Bottles Ain't Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Well I'm finally migrating some of my output from my beloved and faithful ALDI 2L PET bottles to 750ml PET. At the same time I have been collecting several dozen Bavaria green tallie bottles because they are great for capping, being crown seal not twist (and please keep them so Mr Bavaria). They are only $11 for 3 so good Euroswill for the price.

They are also verry pretty and just the job for decanting a lager into, to swig from the bottle as the perfect lawnmower beer, take visiting to impress people or put in a comp etc. However they are 660 ml as opposed to 750 ml and therefore a bit 'non standard' for Australian bottles.

The other night I wanted to take some clear Bribie Bitter to the BABBS meeting so I chilled some 750 PET of my Bribie Bitter Melbourne Bitter wannabe, and carefully decanted into Bavaria 660 ml bottles, expecting some wastage obviously. Virtually the whole PET went into the glass bottle and I had to stop to avoid the yeast bullet going in as well. Hmm what's going on.

So just now I did an experiment with a PET 750, a xxxx 750 and a Bavaria 660.

bottles_comparo.JPG

The PET is at a fairly typical meniscus level and the volume as shown has been transferred to each of the glass bottles.

So allowing for withholding a few ml of sediment when decanting from PET to glass the greenie seems to be the go (it would reduce that high meniscus in the photo to a normal one). At only 660 that surprises me because you would think that 660 is a bit pissy compared to our usual 750, but I'm glad I did the experiment. Looks like I'll be drinking some more Bavaria for the time being till I get my desired stock of bottles up :beerbang:
Currently cold conditioning a brew that I'll bottle 'on clear' and use the greenies for the whole brew and use them as lawnmower swiggers.

So...the good old Coopers PET bottles aren't 750ml? Whats with that?

Good testing, Bribie - loving the XXXX bottle, by the way :D

Cheers - boingk

Currently cold conditioning a brew that I'll bottle 'on clear' and use the greenies for the whole brew and use them as lawnmower swiggers.

I wish I had some lawn. Can I come play on yours ;)

Or you're getting an extra 90ml from the Bavaria bottles.

Which one is it? :)
I reckon its the Coopers with less, as they don't fill the XXXX 750ml bottle up. Unless I'm mssing something and its a different capacity.

Sure thing, as long as your display pic is an accurate representation of you :D

Or you're getting an extra 90ml from the Bavaria bottles.

Which one is it?

Well that's a good point, I'll have to buy three on my next day off and decant one into a 750 PET and see what happens.

We've had so much rain here lately it took me an hour to mow today, but I finished mowing at beer o'clock and downed a couple of the said greenies in about ten minutes. :chug: Come and mow whenever you like .... plenty of cold in stock. ;)

Well that's a good point, I'll have to buy three on my next day off and decant one into a 750 PET and see what happens.
Or maybe you could just get out your measuring jug and...

...nah, the hell with that. Buy a few more and test it rigorously ;)

- boingk

I bottle in a combo of 330ml stubbies and Coopers PETS....

I get 2 nicely poured schooner from the 330ml and exactly 2 nicely poured schooners from the PET, although i do decant into a jug first with the longies....

You do the maths. :p

I get 2 nicely poured schooner from the 330ml and exactly 2 nicely poured schooners from the PET, although i do decant into a jug first with the longies....

Aint beer wonderfull :lol:

that doesnt add up at all. maybe i need more beer to aid in the measuring and counting

Yeah, I had much the same idea BribieG- they're drinkable the Bavarias, only $11 for 3, and come as (supposedly) 660ml crowns. I think I've got about 60 of them at the mo. Could never work out why a Dutch brewery was calling it Bavaria though. :blink: The website was crap, didn't enlighten me either.
I wondered though if they were fairly thin- walled, but so far I've never had a bottle bomb. Of any bottle type. But I'm not big on ramping up the carbonation, just gives me the uckhips anyway. But, in hindsight, that's two lollies in 660ml bottle when I did it that way. Hmmm, food for thought, but I guess the results to date speak for themselves.

Anyway, I've grabbed a few random empties and weighed them empty, at that high water mark and completely full. I have good rainwater, should be spot on for density. [Sound of fork tearing... ]
Results in grams
Sample# Empty High_Water_Mark Full Calc_HWM_Vol Calc_Full_Vol
1 354 1012 1034 658 680
2 356 1011 1037 655 681
3 354 1007 1034 653 680

[Sorry, my column formatting is stripped out by forum software... The last two columns are the interesting ones.]

The High Water Mark is about 2" from the top, a bit rough but probably good enough for us, although the NATA weights & measures chaps would take a closer look. Anyway, we can see that the 660ml is pretty darned close. We could get a little more scientific and get fresh ones and empty them _properly_, but I think its good enough! Sorry to disappoint! :D

So, back on topic, the Bavaria bottles seem to be fairdinkum for volume.

Also, BribieG- now I see how to take the good beer-in-a-glass/bottle pictures- just do it with good backlighting... :rolleyes: I will redo that dark- looking Bishop's pic in the morrow too. Goodonyas!

Well I get two pints (sa) or two schooners (nsw) from a coopers pet. so 2 x 375 = 750.

Latest posts

Back