Biofine

Discussion in 'Grain, Malt and Adjuncts' started by Bribie G, 13/7/17.

1. Mr B

Posted 2/9/17
    You got me, just ordered some (and some oak chips for a RIS and a couple of other things as well).

Incendentally, these kind of purchases get notified on my wifes mobile. We'll see how it pans out.

2. Stouter

Posted 2/9/17
    Not sure about aluminium in beer, but there must be some taken into the digestive system through other things surely.
    Finally I can detox by drinking beer.

Danscraftbeer likes this.
  3. FarsideOfCrazy

Posted 2/9/17
    It's a bit of myth that aluminium has a link to causing alzimers. The original info was from a study which has no other studies backing it up.

Dr Karl on triplej spoke about it a few years ago. I can't remember the specifics, all I remember is that it is a bit of a myth. Kinda like sitting on a cold surface causes hemaroids.

4. Lyrebird_Cycles

Posted 2/9/17
    Aluminium is very reactive in solution.

Combine this with it being trivalent and you are in for all sorts of haze problems in beer (and wine) as the Al reacts with everything in sight and binds them together.

I believe the threshold for beer is about 1 ppm, above that it causes the problems mentioned.

Last edited: 2/9/17
  5. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 2/9/17
    Initially, the aluminium/Alzheimer's thing started because there were high levels of aluminium in the brains of Alzheimers patients. However, correlation does not indicate causation, and it turned out that it's not the aluminium causing Alzheimer's, but there as a result of the disease.

stewy likes this.
  6. fungrel

IT Wench
    Posted 2/9/17
    Don' mean to derail conversation but thought i should share.

You don't need huge amounts of the stuff. Just has to be as close to 0c as possible when you add it and mix well.

4ml into a double dry hopped American Wheat (50% wheat). Hop flowers are still in the keg.

This is 24hrs after kegging. Has cleared up a little since the photo.

View attachment 108043 View attachment 108043

Attached Files:

Mardoo likes this.
  7. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 3/9/17
    I've just been adding a capful (Craftbrewer bottle) and at the request of another AHB member I accurately measured it, and it turned out spot on 10ml.

Might try 5ml in my 4 Pines Pale Ale tribute that I'm due to keg on Tuesday after doing -1 for a few days.

fletcher likes this.
  8. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 3/9/17
    Off topic but the major component of dust in the air, especially if you live in a clay soil area, is a range of Aluminium Silicates. It's been calculated that on a dusty day your snot traps more aluminium than using cookware for a year. Snort snort sniff gulp. ahhhh.

9. Mardoo

Noob What Craps On A Bit

Posted 3/9/17
    Personally, I'd rather worry about clear beer than Alzheimer's. One I can do something about, one I can't. So I'll buy some Biofine :) Looks like great results across the board.

Denobrew likes this.
  10. stewy

Posted 3/9/17
    OT - how close is your 4 Pines tribute? I can happily smash a few of those & would be keen on having a keg of similar on hand

11. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 3/9/17
    I'll keg on Tuesday, and with the Mighty Biofine and a good gas charge it should be ready for the "what's in the Glass" thread by the end of the week. If it turns out I'll post the recipe as well. I'll be getting a pint of the proper stuff for a side by side.

stewy likes this.
  12. Coldspace

Posted 4/9/17
    Hey Batz
    Looks great, I'm keen to brew a nice light coloured IPA next week. Care to pm roughly receipe mate.?

13. fungrel

IT Wench
    Posted 5/9/17
    4ml added to a very cold beer (-0.1c), image taken 24hrs after packaging.

Attached Files:

14. Meddo

Pro - Data Unlimited

Posted 6/9/17
    So how does this stuff behave? Is it like gelatin where the first glass clears the muck from the bottom then the rest is clear? Got some to dose a fresh keg for a camping trip on the weekend - would be good to know what to expect since it'll be bounced around in the car for a couple of hours, if that first glass is going to be the muck I'll draw it off before travelling.

Thanks,

15. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 6/9/17
    Gelatine forms "fluffy bottoms" that rise up when a keg or a bottle is moved. Biofine not only settles more quickly but is resistant to being shaken up. But because it settles quicker and more compactly you can get rid of the sludge far quicker. Good idea to check that your dip tubes sit down into the little well at the bottom of the cornie for max efficiency.

Last night I biofined a keg of Four Pines tribute. The beer was fairly clear into the keg but only four hours later when I ran some through the tap to make sure connections were ok, I got a glass of pure sludge so a lot of settling had already taken place.

I just drew off (4pm) about 200 ml of sludge, then 200ml of cloudy beer, and this is the next glass at 20 hours, which of course I quaffed .. this will be crystal by tomorrow.

biofine 9.jpg

So in your case if travelling, then you should be able to transport it as bright beer no worries.

ed: if I hadn't been so impatient and just let things rest for a couple more days I bet that the first glass would have been sludge then the second glass would be the quaffer and clearer than the one in the photo.

Hmmm might draw off another one. :doofus:

I'll report on the four pines on Friday, in the what's in the glass thread.

Last edited: 6/9/17
    Meddo likes this.
  16. Meddo

Pro - Data Unlimited

Posted 6/9/17
    Ripper, thanks for that Bribie.

17. ///

Posted 6/9/17
    Fall rate of 5m a day at near zero. We also recirc for 10 mins after dosing to mix in, works better. If you blow it up and disturb the yeast it falls out quickly if cold

18. Bribie G

Adjunct Professor

Posted 6/9/17
    At the home brew scale if you pour the Biofine into a CO2 filled keg then immediately rack the beer in with swirling and splashing, seal and flush headspace, then you can lay keg down and roll for a couple of minutes.
    I usually get completely bright beer in 48 hours.

What I love about this stuff is that it now gives me the ability to recreate many of the bright tank unpasteurised beers of the 60s and 70s that I grew up on in the UK . Currently experimenting with an old Boddingtons recipe.

These beers need to be clear as a bell to be on style.

nic0 likes this.