Bop Shop Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superoo

Reaction score
Just wonderiong what sort of filtering system the Brew-On-Premises shops use ?

I saw in the local BopShop, they use a filter unit thats probably only 2-3 times the size of my filter unit. Not sure what filtering media they use.

Surely they dont stuff around changing / cleaning filter elements every 60L brew, or do they ?

My reason for asking...

I'm a lazy *******, and...

I find it a bit of a pain cleaning the filter / housing etc, so havent filtered for ages now, but if I could find a simpler method I'd do it again for the odd brew where a brew sceptic tries one of my finest..

Also have considered just jamming my filter housing full of chux wipes (moist with starsan of course), and gravity filtering straight to keg, or maybe using that blue paper hand towel stuff. Then its just throw away filters.
I know it wouldnt work as fine as a standard filter element, but it would remove any small hop particles etc, and should brighten the beer a bit.

Any thoughts on this ?

Also have considered just jamming my filter housing full of chux wipes (moist with starsan of course), and gravity filtering straight to keg, or maybe using that blue paper hand towel stuff. Then its just throw away filters.
I know it wouldnt work as fine as a standard filter element, but it would remove any small hop particles etc, and should brighten the beer a bit.

Any thoughts on this ?

There's no point at all in jamming your housing full of chux or anything that doesn't have a central pipe. The wort will simply move through a small amount of media and nothing more. If you wanted to use chux etc you would need an inline filter but good luck as that would clog like a mofo :)

Just wonderiong what sort of filtering system the Brew-On-Premises shops use ?

I saw in the local BopShop, they use a filter unit thats probably only 2-3 times the size of my filter unit. Not sure what filtering media they use.

Surely they dont stuff around changing / cleaning filter elements every 60L brew, or do they ?

My reason for asking...

I find it a bit of a pain cleaning the filter / housing etc, so havent filtered for ages now, but if I could find a simpler method I'd do it again for the odd brew where a brew sceptic tries one of my finest..

Any thoughts on this ?

I would definately consider using the chux well rinsed of course, but the roar wipe, aka the blue paper hand towel stuff, is questionable IMO

We use the same size filters that we sell for homebrewers, so basically no difference other than the fact we use a 3 stage fiter - more cleaning, so not an option for you.

+++

If you cant be bothered cleaning your filter, don't filter, there is no easy fix & using chux will simply not work. For lazy bastards I'd recommend Geletin :p

Cheers Ross

There's no point at all in jamming your housing full of chux or anything that doesn't have a central pipe. The wort will simply move through a small amount of media and nothing more. If you wanted to use chux etc you would need an inline filter but good luck as that would clog like a mofo :)

Agreed,
would need to use a bit f silicon hose or something to make the wort travel all the way to the bottom and back up.

any idea what they use in Bop Shops ?

What kind of filter do you have? Takes me all of about 5 mins for initial clean of my filter after using it.
Quick back flush with hot water, open it up and spray with more hot water to get rid of most visible stuff, then chuck it into a bucket of hot napisan overnight. Next day rinse in hot water, chuck in some starsan in the housing. Let it soak for a bit, then let it dry out with the housing upturned on top of it ready for next time. All of about 20mins of actual effort.

Any thoughts on this ?

Yes

1. "I'm a lazy *******, and..."
2. "I find it a bit of a pain cleaning the filter / housing etc"

There's your problem.

Stop being so ******* lazy and clean your filter and housing.

Problem fixed.

HTH

BF

I take the cartridge out and sit it upright so that the bottom if flat on the bottom of the sink, then run hot water into the top. It fills up the inside of the cartridge with hot water which goes out through the filter membrane and pushes the beer out. Then I soak it.

It's not really that hard and I'm pretty damn lazy.

red bay brewery at cleveland has a 3 stage filter using same filters usually bought, same as like ross said.

Any thoughts on this ?

Beer will taste like chux....try it with a bottle of your favorite aussie lager.

I just wait for it to drop clear with time in the fridge and avoid low floccing yeast. I'm pretty lazy too.

Latest posts

Back