Black Belgian Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
[SIZE=medium]Hi folks,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I’m a fan of the Black IPA, especially the Bombay After Dark recipe from BYO – I did it with Galaxy and HPA-035 hops and it had lovely fruity aromatics without an overbearing resinous thing going on, and restrained roasty hints: https://byo.com/blogs/entry/byo-in-house-beers-of-2013[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Would like to try a Black Belgian Ale. I’ve read all of Jamil’s Belgian recipes in Brewing Classic Styles, and his Dark Belgian is a self-admitted overly complex spec grain bill that still turns out a winner. I’m wondering if I can apply the Bombay and Jamil philosophy successfully in the following recipe, which is a bit of a mashup of his Belgian recipes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Are there suggestions on spec grains to cut out or alter? It’s got twomore spec grains than Jamil’s Dark Strong, even if less percentage per grain – maybe I should cut out the Melanoiden and/or Biscuit.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I have crystalised dark candi - is there a big difference to the syrup version?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Look forward to any comments![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Cheers,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]B[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]---[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]21 Litres - ABV 7.0% - OG 1.066 - FG 1.012 - 65 EBC [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Yeast: I think I’ll split the batch between Belle Saison, Abbaye and T-58 dry yeasts to see which works best.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Hops: still thinking about the hop schedule, but going for about 45 IBU. Probably about 25 IBU bittering charge, and 60g additions at 5m, 0m and dryhop. Sierra Nevada uses Nelson Sauvin and Sorachi in their Black Belgian IPA so might go with that. Or Ella and HPA-035. Or something more traditional - Styrian Goldings?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Malts:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Amount Name %[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2000 Light DME or Pilsener LME equiv 37.9[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1500 Briess 50% Munich Extract 28.4[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]100 Wheat DME 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]500 Candi Sugar Dark 9.5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]250 Dextrose 4.7[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]190 Munich Malt 3.6[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]120 Special B 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]120 Caramunich 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]120 Aromatic 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]120 Chocolate Wheat 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]120 Melanoiden 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]120 Biscuit 2.3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

Hey mate, I'd start with something simple and then build on it from there.

I made a belgian IPA recently that was mostly pilsner malt with some caramunich (60L), aromatic, dextrose and some dark candi sugar (maybe 100g). I used Sticklebract FWH then mosaic, cascade and 007 very late for 50 IBU (15 from bittering) dry hopped with cascade and keg hopped with sticklebract. I used a blend of yeasts but it was probably about 1/3 each of belle saison, abbaye and WLP530. Fermented at 17C to keep it all mellow. Cracking beer.

If I was brewing this, I'd probably loose the wheat DME, munich malt, munich malt extract, and 2 of either the melanoiden, biscuit or aromatic (I like castle aromatic in belgians). Up the pilsner extract to get to your desired starting gravity. I'd rely on the dark candi / choc wheat for the darkness. so maybe ramp them up depending on what you are after. I like carafa 1 (or 3) in black IPAs for darkness and have also used mightnight wheat with good results.

I've never used the syrup but I've heard it's way better than the candi rocks.

On hops, go with what you like just keep the yeast in check by fermenting a little on the cool side.

Keep us posted on the results!

How's the bill!? a little bit of this and a little bit of that...
There's a lot going on there.

Latest posts

Back