Boho Pils And 5.2 Stabiliser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure they are sodium salts - I seem to recall seeing it somewhere in the safety instructions.

5.2 does what screwtop said - buffers the mash - both from being too acid and too basic.

As for residual alkalinity - the only reason to pay any attention to that... is because it affects your pH. If your pH is sorted via a buffer, then your residual alkalinity doesn't mean squat.

pH affects bugger all apart from mash efficiency anyway - unless things are massively out of whack, your beers aren't going to be better, worse or even particularly different if your pH is up or down a bit.

Mineral content on the other hand does affect the flavour... but not because it influences the pH.

I make mineral additions to my mash/boil to ensure enough calcium for yeast health, to ensure an adequate hot break and for flavour. Mash pH is taken care of by the buffer.

I see no reason not to use it - if you notice a negative flavour effect... then discontinue. I haven't noticed it yet so plan to keep on using it.

pH affects bugger all apart from mash efficiency anyway - unless things are massively out of whack, your beers aren't going to be better, worse or even particularly different if your pH is up or down a bit.

In an ideal world, brewers would use one pH for the glucanase rest, then another for protease, then another for amylase, then another for sparging, then another for boiling, then another for fementation, and finally another for clarification. I wonder if 5.2's acid-resisting properties have any impact upon fermentation or protein precipitation? I assume the ferment must overcome the buffering capacity eventually, so it probably doesn't matter too much. In theory, a higher ferment pH would make proteins less soluble and would slightly change their interaction with fining agents (without looking it up, possibly for the better, possibly for the worse).

In an ideal world, brewers would use one pH for the glucanase rest, then another for protease, then another for amylase, then another for sparging, then another for boiling, then another for fementation, and finally another for clarification. I wonder if 5.2's acid-resisting properties have any impact upon fermentation or protein precipitation? I assume the ferment must overcome the buffering capacity eventually, so it probably doesn't matter too much. In theory, a higher ferment pH would make proteins less soluble and would slightly change their interaction with fining agents (without looking it up, possibly for the better, possibly for the worse).

Boil pH ends up at around 5.2 anyway - starts a bit higher because of dilution with higher pH water during the sparge and drops during the boil.

If it's 5.2 through the whole process - maybe slightly better break precipitation, slightly worse hop utilization ... but slightly being the operative word.

I suspect that the phosphates might well precipitate out during the boil, so I doubt there is much carry over into the fermentation vessel, it could be possible I suppose.

Its only a buffer not a miracle though - I think you are right and eventually its going to get overwhelmed by the pH drop in the fermenter.

Thunderchild

I had the same problem and have sent a sample off for testing and should have the results Monday. That being said though I would presume it would be fairly variable dependant on rainfall frequency and probably a billion other things.

Derrick

As promised the report for my tank water. My greatest concern is the high levels of Iron.

Cheers Derrick

View attachment Derrick_Allard_water_test.pdf

I was having a look at the 5.2 tech sheet, fairly amusing on the warning section!!
WARNING: Severe eye irritant. Contains a blend of food-grade buffering phosphates.
DO NOT get in eyes or on skin. Wash after use. Wear suitable skin and eye protection
when using this product. Can be harmful if swallowed. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY.

Should that be in the food?
:huh:

Derrick,

What sort of Roof and Tank do you have?

Rook

Rook

Concrete tile roof that is about to be recoated, new colourbond guttering, PVC downpipes to tank and the tank itself is poly

Cheers Derrick

Rook

Concrete tile roof that is about to be recoated, new colourbond guttering, PVC downpipes to tank and the tank itself is poly

Cheers Derrick

Thanks Derrick, i asked this question as i have Zinculume roof and Poly tanks and was told to work on the theory that i had water with a clean slate

Beers taste okay so i can't be off the mark to much

Sorry for getting OT

Rook

So the iron is presumably coming from the pigment in the tiles? At least the lime in the concrete hasn't impacted the alkalinity. The sodium is also a bit of a mystery. You're not near the beach by any chance are you?

So the iron is presumably coming from the pigment in the tiles? At least the lime in the concrete hasn't impacted the alkalinity. The sodium is also a bit of a mystery. You're not near the beach by any chance are you?

As the crow flies probably about 10km from the southern bay

Latest posts

Back