Bottle Bombs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corneg

Reaction score
So I bought this kit from my local brew shop and the guy said not to use the hydrometer because with the ginger beer there's too many bubbles to get an accurate reading. He said that I should leave it to ferment for two weeks to ensure the fermentation has finished and then bottle it which is what I did.

It's been a week and a half since I bottled the batch and last night one of the bottled exploded. Since then another four popped.

What's the best way to deal with this, can I take the lids off and put new lids on? Will that resolve the problem?

Weeeeeeee I Looovvveee bottle bombs!!! Just like 4th of July but only sticky and soggy

Welcome to the forum Mate.

Firstly did you prime the bottles? Or in other words did you put any sugar into the bottles and if so how much?

Also be care careful with them till this is solved. Exploding glass EQUAL very sharp shrapnel.

So I bought this kit from my local brew shop and the guy said not to use the hydrometer because with the ginger beer there's too many bubbles to get an accurate reading. He said that I should leave it to ferment for two weeks to ensure the fermentation has finished and then bottle it which is what I did.

It's been a week and a half since I bottled the batch and last night one of the bottled exploded. Since then another four popped.

What's the best way to deal with this, can I take the lids off and put new lids on? Will that resolve the problem?

Welcome to the forums.

Yes remove those caps immediately and recap.

You can transfer some bottles into PET containers, and by giving a squeeze this will give you an indication of carbonation, hence as a warning for the rest of your bottles.

I would still be checking that your hydrometer readings are consistent over a 24 - 48 hour period prior to bottling.

It's worth a try, but make sure you wear some protective clothing, especially goggles!

I haven't made a ginger beer yet, but I think it's pretty stupid of the LHBS guy to say don't use a hydrometer. It could've still been fermenting. I know it's not the same yeast and all, but my last beer, a saison, took 7 weeks to finish.
How much sugar did you add to the bottles when you bottled them?

Use extreme caution!
Cover bottle with a towel or blanket before handling, gloves and goggles/welding mask could be the go.
Open bottles carefully as you can expect beer fountains.
Recap and test one in a weeks time, if again lively recap again.

As for why it happened, unsure how long ginger beer takes to ferment out so cant say if two weeks is OK but yuo should use the hydrometer to establish end of ferment. You can spin hydrometer before reading if you are getting bubbles clinging to it. A steady reading over three days before bottling.

Nige

You're in trouble my man. CAUTION. You could try recapping and it should resolve the problem, BUT they will probably gush everywhere when you open them :( Tell the dick at the LHBS that you now ALWAYS use the hydrometer. You will still get the right reading when the bubbles die down. At last count there are about 50 million replies stating only use the hydrometer to determine if fermentation has finished :p .
Remember to wear some safety gear - goggles, gloves, maybe some old clothes too - I reckon they'll gush.
Chalk it up to experience & remember - even the 'experts' are sometimes wrong.
mckenry

Thanks for the response. I used those sugar drops and only added on per bottle (375ml) so that should be fine. It must've still been fermenting. funny this is it never bubbled throughout the fermentation process...

Thanks for the response. I used those sugar drops and only added on per bottle (375ml) so that should be fine. It must've still been fermenting. funny this is it never bubbled throughout the fermentation process...

As you will see if you browse the topics in this forum bubbling or no bubbling through the airlock is not something to be relied upon!
Use a hydrometer everytime.

Nige

You're best off asking buttersd about airlock problems :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it's pretty stupid of the LHBS guy to say don't use a hydrometer

"pretty stupid" doesn't even begin to describe it. Completely moronic, more like it....(not having a go at you corne....somebody who should know better gave you some advice....it was perfectly reasonable of you to expect that an experienced hbs proprietor would be right. It's entirely his fault, imo.)

If you want to try to prevent gushing, chill the lot first, as cold as you can get it....then take them out, and open (as said, carefully). Hopefully they won't gush....then, instead of capping straight away, just sit the caps on the bottles, unsealed. Leave them for about an hour, then cap tight. (you'll need to leave them unsealed for a while, cos they're cold, and it will take longer for them to release the co2. Which is what stops them from gushing)

Edit: Airlock accidents were the leading cause of death amongst kittens last year. Studies conducted by several leading universities have confirmed this to be true.

There we go that's the culprit! Ginger beer is very lively sole and carbs up very very well without the sugar drops. I stand corrected but the fermentation may not have been as complete as desired...

Ok as what everybody has said above you have been given a major bottom steer there but not to worry. Err basically your gunna get wet and sticky my friend... Wear protective clothing and get them out of the house. Chill em down if you can get em into the fridge. I doubt that it's worth saving the product but at least you can save a the bottles. If you have kids and or pets this is not for spectators keep them well away.

I am talking for experience here... I had a batch that were like hand grenades, I ended up shooting them with the nail gun because I'm a woosey boy and I shate myself everytime one exploded in my hands getting them out of the garage! Back then the fridge was inside I wasn't taken on the bottles and misses all at once! :lol:

Anyway get right back on the saddle and have another go...

"pretty stupid" doesn't even begin to describe it. Completely moronic, more like it....(not having a go at you corne....somebody who should know better gave you some advice....it was perfectly reasonable of you to expect that an experienced hbs proprietor would be right. It's entirely his fault, imo.)

If you want to try to prevent gushing, chill the lot first, as cold as you can get it....then take them out, and open (as said, carefully). Hopefully they won't gush....then, instead of capping straight away, just sit the caps on the bottles, unsealed. Leave them for about an hour, then cap tight. (you'll need to leave them unsealed for a while, cos they're cold, and it will take longer for them to release the co2. Which is what stops them from gushing)

Edit: Airlock accidents were the leading cause of death amongst kittens last year. Studies conducted by several leading universities have confirmed this to be true.

and move them around gently so you dont stir them up - bit like butters actually

hmmm.... I may just empty the bottles and make a new batch, I don't like the idea of having potential explosive bottles around the house...

Anyway, next batch I'll use the hydrometer I guess :)

take one of the unexploded bottles to the LHBS guy and ask him to open it....

How anyone who owns a brew shop could possibly tell someone to not use a hydrometer is beyond me!!

hmmm.... I may just empty the bottles and make a new batch, I don't like the idea of having potential explosive bottles around the house...

Anyway, next batch I'll use the hydrometer I guess :)

Good on ya! Get back on the saddle!

And if the airlock stops bubbling PM Butters about it! :lol:

(In house joke my Cornie just type "kittens" into the search engine, click on anything that mentions airlock find MrButters replies)

take one of the unexploded bottles to the LHBS guy and ask him to open it....

How anyone who owns a brew shop could possibly tell someone to not use a hydrometer is beyond me!!

Apparently easily. <_<

I've never brewed a ginger beer, but the carb level is much higher than beer therefore making sure fermentation is finished is far more important.

Corne, dont waste all your hard work. Follow butters instructions and chill them. Loosen the caps to release the excess CO2 and then recap. Keep them chilled and they should be OK. I'd look for a better LHBS though ;)

I don`t wish to be rude, but can you provide some credible evidence of that please?
If not, it will have to be consigned to......

Today is Airlock Ribbon day, RIP little kitties.

I'd be going back to that HBS with an eye patch on and tell the fool that because of his stupid advice you nearly lost an eye. I'd say he'd shit his pants

I'd be going back to that HBS with an eye patch on and tell the fool that because of his stupid advice you nearly lost an eye. I'd say he'd shit his pants

or better yet, go to the HBS with a young'un ....and have the eypatch on the kid. :lol:

Back