vinegar is your solution

Mix 30ml of unscented (the cheaper brands are actually better for this) household bleach into 20L of water. After it is thoroughly mixed in, then mix in 30ml of plain white vinegar.

This will give you a perfectly good no-rinising needed sanitiser. You want 30 seconds of contact time, so dunk your bottles in and leave them submerged for 30 seconds, then drain them well - no need to rinse. The vinegar lowers the pH and means that you can use a low enough concentration of bleach, that it will not cause flavour issues in your final product.

Its a great stop gap solution for when you cant get a purpose made sanitiser and i use it every now and again as a change up sanitiser just to make sure the bugs and critters dont get complacent and start developing resistance to my normal starsan routine.

TB

Autoclaving temps usually start at about 120C don't they? Most people's dishwashers would be closer to temps that will foster growth than they are to autoclaving temps.

Now that IS bad advice. Dishwashers are excellent at killing germs, I was semi-joking about them being like autoclaves. The difference between a dishwasher and an autoclave is that a dishwasher will kill all active live germs while an autoclave also kills dormant bacterial spores. These spores are not a problem in food, only for surgery. Chemical sanitisers don't kill all live germs, only some of them, because chemicals don't have the power to penetrate into clumps of cells the way heat can.

What all the people criticizing me don't say is you will only ever lose one bottle at a time if poor sanitisation causes problems for bottling. There is no possibility of losing a whole batch or even a large fraction. I have never lost even a single bottle.

Still, if chemical sanitisers make you feel happier then you should definitely use them.

Greg

Now that IS bad advice. Dishwashers are excellent at killing germs, I was semi-joking about them being like autoclaves. The difference between a dishwasher and an autoclave is that a dishwasher will kill all active live germs while an autoclave also kills dormant bacterial spores. These spores are not a problem in food, only for surgery. Chemical sanitisers don't kill all live germs, only some of them, because chemicals don't have the power to penetrate into clumps of cells the way heat can.

What all the people criticizing me don't say is you will only ever lose one bottle at a time if poor sanitisation causes problems for bottling. There is no possibility of losing a whole batch or even a large fraction. I have never lost even a single bottle.

Still, if chemical sanitisers make you feel happier then you should definitely use them.

Greg

you are correct - heat is the best sanitising/sterilising agent of all .. and if it done properly it leaves chemical agents in the dust. But.... given you are suggesting a dishwasher as a practical and effective way to sanitise/sterilise - I assume you have gone to the trouble of actually measuring the temperatures and durations at those temperatures that occur in your dishwasher and made sure that they equate to sufficient kill rates... and of course that you can make some reasonable assertion that everybody's dishwasher will perform like yours??

Because that's the thing you see - a chemical concentration is a chemical concentration... it will work the same way for everybody. But my dishwasher is a 15 year old piece of crap that I can see growing more germs than it kills. I use my oven to sterilise bottles.. but I can and do measure the temperature in there.

You do have a point about bottle sanitation being very unlikely to bugger up more than a bottle or two in any given batch - that's a reasonable assertion. But nonetheless, people want to be sure - and people do tend to like absolutes and measurables. You can get that with a time/temperature combination, you can get it with a chemical concentration/exposure time combination -- I at least get a lot less confidence from a simple assertion that "a dishwasher will kill all active live germs" - maybe it will, maybe yours will... maybe it wont? Toss some time/temp numbers out there for us to see and sooth our fears. What is it that makes you confident? I'm not saying you are wrong - but I would like to know why you are sure you are right.

BTW - my assertion that the bleach/vinegar combo is effective is something I have taken largely on faith. I have heard it stated by an "industry expert" that it is true, and have questioned and had the notion confirmed by another industry expert, so I believe. I don't have the level of detail to support it that I am demanding of Greg... but as of yet no one is demanding it of me so I get away with it for now.

You do have a point about bottle sanitation being very unlikely to bugger up more than a bottle or two in any given batch - that's a reasonable assertion. But nonetheless, people want to be sure - and people do tend to like absolutes and measurables. You can get that with a time/temperature combination, you can get it with a chemical concentration/exposure time combination -- I at least get a lot less confidence from a simple assertion that "a dishwasher will kill all active live germs" - maybe it will, maybe yours will... maybe it wont? Toss some time/temp numbers out there for us to see and sooth our fears. What is it that makes you confident? I'm not saying you are wrong - but I would like to know why you are sure you are right.

