New brewer here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikZak

Reaction score
Hey folks

My name's Nick, I've been thinking and dreaming about one day starting my own homebrew beer for many years and have finally gone and bought myself a starter.

Basically I bought a Coopers (Mr. Beer) craft brew kit, which only makes about 8 liters of beer at any one time, but comes with pretty much everything you need (except sanitizer as I discovered when I opened it and started my first batch last weekend)

Well, I got my first brew in the fermenter according to the instructions and had it kicking along for a couple of days when it stopped bubbling. I thought it was finished so I took a gravity reading, it only came to 1.024 (OG was 1.046) which tells me it's not done. Also did a taste test and it tastes carbonated as well as still a little sweet

Discouraged, I went to a LHBS and asked a few questions, the guy there suggested perhaps the temperature in my brew room was too cool as I don't have central heating in my house and it gets quite cold (15 degrees is not unusual, going to be good for bottling) and that my yeast had probably gone into dormancy. While I was there I also picked up a second fermenter, this time a 6 gallon job with a proper airlock as well as some Stout LME and some Stout brew enhancer (suggested by the guy) as well as some proper sanitizer.

So I checked the thermometer on the side when I got home and it was reading 16-18 degrees... too cold so I've put a small oil heater in the room with it and am now keeping the ambient air temperature around the 22-24 degrees mark. I'm at work now so hopefully when I get home it'll have restarted fermenting.

Last night I also got my second fermenter going with the Stout (OG 1.066, should be a strong one!) as well as ordered some more bottles and a digital thermostat to connect inline with the oil heater to keep the room more stable than the oil heater's thermostat can manage.

Anyway, so my plan is that once the first batch is done, I'm going to probably retire the tiny Coopers fermenter from beer duties and concern it with small batches of Cider (as that's the missus drink of choice)

That's basically my story to now, but if anyone could answer a couple of questions, that would be awesome:

1. Will putting an oil heater in the room with the brews (that room is a big walk-in linen press off my laundry where the temperature tends to stay stable and there are no windows or light in there which is nice) cause any ill effects? I don't imagine it would but have the thermostat on the way to keep it more stable

2. If my yeast has indeed gone dormant, will it reactivate once it's active temperature is again reached or was the LHBS clerk pulling my leg?

3. The air lock on my 6 gal fermenter doesn't deem to go all the way into the rubber grommet, only the first 5mm or so go in and it doesn't protrude through the lid. Is this normal? It does seal but doesn't look or feel secure

Other than that guys, thanks for providing this great resource site here, I hope to learn a great deal and be producing some fantastic brews pretty soon (expecting my first couple will probably not be spectacular)

Nick

Welcome and good luck on the home brew journey!

As for the questions
1. The only ill affect I can see is the bill....a lot of people convert an old fridge into a temp control chamber. A heat pad/belt is also an option (not for cooling though with summer coming!)

2. Yes it should wake up. Once its warmer give the FV a gentle swirl (you can do this without opening it) to encourage the little buggers

3. Push it in more? as long as its sanitised too, no issue with it poking in a bit. FYI the airlocks are rarely completely air tight under pressure anyway

Hey Krausen

I've put a fair bit of force into the airlock to try and push it in, lubricated it with sanitizer and twisted it

I've done all but push the grommet into the wort and obviously want to avoid that as finding a black grommet sunk to the bottom of a batch of stout is going to make for a sad and disappointing afternoon

I'm thinking it shouldn't matter, I'll ream out the hole in the lid as I think the problem with it is that the hole they drilled into the lid to install the grommet was just a tiny bit too narrow and reinstall the grommet with a bit of food grade silicone after this batch runs.

Sounds like a plan.

If it is already that tight, then it should be fine for the brew and just fix up later

If it is causing problems, you could always glad wrap the lid :ph34r:

Welcome Nik.

My first piece of advice would be to throw the airlock away. Use glad wrap and rubber band as a lid. :p There are loads on here that do it (where I learned of it as an idea). I feel less anxiety as there are no blooping sounds to start or stop.

Trust the hydrometer as you are.

Temp control and good sanitizer are the best homebrew investments you can make.

Get a bigger / deeper wallet and hang on for the ride. Whoever says homebrew is cheap beer to make has never got hooked on homebrew as a hobby!

Cheers,
D80

yeah that happens a lot that the airlock won't go fully into the grommet. as long as it is tight it will be fine. The ferment should get going again once it gets warm, but like Krausen said you might need to give it a little swirl. You are probably better off getting some different yeast rather than heating the whole room. 16-18 degrees is actually a perfect ale fermentation range if you use a yeast like US-05. It's readily available at most home brew stores and is the most versatile ale yeast because it ferments very "cleanly" at that 16-18 degree range. A lot of guys spend a lot of money on fridges and temp controllers to get their beer to ferment at that temp so you should consider yourself lucky!

edit: don't listen to the glad wrap brigade. go the air lock :)

yeah I think I'm more comfortable with a proper airlock (sorry to the glad wrap enthusiasts :) )at least for now

I know that my temps are probably great for brewing but unfortunately my yeasts at the moment don't seem to like it... either that or I'm doing something seriously wrong. Perhaps next time I go by the homebrew shop I'll pick up some lower temp yeast...

