Bonj Replaces His Vw Wheels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonj

Premier Ipswich Mash Proponent (PIMP)
Reaction score
Okay, the time has come.

After months of procrastination and confusion, I decided it was time to HTFU and just get it done, so I drew up some plans and bought the steel. After talking to Mobrien, he kindly offered to weld it up for me yesterday afternoon. I actually had a similar offer months ago from Browndog, which is much appreciated, but I was too slow and stupid, and with his new apprentice brewer, I decided to spare him the time and take Mobrien up on his offer. I know what little one's are like, and Browndog has already done so much to get my brewery going, so he deserved a break.

So, I spent yesterday afternoon grinding weld spots (which is quite a feat for a grinder virgin, and IT geek weakling wound into one), and mobrien spent the time joining all this steel together into the work of art you see below.

My next job is to brush all the welds and hit them with some cold galvanising primer, so the welds you see here are raw.

brewstand_photo.jpg

For comparison, this is what it did look like:
bonj_brewstand_img_2090.jpg

Its a sad sad day....an end to a era. :(

Is there a brewery museum Bonj you can send it to so our grand kids grand kids can look back in time

Rook

Dunno Bonj, I kinda like the ambience of the original.

Seriously though, well done - that will make your brewing so much easier and heaps safer.

Its a sad sad day....an end to a era. :(

Is there a brewery museum Bonj you can send it to so our grand kids grand kids can look back in time

Rook
I know, but the memory will live on in the photos.

Cheers for the compliments guys. The real compliments should go to Mobrien for his excellent welding, and to Browndog and Franko, from whom I stole the design. :super:

Very nice Bonj, I hope to get something like this one day.. but at the moment i have an old BBQ as my brewstand :p hope it holds up to all the weight on its first brew day

I considered an old BBQ when I first went AG, but I just wasn't sure about the weight, so I used the wheels and the table.

No apologies needed, Pete. I just thought I should start a new topic to try and keep the swap thread a little less off-topic (not easy with a Qld swap thread, I know, but I thought the new stand deserved its own thread anyway :p )

That's a nice looking stand Pete, but that garage looks WAY too neat. You need to take a few lessons from mine :p

Looks Tops mate, :beer:

So, I spent yesterday afternoon grinding weld spots (which is quite a feat for a grinder virgin, and IT geek weakling wound into one),
Reminds me , we had a little bloke start work with us. He picked up the 9 inch Grinder for the first time, he could bearly lift it.
Once he pulled the trigger, i deadset reckon he spun around 3 times before him and the grinder parted ways... :lol:

Sqyre... ;)

Excellent work there Ben, hope you got all your metal out of the scrap bin! I thought the design looked familiar, but I am wondering what is going to hold your burner in place mate? and where is your control box going to be mounted?

cheers

Browndog

Nice one Bonj and Mobrien on the Mk II version .

Must admit I think the Mk I version took a bit of beating .

pumpy :)

Well done Ben :beer: A good looking piece of kit. It just lacks the sense of adventure and spontaneity of your original set up :lol:

Perhaps you could have used a whole VW...
Mount the HLT on the roof racks with the Mash tun riding shot gun up front and the Kettle under the bonnet.

Look out here come's...Bonj's BrewMobile.

Sqyre... :rolleyes:

Excellent work there Ben, hope you got all your metal out of the scrap bin! I thought the design looked familiar, but I am wondering what is going to hold your burner in place mate? and where is your control box going to be mounted?

cheers

Browndog

Oops... hit reply before I answered....

The burner's going to sit on a sheet of something that will sit on top of the pieces on the right. That has yet to be done. The control box is probably going to go under the HLT on the left. I'm not up to that part yet, so I've got some time to think about it. You'll be disappointed to know that I didn't get any from the scrap bin, as I didn't have the time to go through it, and I saved labour time by using 2x full 8m lengths. The metal and labour for them to cut it came to a total of $136.80. Not too shabby, I thought.

Perhaps you could have used a whole VW...
Mount the HLT on the roof racks with the Mash tun riding shot gun up front and the Kettle under the bonnet.

Look out here come's...Bonj's BrewMobile.

Sqyre... :rolleyes:

LOL. :super: Actually, I do have a 1963 Beetle that isn't doing anything, but I'm going to sell it. I haven't touched it in 5 years, so it's time to face reality and get rid of it. I would have liked to restore it, but I'm just too lazy. If anyone's interested, make me an offer. Pickup only, from Beaudesert. :p

Good job Bonj , & mobrian ..

Funny I spent yesterday working on my brew stand as well , just about ready to go .. Waitingon a trip too town for some gas fittings .
also built the stand for my mill ...

Cheers

Okay, here's a mockup for all you whingers *cough* Troy *cough* :p
I already have the March pump (courtesy of SpecialK and Process Pumps)

Phase 2: HLT controller and timer
Phase 3: Larger mashtun
Phase 4: ????
Phase 5: Profit! :beer: :lol:

brewstand_mockup.jpg

Latest posts

Back