Biofine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember silica hydrogels are primarily for yeast. If you are having haze issues then attack it in the mash tun by having a coarser crush and step mash (50c). If you are using wheat then there ain't much you can do

I'm now a biofine convert.

1 week after adding.

IMG_20170804_193849~01.jpg

Been using Biofine Clear since March. Not going to be going back to gelatine any time soon, i get better results with this product.

I'm finding the worst part about Biofine is that I keep watching the TV through my glass.

Adds a different perspective I guess

Did some kegging today and added Biofine. I do double brews so 4, 18lt kegs and 2, 9lt kegs. That makes a mess of the 120ml bottle of Biofine.
We need to find somewhere selling in bigger bottles, or find a bulk buy source.

I just threw 20ml into a keg of Irish red with stubborn 1084 and shook it like crazy. Looking forward to seeing how it goes compared to gelatin.
This still took ages to clear. It is clear as now, but to be honest I think gelatine works better, quicker and is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Still have 100ml left so my opinion may change.

Did some kegging today and added Biofine. I do double brews so 4, 18lt kegs and 2, 9lt kegs. That makes a mess of the 120ml bottle of Biofine.

I would've only used about 5-6ml per 19L keg for hoppy beers, how much was recommended?

I would've only used about 5-6ml per 19L keg for hoppy beers, how much was recommended?

How did it go with 5-6 ml?
I see people here using up to 30ml per 19lt keg. I used 20ml in one then 15ml in the other 19lt kegs.
This my first time using Biofine so I can adjust from here.

I found 6ml has always worked well for me, never felt the need to up the dosage.

I don't make many aggressively hopped beers so i'm guessing your milage may vary, but based on the results from 6ml i can't see it take much more than that. It's critical to make sure the beer and liquid is mixed correctly at the lowest possible temp. it works best for me when the beer is 1c or below.

Have a look at Hoppy Days.
Biggest bottle I can find/need ATM.
Happy to be corrected but TTBOMK retailers buy in bulk & split into bottles of their choice.
Ask for a deal on a bottle you supply. You never know your luck.

Cheers, I didn't see Hoppy had it
Have a look at Hoppy Days.
Biggest bottle I can find/need ATM.
Happy to be corrected but TTBOMK retailers buy in bulk & split into bottles of their choice.
Ask for a deal on a bottle you supply. You never know your luck.

Yes found and ordered from Hoppy Days. Although still yet to see the results of my trials? Must crack a keg tomorrow.

An IPA, so naturally heavy handed with the hops, also 60gm cube hops that also where also tipped into the fermenter.
I did a cold crash for 4 days as I do with all my beers, just part of my brew regime.

The photo does not really do it justice, very clear for an IPA. At this early stage using
beer.JPG
Biofine I'm quite impressed.
Should memtion the IPA was 6 days in the keg.

Silicic Acid - Wikipedia

Biological research

Research of the correlation of aluminium and Alzheimer's disease has included the ability of silicic acid in beer reduce aluminium uptake in the digestive system as well as increase renal excretion of aluminium [10][11]

- Ordering some Biofine today. This reads to me like I'm soon to be pumping out aluminium in mass quantities!

Back