Does the actual variety of yeast make any discernible difference to the outcome? I noticed in the cider thread that a brewer tried the same exact mixture of apples brewed with two different yeasts produced a difference in the flavor. Will this be the same with beer?

Coodgee said:
...but like Krausen said ...
I dont know why I am now known as Krausen, but I like it :D

Yes yeast will make a noticeable difference. As said, US-05 is a great flexible and neutral yeast to start with. Once you land a recipe you like, try a few different yeasts that work with that style and compare

No worries guys...

Well, I had myself a bit of a shock on the weekend. I've got Sodium Metabisulfite for my sanitizer from the LHBS and when I opened it on Sunday to sanitize my bottles and such for bottling it made a pssst sound like it was pressurized. Me being the dipstick that I am, I though 'oh no, has it gone off? I'll take a sniff to see if it smells bad'

Those who've done this before will probably see where this is going...

DON'T INHALE SODIUM METABISULFITE VAPORS!

It's not bad for you per se but you will have a terrible next few hours. My nose didn't stop running for about 10 hours, my eyes watered for about 2 and I couldn't breathe through my nose until I woke up this morning (about 18 hours later). My nose is still a little inflamed inside in one of my nostrils but I can breathe properly now at least

I repeat... DO NOT INHALE SODIUM METABISULFITE VAPORS!

On the plus side, I got my first brew into bottles and it's now in a quiet little cupboard carbonating and clearing up... Just curious, should it be in the fridge or in a room temp cupboard for this stage?

The bottles need to be at room temperature for a couple of weeks to carbonate. The warmer they are the quicker they will carb.

Awesome, thanks pokey... Maybe I'll put them in my brew room which is kept at 22 degrees, that should speed up the carbonation

Hey folks, just an update on the brews I have going...

Stout is slowed down in its bubbling and is sitting at 1.014, I don't think it's quite ready yet, any ideas how far it should go before it's ready?

Cider has been bottled, tastes amazing and damn is it strong! One whiskey glass full was enough to make me very drunk. Didn't take SG reading at the start so I have no idea what the ABV is but it's certainly stronger than 8% given how little I had and how I felt

Golden Ale has been sitting a few days and is starting to clear up a little in the top inch of the bottles, looking forward to that

NikZak said:
Stout is slowed down in its bubbling and is sitting at 1.014, I don't think it's quite ready yet, any ideas how far it should go before it's ready?
Certainly in the ballpark, but as always - it depends.

It's "done" when:
- attenuation is within the expected range of the yeast
- SG has been stable over a few days

If it has been less than a week since pitched, it is most likely not ready to bottle. Even if fermentation has completely finished it's still good to leave it for a few days to let the yeast "clean up" any off flavours.

All my brews get minimum 10 days, in fact they usually get closer to 3 weeks before I cold crash & keg. There are lots of factors that influence the time in primary - yeast, pitching rate, oxygenation method, temperature and OG (& doubtlessly more). I tend to brew higher OG beers and ferment cooler, hence the 3 weeks.

You're not going to lose anything by leaving it in the fermenter for another week, just to be sure, but ultimately it's up to you (it's your beer!). But bottle bombs suck. I know, I've been there and I've (hopefully) learned.

Oh yeah, it's only been in the fermenter for 6 days so i'm definitely going to let it keep going at least another week, no matter what the SG comes out at over the next few days. Flavor is good so far though

I'm very excited... already planning on getting a third fermenter to do a bigger batch of cider as the first turned out delicious... might even stick with the baker's yeast for the cider for now as I really don't mind the flavor that came out

Bear in mind, this was straight out of the primary

actually, that brings me to another question... How necessary is it to rack to a secondary for cider?

No need to rack to secondary FV

If you are using apple juice, there wont be any break material / hops sitting on the bottom of the FV so I cant see any benefit of getting it off the yeast cake.
A cold crash would achieve the same thing.

Did you add sugar etc? would explain the high ABV
Skip the sugar if you dont want the alcohol taste

Yeah I added one cup of sugar to one 2L batch, 1.5 cups to another 2L batch and 1 cup to the third 1L batch (basically giving me an experimental difference of 1:2, 1:1 and 2:3 for the sugar in each batch)

I've got some EC-1118 now and just need to get get about 8L of apple juice to try it out in the Coopers little fermenter I got but want to know which ratio to go with. Unfortunately, I didn't measure the OG of these experiments

Basically I know the 1118 tops out at about 18% ABV so I know I should roughly be aiming for a starting SG of about 1.130 which by 1.000 should get me about 17% assuming 100% conversion. I just don't know quite how much sugar I should add to apple juice to get me to this level

After it's finished fermenting, the plan will be to dilute it with apple juice or other juice for different flavor and to bring the ABV down and make it more drinkable and not so sippable

Actually, one other question..., I've got 125g of dry EC-1118. With regards to storage, it's in a bag which once I open It risks getting moist in my fridge. I presume it'll be totally safe to put it into a cleaned and sanitized and dry Dolmio jar yeah?

NikZak said:
I'm very excited... already planning on getting a third fermenter to do a bigger batch of cider as the first turned out delicious... might even stick with the baker's yeast for the cider for now as I really don't mind the flavor that came out

Bear in mind, this was straight out of the primary

actually, that brings me to another question... How necessary is it to rack to a secondary for cider?
Bakers yeast. I didn't even know bakers yeast fermented alcohol.

Latest posts

Back