Boil Times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PryorBrewing

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a quick question, With boil times. I am putting down a recipe tomorrow That has 20 min addition and a 0 min addition.

My question is this, do i still need to do a full hours boil or can i just do the 20 min and 0 then chill my beer ??

Would love to know the same im only new to the boiling aspect so im trying to get my head around it.. is 0 min the same as flameout?

Hey Guys,

I have a quick question, With boil times. I am putting down a recipe tomorrow That has 20 min addition and a 0 min addition.

My question is this, do i still need to do a full hours boil or can i just do the 20 min and 0 then chill my beer ??

If you are doing a can o goo recipe, then you don't need to boil for 60mins. Just make up a small wort boil with a gravity of 1.040, and throw your hops in, boil for 20m, throw in the next hops and immediately take off the heat.

Boiling is done for very different reasons in all grain brewing however. But if it's a kit and a few bits n pieces, then you only need to boil for the hops additions.

Timryan
Yep, 0min is flameout.

20 minutes would be more than enough to kill any bacteria or introduced microorganisms introduced by the grain, unless you live in an extreme high altitude zone (Im guessing no).

If youre just using a can of goop, well, IMO you dont need to boil at all - of course you do for the hops, but otherwise it serves no purpose being that the liquid malt is in a sterile tin.

@timryan: 0 minutes = flameout.

creepy, we both posted 'can o goop' at the same time. :icon_cheers:

its up to you, with K&K and extract you can wait till it boils then throw in the hops and start the timer. With AG you need to do at least a 60min boil to boil off all the bugs and crap in the grain, Extract has already been boiled to the crap house so only need to boil as long as needed.

0 min additions are the same as flame out. but read the notes as some may be dry hopping or whirlpool hops.

Cheers Guys,
that explains it all haha.. I'm getting down to the boil idea down pat... Cheers Guys

With AG you need to do at least a 60min boil to boil off all the bugs and crap in the grain,

According to which references? Or are you just randomly repeating hearsay?

well there are other reasons but i cant remember what they are. well you can give it a go not to boil it but I wouldnt recommend it I left a cube over night and it was swollen and rank the next morning. I have not read up to much on AG as only done 2 batches but never heard of under 60min boil and have been recommended by guys that have been doing it longer then I have known what beer is to do a 90 min boil not that I do but there must be a reason been about a year since I was told why so cant tell you the reason behind it

I would call DMS crap silo :)

Cheers matho

yeah thats what I was thinking of knew it had a name lol

well there are other reasons but i cant remember what they are. well you can give it a go not to boil it but I wouldnt recommend it I
Some of the reasons WHY you boil and why you need to boil for at least 60 mins...
Wort sterilization: Time & Temperature
Isomerisation of hops: Time & Temperature
Protein denaturation & enzyme inactivation: Time & Temperature
Protein coagulation: Turbulence, boil vigour & time
Formation of colour & flavour components: Time & Temperature
Removal of unwanted volatiles: Time, Temperature & Evaporation ( like DMS)
Formation of reducing agents: Time & Temperature
Wort concentration by evaporation: Time, Temperature & Evaporation
Also , if you have a high % of Pils malt , you need to boil for 90 min (inho) to lesser DMS...
I don't think you can not boil...unless you want a shit funky tip it on the lawn beer....
Cheers
Ferg

Gday Ferg,
Does this apply to the wort of a K&K?

Gday Ferg,
Does this apply to the wort of a K&K?
No bloke,
You don't need to boil "cans of goo"...i do know a bloke who used to do a 20 min boil...but its not needed
They are basically wort that has been boiled down to a concentrate....
If your using hops , you can make a "hop tea" with some water and boil for 10 mins and add this to your fermenter ,along with your hot water and can of goo and then fill up to your desired level ( i used to fill only to 21 litres )
Does this help Tim ?
ps
Don't get confused with some procedures we use for AG and K&K procedures...
Cheers
Ferg

so its not worth taking 2L's of wort once ive added the goo and sugars and add hops to it? You reckon just boil water? When i see times for boil eg. 30g Fuggle pellets 10g 15 mins, 20g steep... Is this done in just water? same times still?

so its not worth taking 2L's of wort once ive added the goo and sugars and add hops to it? You reckon just boil water? When i see times for boil eg. 30g Fuggle pellets 10g 15 mins, 20g steep... Is this done in just water? same times still?
Yeah , you could do that....
Or you could add your hops to a "wort" made from malt extract with a ratio of 100g iof dried malty extract to a litre of water...bring to the boil and then add your hops...this way you wont need to cool it down when your done as you be adding cold water to your fermenter

Absolutely it's worth it.

Seems like you might be a bit confused here mate.

When it's been suggested that you don't boil cans of goo, that is correct. But because we boil for different reasons depending on the method and ingredients used to make our beer, this is nothing to do with hops....
As suggested, an all grain brewer for example, boils wort for a whole stack of reasons. A lot of them have absolutely nothing to do with hops or bitterness.

If you're doing Kits, you could do either of the following:

1. Remove a small portion of your wort and boil your hops in this for the times and amounts that your recipe indicates.

2. This is what i do. Keeping in mind that i am an all grain brewer unless i need something really fast.
If you are steeping some grains and adding extra malt (dry or liquid) to a kit, use this to boil your hops in to a lmalt to water ratio of around 100g per litre. This will create a small wort with a "gravity" of around 1.040 which is considered ideal to get the most of out your hops.

Yes you can absolutely use plain old water, but you will get more out of your hops, and a more accurate representation of the recipe if you use a wort with the recommended gravity to boil them in.

When you are looking at a recipe that someone has posted, either in a post, or in the recipe database, take care to note if it's a kit recipe, an extract recipe, or an all grain recipe, as the terminology and what it implies in process can sometimes create a blurry line and confusion.

Hope this makes sense,

Nath

so for reference is this a kit recipe list? http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=47319 ... sorry dont know how to post links ok i was told once i have mixed the goo sugars and what not i should take 2L of the mixture and boil that part to add hops too no?

yep, they are all kit / extract recipes. Some of them have unhopped extracts as the base (liquid malt extract etc..) others have hopped extract (pale ale cans for example).

If you are not addind any extra malt extract (liquid or dry) then yeah, i'd take some of your wort and boil that for your hops.
You can use water, but you'll get a better result using the wort.

With AG you need to do at least a 60min boil to boil off all the bugs and crap in the grain
:icon_offtopic: to further derail this :p following advice on a random forum from Kirsten England, I made a berlinner weisse with 50% pils 50% wheat, just a long step mash and no boil, and there isn't a sign of dms or off flavours :icon_cheers:

Nothing to do with kits though.

Latest posts

Back