Borret's Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Borret,
I need to build a grain mill and your's is sooooo sexy...... Though, 3d modelling is a bit of overkill. I'd be happy with some simple 2d plans.

Cheers,
David

3d modelling is easier than drafting and the drawing are basically automatically produced from the model. Too easy!

Borret

Tony said:
I mix in 50 to 100mls of water to the dry grain and let it sit for 15 min. Ray daniels recomends 2% of grain weight. It helps keep the husks completly whole and give a fine crush for extra efficiency.

[post="56790"][/post]​

Stupid question, but how do you manage to distribute 100ml through several kilo's of grain evenly?

Easy.

I just put the dry grain in a large (19liter) pot and 3/4 fill a small baby food bottle with tap water. I just pour it over the top and then miz it in with my hands by turning the grain over from the bottom th the top.

It mixes eavenly, you wouldn't believe it but it does. I put the lid on the pot and let stand for 15 min to 1/2 hr.

I then switch on the mill, pour in the grain and away she goes.

It doesnt make the grain "wet" It just gives a damp enviroment to soften the husks. I still get dust out of my mill (going to enclose it next to stop the white haze thet settles on the cars in the garage) and have been getting 75 to 80% efficiency.

Cheers.

Hey borret, i have had a lot of inquiries about building mills for people and drawing up plans. Even had an offer to make them on a comercial scale but like you, i dont have the time.

Maybe we should draw up some plans and put them on a post so people can have a go at building on themselves. I looked at lots of mills on the met and used features from lots and some of my own ideas to build mine. Im sure you did the same.

I think everyone who has a home made big roller mill should publish some basic plans and/or some detailed pictures to help those who dont have the technical knowhow (its allright for us who work in industry with engineering expertise).

What do you think. I could make a basic drawing of my rollers etc in a word doc. Will they work?

Tony said:
I think everyone who has a home made big roller mill should publish some basic plans and/or some detailed pictures to help those who dont have the technical knowhow (its allright for us who work in industry with engineering expertise).
[post="56900"][/post]​
You mean like this:

http://brewiki.org/RollerMill

That Brewiki is an excellent site Pumpy

I have made a little progress so far.
final.jpg
A little more time should bring it up nicely. (including colour) When and if I do some plans I might convert to pdf so anyone can print it.

I must agree with Pumpy. Brewiki is a top site. 'Well done' on it. :super:

Cheers

Borret :blink:

The Pumpy's Mill pales into insignificance after Borrets & Tonys but it does a great job .

Pumpy

I now have the complete virtual mill. :ph34r: Just need me some virtual grain <_< and we're laughin'.

final2.jpg

Sorry can't help myself. Now with Branding

final3.jpg

Jeeez.... That is sooo damn sexy; can't look at my mill straight in the eye anymore...

looking real good borret.
this has inspired me to spruce up the bc by making a large lexan hopper.

cheers
big d

I do have my grain mill design tied up with patents and there are some similarities with mine I may be placing a law suite against the copyright breaches

Pumpy mill corperation est. last year

Sorry, Crazy Eyes Brewery :blink: (patent holder of the Gristinator) did do a patent search before it commenced it's extensive R & D programme on this project. The pumpy mill did come up but it was clear that the Gristinator showed more than 20% imorvement in function and aesthetics. The design is now registered........
Would you like the name of my patent attorney and we can talk some more.

mmmmmmm a patent hey.

Thats not a bad idea B)

The idea is good but the cost of it would totally throw out the window the dollars you saved in building your own mill. And a patent is nothing unless you support it. The patent at a few thousand bucks is worthless unless you a prepared to foot the court bills to back it up. Bla Bla Bla.

If anyone wants to build it then take it as a compliment I say. It's for the greater good. Hey why not even give em a hand.

Whats a black patent Big D, It doesnt sound good.

Here are some picks of the build up on my mill. Its not as sezy as borrets mill but it works well

I love the 3D imaging Borret, whats the software you used?

cheers :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back