Bottle-primed: How Long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krausen said:
"Batch priming is the only consistent approach for the future. Best of luck."

(can't get the quote thing to work)

I understand that now, but what I wonder is, how do you do it? At the bottom of the secondary for that batch after a week was a hefty dose of sediment - which was great, as the bottled beer is very clear.
Obviously you don't want to stir it just before bottling. So even if you mix the dextrose with the boiling water to dissolve it (I understand that's the best approach?), then pour it into the secondary, how do you ensure it's evenly distributed without stirring sediment too much? I don't really want to transfer to another recipient again.

What's your technique? Are you just stirring with a plastic spoon very slowly above the sediment and hope it won't be stirred?

edit: and thanks plastic man for the link :)

When I bulk prime, I transfer to another fermenter with the priming liquid already in it. The swirling from the end of the siphon seems to give a good mix.

kit kat how has your beer carbonation turned out with that lager that you had trouble with a few weeks back has it gassed up yet
cheers
fergi

yes indeed it has, thanks for asking. I can now get a nice head, though there aren't many bubbles in the beer for long after that.

On the other hand a pale ale I bottle-primed with dextrose has way more carbonation after just 10 days than the lager after 4+ weeks. I think I'll forget about carbonation drops.

One thing, with the lager: if I put it in the fridge, it comes out flat. If I pour it out at room temp (in both cases in a cold glass), I get bubbles and the head. In both cases there is a hiss, so the individual bottle is not to blame. Is that due to the difference in temperature (do bubbles contract? :) ). Maybe I should store them at a cooler temperature so they don't get a shock when put in the fridge. On the other hand the pale ales don't have that problem at all.

kit kat i think that when the beer is colder it realeses the bubbles a lot slower than when the beer is warm,not good to drink though when warm,i tell you what i have found also when i have some brews which are not as gassy as i would like ,i know this is a bit more of an effort but i put a glass jug in the freezer for about 20 minutes then i take out the bottle from the fridge and pour the bottle into the jug ,dont worry about the excess head i try to get this on purpose then i sit the jug back in the freezer for only 5 minutes then i pour the jug into my glass,this then gives me a really cold beer and it has a really good head and bubbles,dont ask me why this works it just does,also with pouring all the beer into the jug first up you save that last half inch or so in the bottle from going into your glass and then you can pour from the jug again and still have clear beer,i put the jug straight back into the freezer after i have poured my beer and in this way it keeps the beer really cold.by the way i am talking long necks here not stubbies
cheers
fergi

Latest posts

Back