This is a valid point. I am assuming dishwashers heat the water to a minimum of 60C, and that if you are concerned you can use a cycle of 1 hr or more. From my intro to microbiology classes at uni I am confident that 60C for 1 hr will kill any germ likely to be encountered in the kitchen or brewery/winery. From my observations of temperatures in my dishwasher (base model dishlex) the dishes come out too hot to handle so I think it is more like 70C. Those sort of temperatures and durations, combined with the assistance of steam, will do much better than chemical sanitising agents. Remember that wet heat is much better than dry heat for killing germs.

Greg

Hate to be a pedant but isn't what you're getting in the dishwasher technically a liquid water mist, not steam which is water in the gaseous state. Sure it may be 60c liquid mist, but it doesn't carry the energy that steam does which makes it such a great sterilizer.

I'm sure it works for you anyway, it just might not be the best advice to give to a newcomer.

If you do some searching you'll find info about the use of bleach as a sanitiser, including the ratios you'll need etc. In the right concentrations you can actually use it as a no rinse sanitiser.
You also need a little white vinegar for the mix, but you must mix the bleach and the water and then add the vinegar, or the other way, but never mix the vinegar into undiluted bleach.

You will get a number of people who will tell you that bleach shouldn't go anywhere near your brewing etc. but even the maker of Starsan and other brewing sanitisers has discussed and recommended it as an option.

Like all sanitisers it only works if you've cleaned first though...

Quick edit: I somehow managed not to read all the other posts outlining just this! ... So, now you have plenty of info on it...

Hate to be a pedant but isn't what you're getting in the dishwasher technically a liquid water mist, not steam which is water in the gaseous state. Sure it may be 60c liquid mist, but it doesn't carry the energy that steam does which makes it such a great sterilizer.

I'm sure it works for you anyway, it just might not be the best advice to give to a newcomer.

From my microbiology text (Talano and Talano, 1996) "Moist heat occurs in the form of hot water, boiling water or steam...in practice ranges from 60 - 130C" "Moist heat works several times faster than dry heat".

Greg

From my microbiology text (Talano and Talano, 1996) "Moist heat occurs in the form of hot water, boiling water or steam...in practice ranges from 60 - 130C" "Moist heat works several times faster than dry heat".

Greg

Not that I would ever condone not sanitising bottles but Greg is right about one thing. Kind of...

Some newer dishwashers, particularly brands sold in the US where preserving fruit and things in bottles is still a big thing, have a specific steam cleaning cycle which is designed to sanitise bottles for preserving. Its something like an hour in actual steam at 100C+. When you hear people in the US talking about using a dishwasher to sanitise bottles, that's what they are talking about. Not my 10 year old piece of crap and not 99% of the dishwashers on the Australian market. What you get out of those is a rinse in hot water which is at best at 70. Not recommended.

Give the bottles a rinse with iodophor or starsan. Seriously, it costs a few cents and take a few minutes.

Cheers
Dave

How much is your time worth to you? Unless it's a labour of love then you can discount but really what brewer likes cleaning bottles? And hour or two spent doing a pain in the arse job really negates the savings of HB if you count it as labour.

If poor sanitatation causes a fermenter infection once every few batches you risk an entire batch. If poor sanitation causes a bottle infection your risk is less than 1/20th of a batch.

When I used to bottle I sanitised but only a token effort. A couple of squirts of hysan up the spout with one of those pump bottle washers. I wish I learned the trick I used for my last bottle batch a lot earlier. Put them in the oven. A small piece of foil on the tops to keep them sealed before and after. Total sterilization and with the foil cover you can store them in that state for a good while. Foil caps are reusable so you only need to muck around cutting little squares the once. Even if you miss a chunk of gunk when rinsing enough heat over enough time will render it biologically inert.

so i was bottling last week, and realised at the last minute that i didn't have any sanitiser left. so i just used some detergent/hot water (they were new PET bottles). what do you guys think the chance of infection would be? would i have to be unlucky, or am i doomed to failure?

Back