Bonj Replaces His Vw Wheels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Bonj, solid piece of stand you have now - how much does it weigh??

I loved that pic of the old brew rig, it's the kind of thing you need to print / frame and keep by the keg fridge. Looks like a dodgy moonshine makin' southern boy rig. If you know what I mean!

Cheers - Mike

Yeah, the 6 volt electrics isn't fun.
Either were:
Smashing a windscreen,
Engine catching on fire,
Dropping a valve through a piston,
Breaking untold numbers of clutch cables,
Losing brake hydraulics,
Breaking an accelerator pedal,
Burning out a clutch,
untold numbers of bearings, king pin bushes, flat tyres, unexplained reasons for not starting, flat and dead 6 volt batteries, deteriorated fuel sender unit gasket (and resultant boot full of petrol, and mouthful while syphoning it out of the leaking tank)

Ahh those rose tinted glasses. It was my first car too. :)

lol

Don't get me wrong. I think they're a great little car. The problem with them, and this one in particular, is that they're 45 years old. Wear and tear well and truly takes it's toll after 45 years.

Bullshit all that same stuff happened to my mates 63 in 1966 :lol: well most of it. But boy the memories, we went everywhere and did everything in that car. :rolleyes:

oh yeah....well said everything...do you remember the slings on the sides under the roof top? :rolleyes:

:icon_chickcheers:

They were hand straps Zwickel as you well know. <_<

My first car was a chaffcutter too. Another '63 model as luck would have it & a nice chocolate colour.
The thing I remember about it most was the spare gallon of fuel that was released into the main tank when you turned that lever on the LHS of the brake pedal with your foot. A great thing to have if you forgot to fill up before charging up to the Coast for the weekend.

TP :beer:

Must've been an early '63 model, Pete. The '63 I have was the first model with the fuel gauge as standard, and did away with the reserve lever. VW had a habit of just introducing changes whenever they felt like it, rather than specific model years, so those sort of changes happened quite a bit. The oval window was replaced half-way through the '57 model year. They also introduced changes in different countries at different times, so a '63 in Australia is likely to be kitted out differently to elsewhere. Our '62 model had strange half height tail lights that only lasted a year, and weren't seen in any other country. USA had a very unique '67 model like our '66 with a '68 frontend and 12V electrics, whereas our '67 was basically just a 12V '66 model.

Sorry Mvzoom, I forgot to answer your question.

It weighs a fair bit, but the castors really help. It's easy to push around, and if I need to flip it over for any reason (priming the welds), it's really easy. Not too bad actually.

Must've been an early '63 model, Pete. The '63 I have was the first model with the fuel gauge as standard, and did away with the reserve lever. VW had a habit of just introducing changes whenever they felt like it, rather than specific model years, so those sort of changes happened quite a bit. The oval window was replaced half-way through the '57 model year. They also introduced changes in different countries at different times, so a '63 in Australia is likely to be kitted out differently to elsewhere. Our '62 model had strange half height tail lights that only lasted a year, and weren't seen in any other country. USA had a very unique '67 model like our '66 with a '68 frontend and 12V electrics, whereas our '67 was basically just a 12V '66 model.

Bonj,

I had a bit of a think about it later on & recalled that my Vdub was a standard (Not the deluxe (?)) '621/2 model with no chrome trim, fuel gauge, chromed hubcaps or bumper bars to the best of my recollection.
You had to be a bit of a contortionist to have a naughty in a chaffcutter. :lol:

nice setup Bonj. Dont suppose you kept the plans for the rig? Im going to weld me up one myself and if youve done the hard work of drawing up the plans, it probably means I'll stop procrastinating about getting on with it.

You had to be a bit of a contortionist to have a naughty in a chaffcutter. :lol:

I knew a block who cut a hole in the floor of his to get a bit more leg room when he was on the job. :lol:

nice setup Bonj. Dont suppose you kept the plans for the rig? Im going to weld me up one myself and if youve done the hard work of drawing up the plans, it probably means I'll stop procrastinating about getting on with it.

I sure have. The drawing is a little rough, but should be ok.

brewstand.jpg

Hey Bonj, just something to think about... The RHS you have used is Gal, just be careful when you crank up your big arse burner under your kettle for the first time, the two cross members under your kettle will more than likely get warm enough to 'burn' the galvanising and release a few toxic fumes.

It may be a good idea to give it it's maiden run somewhere very well ventilated with plain water to avoid Bonj, or Bonj's first batch on the new rig, copping a gutfull of makeyousick

The gal does burn off but not only on the first run . if used outdoors its unnoticeable, but in the garage it could build up a bit , after about 5 or so brews you get an even area that gets a bit of surface rust on it and all is fine...

Cheers...

Hey Bonj, just something to think about... The RHS you have used is Gal, just be careful when you crank up your big arse burner under your kettle for the first time, the two cross members under your kettle will more than likely get warm enough to 'burn' the galvanising and release a few toxic fumes.

It may be a good idea to give it it's maiden run somewhere very well ventilated with plain water to avoid Bonj, or Bonj's first batch on the new rig, copping a gutfull of makeyousick
Yeah, probably a dry run would be in order before the first brew.

Who needs zinc supplements when you can just put it in your beer! :ph34r:

Thanks Duke... I think I'll survive :lol: I'll just have to get used to beer without rubber flavour :icon_vomit:

The control panel: Works a treat except I need to rewire the switches so they illuminate.
bonj_control_panel.jpg

The control panel: Works a treat except I need to rewire the switches so they illuminate.
bonj_control_panel.jpg

Love it! :icon_cheers:

Wish I had the electrical "confidence" to build something similar.

Edit: Spelling

Warren -

NICE ONE... i mean JUNK, give it to me for disposal, along with that damn stand... its a shame to fill your shed with that stuff :p

hehe :beer:

oh yeah....well said everything...do you remember the slings on the sides under the roof top? :rolleyes:

:icon_chickcheers:

Ahh the old Wiffwaffers, those were foot holders Zwickel :icon_chickcheers:

Back