Bottles And Stomach Bugs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pk.sax

RIP bum
Reaction score
Well, did you really expect another thread on sanitation!?

lol, relax

In my quest to drink up enough beer in the last two weeks to collect more bottles (exacerbated by a weekend at the westgate brewers meeting (which was awesome!!!) my system finally carked it and I caught a stomach bug :(. It hurts, feel bloated and well, I'm just ranting. Responsible drinking once I kick it is in order ;)
I'm sure the beer was all good, can't vouch for my poor belly tho :p

Second time now. It seems like I really can't overindulge on homebrew, everything feels a little swollen. I'm now getting quite sure te problem is gout, and I'm hating it. Has anybody ever pinpointed what exactly to avoid in home-brews to avoid having gout attacks?

I seem to have this especially after brewers' meetings unfortunately, maybe it's just some particular beer I'm havin a bad reaction to.

I thought gout usually presented as arthritis-type symptoms or as some urinary problem? Either way as far as beer goes it is the alcohol that gout objects to.

[EDIT: oh, yeah. Get better soon and have a think about going to the quack's.]

Currently nursing a shocking head cold ATM. I know they say not to take cold tablets & alcohol, but the few drinks I had that day took the edge off.

Thnx Bum, I think I'm gonna do that, see the doc that is. I could feel slight swelling all over yesterday, hands, wrists, neck, back. Tingling. A little better today but still not feeling OK. I'll have to work on it, I don't get it every time, just randomly :S I'll probably try leaving the yeast in the bottle with wheats etc :(((( sigh!

@Pete, my colds usually get better after a few drinks anyway :p It has to be a dire situation where I have to pop a pill for it. Beer first, meds second for colds ;)

I bet she caught that when she'd been drinking too! Looks like you're all diagnosed, pf. Internet, you've done it again!

Hahaha ... I guess I should get a testing stick or something then. Dang, I have a class this evening and if it's true, I'd be the only woman in the workshop. Bummer.

In retrospect, maybe I should've been less of a caveman, preg cavewoman is not such an attractive thought :(

Back