Bottles Bottles Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up 14 wooden crates of 750mL glass bottles on ebay for $1

Find these are good for sharing, but am currently collecting longnecks for the after work beer. Got about 4 dozen so far, and all my mates collecting for me for the price of a few bottles of home brew.

Also managed to pick up 48 500mL bottles from a local brewery that doesn't reuse bottles, but people keep returning them anyway.

I'm using a combination of 330ml and 640ml bottles.

I normally bottle half a batch in each as I find it quite handy depending on how much I want to drink at a time, it also saves on time bottling a few into the 640ml.

By the way if your looking to source some bottles cheap and easy I bought all mine through plesdene glass. Cospak also sell direct to the public but have larger minimum order quantities I believe. Im not affiliated with either companies just thought I'd let you know as I'm a complete begginer and I struggled to find bottles fast enough as I didn't have the foresight to collect bottles before I began brewing my first batch.

I'm using a combination of 330ml and 640ml bottles.

I normally bottle half a batch in each as I find it quite handy depending on how much I want to drink at a time, it also saves on time bottling a few into the 640ml.

By the way if your looking to source some bottles cheap and easy I bought all mine through plesdene glass. Cospak also sell direct to the public but have larger minimum order quantities I believe. Im not affiliated with either companies just thought I'd let you know as I'm a complete begginer and I struggled to find bottles fast enough as I didn't have the foresight to collect bottles before I began brewing my first batch.
Tje, that Plasdene range looks awesome. How much are they and what quantities? Did you pick yours up or have them freighted? They would be an excellent item for a central Bulk buy in each City I reckon. Depending on costs.

Just bottled my first brew, all in glass stubbies, mostly crown seals< but also some twist tops, which i don't trust a 100% yet. Just seems that the glass on them is a bit thinner.

If I had the choice I would get a few plastic crates from Germany. They have crates of 24x330ml and 20x500ml, each bottle separated by a thin plastic wall from the others. Perfect for stacking them on top of each other, you can build your own beer tower with them.

They are just great to handle, clean and cart around if you have too. I really don't understand why they are not sold here. You pay a deposit on the crate, and a small deposit on each bottle. once you get new beer, you bring your old ones and swap for new ones. Or you keep the old ones for home brew.

Florian

Tje, that Plasdene range looks awesome. How much are they and what quantities? Did you pick yours up or have them freighted? They would be an excellent item for a central Bulk buy in each City I reckon. Depending on costs.

Hey BribieG,
I Picked mine up from there brisbane showroom. They do have a good range except some of them you need to buy by the pallet (in the 1000's of bottles) except they have a couple of bottles like the 330ml and the 640ml bottles that they sell in a pack of 12.

The only downside is they have a minimum order of $100 or if you spend between $50 and $100 theres a $10 surcharge.

That didn't really bother me as I'm new to homebrewing and wanted a decent amount of bottles and I didn't want to spend ages collecting them.

For $109 I got 4 packs of 640ml bottles (48bottles) and 8 packs of 330ml bottles (96 bottles) and a big bag of crown seals, which is more than enough for 2 home brews and comes close to being enough for a third.

If your interested just give them a call and have a look in there show room I went and had a look and ordered them at the show room and had to wait about 20min for them to get my order together.

Anyway good luck let me know if you have anymore questions.

TJE

just crawled into the ceiling had a quick look at wat ive got:

200+ 750 ml crown seal
75+ 475ml grolsh swingers
3 1.5l grolsh swingers
400+ 330ml crown seals (mostly amsterdam lager, used to feed these to the ranga by the bucket load)

might be selling most of the crown seals as ive just bought a few kegs.

generally i use the 330 mls for my strong ales and my belgians (anything around 6.5 -7.0% and up) the 750mls for my stouts and ales, and the grolsh bottles for ginger beer, anything deemed "highly experimental" i.e. likly to explode or poison me, goes into the 330mls.

Hey BribieG,
I Picked mine up from there brisbane showroom. They do have a good range except some of them you need to buy by the pallet (in the 1000's of bottles) except they have a couple of bottles like the 330ml and the 640ml bottles that they sell in a pack of 12.

The only downside is they have a minimum order of $100 or if you spend between $50 and $100 theres a $10 surcharge.

That didn't really bother me as I'm new to homebrewing and wanted a decent amount of bottles and I didn't want to spend ages collecting them.

For $109 I got 4 packs of 640ml bottles (48bottles) and 8 packs of 330ml bottles (96 bottles) and a big bag of crown seals, which is more than enough for 2 home brews and comes close to being enough for a third.

If your interested just give them a call and have a look in there show room I went and had a look and ordered them at the show room and had to wait about 20min for them to get my order together.

Anyway good luck let me know if you have anymore questions.

TJE

I wouldn't mind picking up 96 of the 'pint' bottles at that price, about the same value as Coopers etc PET bottles. I'm moving house next month and as part of my brewery refurbishment I'll look at completely upgrading my bottle stock to all glass. Thanks for that information.
Edit: I see they're in Virginia, sweet... I was worried they might have been over on the Mexican Southside which is a cut lunch trip from here.

Um.. up againsed some fairly stoic collectors off glaasware here.. and to be fair ive only recently undertaken this life altering hobby..

5 or so dozen 7fiddy's..

but my recycle man has seen several thousand CPA stubbies go past him at my place... does that count fro anything apart from being sad that I didnt do this before now?

I don t really collect the stubbies, if im putting more down than I have glass for I just plan it and drink more longnecks prior.. win win situation unless you know where to get CPA quality glass for free?

Are you in Richmond Vic? If so I may have some for you to collect, next time my regular supplier drops some off. I can't keep up with his supply (and I have 5 brews on the go at the moment) and have taken to ocassionally giving them away. I have a fellow brewer already set up for a current lot but in a month or two I'll probably have more.

PM me in 6 weeks if you don't hear from me.

I wouldn't mind picking up 96 of the 'pint' bottles at that price, about the same value as Coopers etc PET bottles. I'm moving house next month and as part of my brewery refurbishment I'll look at completely upgrading my bottle stock to all glass. Thanks for that information.
Edit: I see they're in Virginia, sweet... I was worried they might have been over on the Mexican Southside which is a cut lunch trip from here.
No worries. Hahaha yer just next to the golf corse couldn't be easier. If your planning on only buying 96 of the 330ml you'll have to pay an extra $10 but hey it'll still end up being only about 60 cents a bottle. Still worth it I wreckon if your not going to be brewing on often or already have some bottles.

I keg, but as a keg holds 19L and I brew to 23L then I save a few bottles which go into the 'archive', however I often do an all bottle brew such as a sparkling lager or a brown ale or stout, maybe one brew out of four.

I just finished washin,

28 LCPA 330 mls
12 LCPA 568 mls
13 CSA 750 mls

What type of bottles do I think are best, ones that are full of beer.

Latest posts

Back