Bottling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSR

Reaction score
Hi

I am about to bottle a Bavarian lager in 330ml bottles, my concern is the brew seems pretty carbonated in the tube when i take a hydrometer reading. Will this increase the risk of bottle bombs? I am going to use 1 carbonation drop per bottle. The brew has been in primary for 14 days so it should be ready.

MSR

Hmm i had some problem with a american pale i did. Can you put it into a secondary? I did that for another week, got rid of most of that!

Hmm i had some problem with a american pale i did. Can you put it into a secondary? I did that for another week, got rid of most of that!

Unforunately no, the 2nd fermenter is being used.

Not sure if I should leave it for longer in primary?

What's the FG? If it is the same for 2-3 days, you should be fine. How long has it been fermenting? It is ok to leave it longer, you just have a little more risk of infection if it is not in a completely steril environ.

BB

As long as you're down somwhere near 1.010, you should be fine. I've regulalrly primed the 330mL bottles with one carbo drop and never had an issue. I've primed a 350mL bottle with two and never been able to pick the brew out of the batch.
As long as the brew is well and truly finished, you'll be fine.

What's the FG? If it is the same for 2-3 days, you should be fine. How long has it been fermenting? It is ok to leave it longer, you just have a little more risk of infection if it is not in a completely steril environ.

BB
FG has been constant at 1.012 for a about 4 or 5 days, it just seems really fizzy.

I dont want any bombs!!, my wife will probably ban me brewing inside for good.

As long as you're down somwhere near 1.010, you should be fine. I've regulalrly primed the 330mL bottles with one carbo drop and never had an issue. I've primed a 350mL bottle with two and never been able to pick the brew out of the batch.
As long as the brew is well and truly finished, you'll be fine.
Alright, I'll give it a go.

Fingers crossed.

What temp is it sitting at ?
Thought it should be a point or two lower for a lager, but as long as it's not sitting at 14degs and stalled due to lack of temp, it should be fine.
What was the starting gravity ?

What temp is it sitting at ?
Thought it should be a point or two lower for a lager, but as long as it's not sitting at 14degs and stalled due to lack of temp, it should be fine.
What was the starting gravity ?
Sitting at about 18 degrees. OG was 1.048.

Yes it will be fine with a normal priming dosage.

Priming amounts (I presume the same for carb drops) are calculated based on the assumption that the beer is saturated with carbon dioxide at fermentation temperature, which it usually is after fermentation.

But do check SG and make sure it's finished, otherwise you may well get bottle bombs.

I have decided to leave it another couple of days, to be sure to be sure....

Wouldn't hurt to raise the temp a couple of degrees if you can. But that FG sounds about right.

Latest posts

Back