Belgian Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries then.
I personally would up the Biscuit a bit (because it's awesome!), but that's probably more for a regular beer.
Given the different "needs"/characteristics of a Belgian, i'd probably end up leaving as is.

As Danscraftbeer, looks good ;)

Les the Weizguy said:
Sorry to say that I have a problem with Ardennes, and think that the phenols are too harsh and unbalanced. Just taste an Achouffe beer and a De Koninck to help you chosse between them. You may prefer the flavour of Corsendonk, which is available as Leuven yeast
Not a problem, it all comes down to personal preference.
I have used the Leuven a couple of times and found it a bit underwhelming - I prefer a more assertive flavour I guess.

@les where could I buy a single beer of each of those from Dan M? The Little Bottler? If I can get a single beer of those two, I'll buy one!

@techno, like Manticle said I'm doing partials for now. I've got two pots I use. Ones that's really good for 3kg of grain, and another to hold up o 2kg of grain.

I'll just need to choice between wlp500 or wlp530.

Cheers

@Chris79, sorry I could not say. Unlikely at my local Dans, but you should check online. Surely there are some companies who look after these styles.
I have not tasted all of the above beers either. Maybe contact your local Belgian Beer café and find where they source their Belgian pale ales. I remember that Canadian brewer, Unibroue (afaik, no longer imported) made some cracking Belgian ales.

I can recommend a local bloke who imports fresh, cool-transported and stored Belgians, if you want to contact me by pm, once I clear a few messages. You should then contact him and see what he has in the style you seek. I have met the importer and he tastes everything as part of the selection process, and loves Belgians.

Thanks Dan, techno and Manticle really looking forward to brewing this beer! Especially now with using Beersmith, and getting better at doing my partials!

@les thanks for all that. I have done a brief search, and I saw Dan's M and Beer Cartel online had some in style.

Hey Shacked, I will check them out too. Happy to buy just a few and go from there :) cheers

Dive in and brew one, then formulate a new recipe after tasting a few good examples. Good advice for any style. Refine, refine, refine.

Les the Weizguy said:
@Chris79, sorry I could not say. Unlikely at my local Dans, but you should check online. Surely there are some companies who look after these styles.
I have not tasted all of the above beers either. Maybe contact your local Belgian Beer café and find where they source their Belgian pale ales. I remember that Canadian brewer, Unibroue (afaik, no longer imported) made some cracking Belgian ales.

I can recommend a local bloke who imports fresh, cool-transported and stored Belgians, if you want to contact me by pm, once I clear a few messages. You should then contact him and see what he has in the style you seek. I have met the importer and he tastes everything as part of the selection process, and loves Belgians.
I believe the Unibroue yeast is 3864 Canadian/Belgian

They make some terrific beers, sadly no longer available here.

Les the Weizguy said:
Dive in and brew one, then formulate a new recipe after tasting a few good examples. Good advice for any style. Refine, refine, refine.
Yes, cheers Les. I will go ahead with my updated recipe. Then, I'll try and get my hands on a few examples, and make some more changes.

Latest posts

Back