First Pilsner and I added too many bittering hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobedogg

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Was super pumped to make my first pilsner which I had a crack at last night.

Did a version of mje1980's Motueka Pils Recipe as per Brewmate recipe below. Measured my bittering addition on the fly but my scales were sitting on a little wire that I had up on my bench and I didn't notice. When I went to add my late addition I realised I'd actually added 47g instead of 30g. :unsure:

I no chill, so the 60min addition was actually added at 40min. To compensate, I decided to add less for my flavour addition and wound this back to a cube addition. So I ended up adding 18g to the cube instead of the planned 30g which I was originally going to add at flameout.

How do you reckon this will turn out? By my calcs, I've bittered to 44 IBU with another couple of IBU from the cube additions. Should I do anything further to compensate or just see how she turns out? Planning on pitching yeast tonight....

Motueka Pils
Bohemian Pilsener

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.612
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 4.0 (EBC): 7.9
Bitterness (IBU): 38.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
5.449 kg Pilsner (97.09%)
0.109 kg Melanoidin (1.94%)
0.054 kg Vienna (0.97%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g B Saaz Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
30.0 g B Saaz Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 12°C with Wyeast 2278 - Czech Pils

Notes
----------------
Mash Out Calcs
14.03L strike water a@ 76.2 C should give us 68C mash (1hr)
add 4.6L boiling to bring to mash out temp of 75C

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

A pils is meant to be bitter and 45IBU in a 1.052 pils sounds about perfect to me. I reckon it will be absolutely fine.

Yeah i wouldn't worry about it, beer will happen regardless, chalk it up as an experience and make notes or remember what this brew tastes like - adjust recipe accordingly for the next one!

it'll be fine, I no chill and only adjust my hops for the last 20 minutes, i.e a 20 min addition goes in at 10, I always leave the 60 where it is.

Be interested to see how it turns out. I made a batch using a similar bill albeit with more Moteuka late in the boil.
Tastes like I steeped it on a kilo of floral and citrus potpourri for a month. You can indeed use to much of it apparently.

All in the tastebuds of the beholder. A pilsner with 44 IBUs is fine with me. People who think VB is bitter will pull faces. Hardcore hopheads will complain it lacks bite.

I just finished drinking an American wheat and used up 90g at various stages in a 21L batch, no other hop. I'm mourning it and will repeat in a few months. Loved the f lavour and aroma. The IBUs were less than in your beer, because the early addition was small, but the bitterness did seem to hang on a long time. I've seen other commenters on Motueka say the same. When I repeat I may use a low cohu hop like Horizon for bittering.

My mate once had a fight with a beer nerd about IBUs. If PK didn't punch him, I would have. I fuckin hate opiniated beer nerds.

I made a Saaz (proper Cezch ) ale and it was one of the best I ever made.

90% Pale malt
10% Wheat
Saaz
45 IBU
1060SG

Mash depending if you want body or dryness

36 IBU at 60mins
Then split your remaining IBU's depending on if you want flavour or aroma

I used Czech Saaz with an AA% of 3.5, so I need lots..

The trick is to get clean flavours, use a clean neutral yeast and ferment at about 16-17*c

I'm more concerned about the 0.97% Vienna malt in your grain bill.

Me too, I generally go 0.95% tops. But, you know, it's 2015 so who am I to judge.

F%$^ng Hipsters and the Uber use of Vienna

They think its plentiful and can be used in large quantities at will

In the old days we used to hunt down Austrian tourists and strip them of their grains.

It was brutal. and is something no brewer should ever witness

But that 1% addition, along with Saaz gained from Czech tourists was worth it

Thems was the days

More to the point, he has not stated which yeast he is using, pitch rate and fermentation temperatures.

Ferget the recipe, comes second.

What comes first! pitch rates, oxygen, fermentation temperature control, more control and then more understanding of what you're doing and why.

Get all that right and you're end up with a pretty good lager beer

In the old days, before google, slide rules where the only way of measuring complicated stuff, like yeast pitching

Latest posts

Back