Bottles Bottles Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muzz,

I dont normally do the rotation things, but when I do, I rotate 90deg, not 180....that way you arent still on the same axis....if ya kinda know what I mean....by rotating it 90deg you get more of a cross effect. Either way...not really needed, but cant hurt.

If it works then there is nothing wrong with it.....

Anyways, does anyone have anything against twist tops? I haven't had any trouble with them. After capping each bottle (weather twist or crown seal), I rotate the bottle 180degs and use the capper again on them, to ensure a good seal is made. It's pretty much habit now, don't know if its the normal thing to do.

My collection of beer bottles is pretty random. As a rough estimate, I've got (in order of preference)
20 King browns (crown seal)
60 Redback bottles (crown)
30 Crown lager bottles (crown)
30 Crown lager bottles still to be drunk and I think they are twist tops now :(
And then collecting beer bottles from Friday after work drinks
24 Stella bottles (crown)
40 Carlton draught (twist)
24 Extra Dry (twist)
40 more random bottles, generally twist tops.

Anyways, does anyone have anything against twist tops? I haven't had any trouble with them. After capping each bottle (weather twist or crown seal), I rotate the bottle 180degs and use the capper again on them, to ensure a good seal is made. It's pretty much habit now, don't know if its the normal thing to do.

I've been using twist tops for over a year now without any issues. I was a little skeptical at first and blamed some low carbonation mishaps on it. However, when I had a non-alcoholic GB blow a twist bottle to bits I realized sealing and pressure wasn't a problem. ;-)

I don't even do the extra twist. Just cap it.

Speaking of MB, anyone notice that they have cheapened up on their bottles? They used to have "Matilda Bay" in raised lettering on the shoulder of their 345ml bottles, but on the last few I cleaned de-labelled today this was missing. So are these new bottles still made by ACI or have they changed supplier? If so the strength/quality might also have changed.....

I know that there are some VERY cheap liqueur/wine/beer bottles coming out of China right now (I got to look at some samples the other day, look OK, but finish and glass clarity/quality seems on the low side IMO).

The majority of my bottles have the raised lettering, probably because they where bought last year, but I had a check in the bottle cupboard and noticed that nearly all the Fat Yaks have no lettering at all, I've also noticed that some of the Fat Yak bottles are, a slight bit out of shape!? There more oval than the rest. Damn cheap glass, bet they break easier aswell.

The majority of my bottles have the raised lettering, probably because they where bought last year, but I had a check in the bottle cupboard and noticed that nearly all the Fat Yaks have no lettering at all, I've also noticed that some of the Fat Yak bottles are, a slight bit out of shape!? There more oval than the rest. Damn cheap glass, bet they break easier aswell.

Hadn't noticed the out of round bit, but now that you mention it, yep it's there on all the unlettered ones, I'll have to have a dig among my bottles to find some of the older ones to see if they are round or not, but my gut feeling is that they will be round.....

BTW :icon_offtopic: those bottles I have for sale *won't* include any of these "new" MB bottles.

I rarely do the extra twist.

I should have taken a photo of the beer I poured 2nite. Its a toucan from 13months ago. Had a head on it that was rich and creamy.

Yes, it was from a 375ml twist top.

The ONLY thing with twist tops is that you REALLY SHOULD (have to IMO) use the bench capper.....but who doesnt anyway.

Rendo

I've been using twist tops for over a year now without any issues. I was a little skeptical at first and blamed some low carbonation mishaps on it. However, when I had a non-alcoholic GB blow a twist bottle to bits I realized sealing and pressure wasn't a problem. ;-)

I don't even do the extra twist. Just cap it.

Only use Coopers 700ml PET bottles (apart from kegs). So far have not lost one due to loss of gas. Have made 40 brews so far. Some have been over a year old when I had the last bottle, no loss in fizz or gone off. Still using the same caps as when first purchased.

I've been using Champagne bottles for over a year (as well as the Coopers Tallies) and have not had any problem until now

6 bottles containing IPA & 6 with Bock were all flat after a couple of months

Hope it was just some bad caps or bad technique on my behalf.

I try and use the Champagne bottles for long term storage - but now I'm not so sure.

(I have the extra large caps & a large capper cone especially for Champagne bottles)

My favourites are the Shofferhofer 500ml bottles. Same shape as a 750ml tallie. One bottle is a nice big glass full. Also use:

Hoegaarden 330ml
Beez Neez 345ml
Coopers 750ml
Coopers 740ml pet

I'd like to get a few of those Darwin stubbies!

1.25L PET softdrink bottles. The price is right. So is the size (3 schooners is Goldilocks).

Kept in a dark cupboard until cooled in the fridge, then poured into a cold glass jug.

Bottling into stubbies? Mugs game. ;)

Last night I discovered one of the bad things about glass bottles,

as I tapped the crown seal on with my rubber mallet the bottle cracked and shattered underneath,
and I watched in shock as 700ml of superb Extra Strong Bitter ran across the bench and created a waterfall over the side straight into a box of slot car track accessories.

