Belgian Dubbel partial mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this beer up yesterday. Really happy with how it went. Had a mash temp of 66-68 held well for an hr. Boiled the pilsner and spec malts for 90min. Decided to just use my Saaz hops, as I already had them. Loved how they smelled! Was going to add 2.5kg if DME, as I bought 3x1kg bags I decided to throw it all in. Came in at 1072! Can't wait for this. Adding the dark candi syrup once 2/3 fermentation complete.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471581928.591564.jpg

How did it go?
I'm thinking of brewing something similar.

ok, on the hold. Was only my second partial mash. Feel much more confident now, with hold a consistent mash temp and getting a good boil.

Next time I would up the pilsner, and reduce the DME. Maybe up the Special B and Caramunich to 150g or 200g each. But the Dark candi syrup - tastes real nice! I didn't add a whirlfloc tablet. That is something I now do at the end of the boil, so it was a bit murky. I hope that it would be clearer next time from this, and maybe some fining agent. I needed to up my saaz amount too.

So, there are my improvements for next time. Hope that gets you on a good track.

Latest posts

Back