Celtic red ale - Bridge Road Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
After Wolfman's kick-arse red ale which won him first prize at our last meeting/brew tasting, which he told us was inspired by Bridge Road Brewers Celtic Red Ale, I was inspired, too, to go back and sample a brew or two of that original Celtic Red Ale. I've had it a few times before and really liked it - though the flavour varies from bottle to bottle.

Anyway, bought a bottle at the Dan O'Connell Hotel today in between inebriating bouts of poetry (here's my poetic licence, officer, I'm sure I wasn't over the limit....). And you know what it tasted like? It tasted sour! Not an unpleasant sour - just a bit like a fruit, with a hint of acidity and sourness to it; almost no hop flavour at all. I poured it in the glass and caught a whiff of it: some sweetness, bit of biscuity maltiness, and a slight.... pungent smell to it, something I occasionally get from old socks or the boot of cars.....!

I know that Bridge Road Brewers prime their bottles with live yeast, old school style. So I took a squiz on the side of the bottle; it said it had been bottled mid-January of this year. So my guess is in that time most of the strong hop flavours have dropped out; and the yeast has continued doing its work to produce some really interesting fruity esters - (or maybe there is a sourness in there anyway that I haven't noticed before because I've been drinking fresher versions).

And that's about it :)

Tim, I did the same thing.

Purchased a 6'er to share with some workmates at after work drinks on Friday, purely based on Wolfman's interpretation brew.

Very disappointed. Didn't enjoy it. Regretted buying it. Had one bottle and then went over the road for another beer.

Wolfman's had that amazing dark toffee vibe and some sweetness, this had little to none of that.

Btw. I haven't had this beer before, so I can't comment what it used to be like, but I would have thought an Irish Red would have much more malt forward than any emphasis on hops.

Also, for what it's worth... a year ago their Pale Ale was probably my favourite in the country. But the last few I've had seem to have changed, and not for the better. Hop profile seems different, less fruity and fresh.

Spiesy said:
Btw. I haven't had this beer before, so I can't comment what it used to be like, but I would have thought an Irish Red would have much more malt forward than any emphasis on hops.

Also, for what it's worth... a year ago their Pale Ale was probably my favourite in the country. But the last few I've had seem to have changed, and not for the better. Hop profile seems different, less fruity and fresh.
I have also noticed a difference in the Beechworth Pale Ale from only a couple of months ago to a six pack I got on Friday (which says bottled 31 March this year).

The recent one isn't a "bad" beer, but has more of a harsh bitterness and almost none of the fruity hop flavour that made me really like the beer in the first place - like you it was my favourite Australian APA, I'd bought some in April and still thought it was great. I didn't know if it was just me or if it was bad storage or similar, but it sounds like I wasn't imagining it.

I hope it's not a permanent feature of the beer going forward because if it is, while it wasn't bad as I said, I won't buy it again because there's much better beers easily available.

In a weird way I like that element of unpredictability.... perhaps not so good a marketing feature though!

I grabbed some of the Pale Ale this evening, and one of the red Ale. Pale Ale bottled 29 April 2014, Red 23 April. None of the earlier issues are present in the Pale Ale.

This is the first of the Red I've had, but definitely no sourness, acidity or off tastes that I can detect.

Perhaps they just had a bad run?

Tried the red ale tonight. Tasted pretty good night. No off flavours or sourness but was over carbed. It was bottled 1/5/14

I had a bottle of this a few months ago but I'm struggling to remember much detail apart from the fact that I enjoyed it.

But I enjoyed Shannon's beer more B)

I reckon any style based comp would be great

I had a good six pack of this a while ago but had an average bottle recently but that was probably storage related. I picked the wrong time to drop into the brewery today as my youngest was due for a sleep and hungry. Then my eldest whacked her head on the display table and I nearly bought forty odd pint glasses. So with two crying kids I sculled a quick saison, grabbed a mixed sixer and a couple of glasses, and headed for the bakery. You shoulda seen the looks on all the hipsters faces. It was like someone had forgotten to put rocket on their pizza.
Didn't get to try their pale or red ale fresh (this time) but the ipa's and pils I grabbed were delicious.

You shoulda seen the looks on all the hipsters faces. It was like someone had forgotten to put rocket on their pizza.

Hey.... that's roquette around here. Also acceptable: arugula.

UPDATE: Talking about rocket v roquette: anyone remember this?

http://youtu.be/xTQjT8r6dLE

"Bouquet? Oh - it's Bucket!"

Latest posts

Back