I spent the next hour washing out cars, hand controllers and track parts. What a mess!

It was a quite old CUB bottle, not a true Coopers king brown.

Rendo,

I was having difficulty with the quote function so did a quick reply.

I have never used a capper and simply screw the screw top lids back on again. I have a perfect seal every time. I can't remember a flat beer in the last 10 batches (say 500 beers) I've done. I just sanitise the bottles and caps and screw on again with a tea towel. I'm not a burly bloke with strong hands either. I found that with the capper, albeit a dodgy hammer on one, I was losing a few beers a batch to under carbonation.

I've got a supply of around 250 coopers bottles and caps and I just reuse them over and over again. I try to maybe swap in a new carton every few months for the oldest bottles. Of course this won't work if you've opened the bottle with an opener and not unscrewed the cap.

I find that coopers bottles work well, as do Boags, bittburger and the cheaps Aldi brand lager bottles. Some others I've has issues with eg, VB, carlton cold, but I refuse to drink them anyway.

If I'm trying a new bottle type I test a couple of bottles at the end of a batch bottled in coopers bottles so I don't lose a whole bacth experimenting.

Personally, I will never use a capper again. I can't see why you'd ever need to...

Last night I discovered one of the bad things about glass bottles,

as I tapped the crown seal on with my rubber mallet the bottle cracked and shattered underneath,
and I watched in shock as 700ml of superb Extra Strong Bitter ran across the bench and created a waterfall over the side straight into a box of slot car track accessories.

I spent the next hour washing out cars, hand controllers and track parts. What a mess!

It was a quite old CUB bottle, not a true Coopers king brown.
Rubber mallet? Hmmmm I haven't used a hand/hammer capper in about 20 years: go the bench capper, 35-50 bucks (my local Big W even stocks them!), easier to do a large batch, less mucking around so all in all just plain better. :beerbang:

1.25L PET softdrink bottles. The price is right. So is the size (3 schooners is Goldilocks).

Kept in a dark cupboard until cooled in the fridge, then poured into a cold glass jug.

Bottling into stubbies? Mugs game. ;)
Might be, but this way each bottle neatly fits the mug! :lol:

Rubber mallet? Hmmmm I haven't used a hand/hammer capper in about 20 years: go the bench capper, 35-50 bucks (my local Big W even stocks them!), easier to do a large batch, less mucking around so all in all just plain better. :beerbang:

I don't do large batches in glass. 50 bottle batch was 47 in PET and 3 very specials in glass.

How is it special? not the first bottles, not the last bottles, just right from the middle of the priming batch
to be the best possible, bound for a meeting of brewers. I just do 2-3 and the glass bottles makes then easy to find
in a full brew cupboard.

This is the first failure I've had in dozens of batches.

Holy Crap BigSam!! Thats full on.

You are NOT a big burly bloke?? Compared to who? The Rock?!?!?!?

Cheers to you my friend, I wish you could come to my place on bottling day

Here is to you! I am mega impressed. (now I am going to have to try this myself)

Rendo

Rendo,

I was having difficulty with the quote function so did a quick reply.

I have never used a capper and simply screw the screw top lids back on again. I have a perfect seal every time. I can't remember a flat beer in the last 10 batches (say 500 beers) I've done. I just sanitise the bottles and caps and screw on again with a tea towel. I'm not a burly bloke with strong hands either. I found that with the capper, albeit a dodgy hammer on one, I was losing a few beers a batch to under carbonation.

I've got a supply of around 250 coopers bottles and caps and I just reuse them over and over again. I try to maybe swap in a new carton every few months for the oldest bottles. Of course this won't work if you've opened the bottle with an opener and not unscrewed the cap.

I find that coopers bottles work well, as do Boags, bittburger and the cheaps Aldi brand lager bottles. Some others I've has issues with eg, VB, carlton cold, but I refuse to drink them anyway.

If I'm trying a new bottle type I test a couple of bottles at the end of a batch bottled in coopers bottles so I don't lose a whole bacth experimenting.

Personally, I will never use a capper again. I can't see why you'd ever need to...

mine:
100 crown seal tallies
60 crown seal stubs
30 coopers pet bottles

looking to expand to either grolch bottles or just more tallies.

best way to go is wait for the BWS 20% off all beer carton weeks(2 week period twice a year) and buy a couple cases of coopers pale or sparkling tallies. pale will set you back about 39 bucks i think and is quite drinkable :p. and they are nice thick, crown sealed tallies. ive bounced one of these off a concrete step and i still use it today. oh and i will find out when the next sale for anyone that is interested

another option im looking into is LCPA pint bottles(540ish?). stubbie is never enough but tallies go hot too quick so i figure these would be good. slightly more challenging to find than you normal tallies but Dan's or First Choice should stock them and they are crown seals as well

Crown seal tallies 36 brocolli boxes 18 to a box all empty but the kegs are full

Latest posts

Back