Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or better yet, go to the HBS with a young'un ....and have the eypatch on the kid. :lol:

What`s with these mysterious messages that keep changing in your sig?
Who or what are you referring to?

stagga.

I diffused all bombs last night... I opened about 20 but after two whose caps flew off and spat out half the contents of the bottle in about a second, I decided to just drop the remainder one by one into the recycling bin with the lid shut.

Had some explosions aboutafter they hit the bottom (an almighty bang) and others broke / exploded as they hit the bottom.

Anyway I learnt my lesson: The hydrometer is your friend... actually that will be my signature from now on ;).

Tonight I'm putting on my next brew which will be coopers pale ale with a proper yeast... and I'm using my fridge with the temp mate for the first time.

This will be my first great brew :)

Thanks for everyone's help, this forum is a wealth of beer goodness.

Sorry to hear about the bottle bombs, but lesson learnt and you will now be a better brewer for it!

Good luck with the next brew and temp controlled fridge (these are great!!!)

:icon_cheers: SJ

Corne Mate welcome to the club of the hydro boy's. Unfortunately it was a tough lesson for ya. Ginger beer bottle bombs have to be one of the most volitile of the bunch and you were lucky to get it over and done with first go.

Really glad to see your getting back on the horse.

Looks like you've got it all laying at your feet and A+ for the tempmate. Next best thing to have in the kit bag besides a hydro :lol: !

Can't go wrong with the Coopers Pale Ale and some decent yeasties... :icon_drool2:

Do yourself a favour and search the kit and extracts section for "CPA". There are some really good recipes there that may give you further inspiration. Also do yourself a favour and buy the brew enhancer 2 (BE2) that coopers bring out. It will improve it no end...

Good luck and keep brewing and chugging.

Thanks, do I add the brew enhancer 2 when I first mix the batch up?

Brew Enhancer would be added instead of your 1kg of dextrose.

From memory Coopers Brew Enhancer is a mix of dextrose, dried malt extract and corn syrup (not sure about the last one).

It will make a better beer than just dropping in a kg of dextrose, but if you go grab a bag of dried malt extract from your LHBS, that on its own will do a better job and probably be cheaper in the long run.

be2= 250g malt, 500g dextrose, 250g maltodextin (aka corn syrup...but thats a stupid bloody name for a powder. Plus, it can be used interchangeably to mean a highly fermentable liquid sugar which is a blend of fructose and glucose. bit I ramble...)

SJ has it right again (Damn him) except....

"Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention. The Light Dry Malt, being 100% pale malt, will further add to the body and increase the malt character of your favourite brew. Great for use with any beer styles where a fuller, maltier flavour is preferred."

Hot off their website.

A full LDME brew is sensational :icon_drool2: A+ for the suggestion SJ! But don't you have to up that weight though? Damn beer soaked brain can't recall! (I'll be back... where is beersmith?)

OT: err Coopers website looks like it's had a face lift since I was last there?

Hmm... stretching the memory banks here, but I normally would use about 2 x 1.5kg unhopped cans of LME in a 20-22 litre brew (with upto 500gms steeped). Bearing in mind these cans are approx 20% water, that means that 1.2kg of LDME should be used. I think.

Could always dissolve 1kg, check the gravity and add more if it falls short of the expected OG.

(My brain is not so much beer-soaked at the moment, but beaten to a pulp by a damn ERP system straight from the Devil's own IT dept)

Back