Boil Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:icon_offtopic: to further derail this :p following advice on a random forum from Kirsten England, I made a berlinner weisse with 50% pils 50% wheat, just a long step mash and no boil, and there isn't a sign of dms or off flavours :icon_cheers:

Nothing to do with kits though.

Kits have been boiled twice during the process of making them, so no issues. It is just extract and grain brewers that need to be concerned.

For all grain, it will depend on which malt you use, most modern malts are not too bad. Also in stronger flavoured beers it will be harder to pick up, so in the case of a berliner it would be very hard to notice even if it was there at a resonable level.

A good quick read is
http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/dms.htm

From the chart on that site you can see if you want a really pale beer it could be worth doing the full 90min boil.

QldKev

Some of the reasons WHY you boil and why you need to boil for at least 60 mins...
Wort sterilization: Time & Temperature
Isomerisation of hops: Time & Temperature
Protein denaturation & enzyme inactivation: Time & Temperature
Protein coagulation: Turbulence, boil vigour & time
Formation of colour & flavour components: Time & Temperature
Removal of unwanted volatiles: Time, Temperature & Evaporation ( like DMS)
Formation of reducing agents: Time & Temperature
Wort concentration by evaporation: Time, Temperature & Evaporation
Also , if you have a high % of Pils malt , you need to boil for 90 min (inho) to lesser DMS...
I don't think you can not boil...unless you want a shit funky tip it on the lawn beer....
Cheers
Ferg

That's what i was going to say :ph34r:

Only thing to add is if you doing Pils a 100 minute boil should be considered if you have the time. The precursor to DMS halves every 30 minutes in the boil, the 100 minutes is to ensure you hit the 3 half lives and allow 10 minutes to boil off.

Note: The above will not work on PMS

Latest posts

Back