Biofine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just threw 20ml into a keg of Irish red with stubborn 1084 and shook it like crazy. Looking forward to seeing how it goes compared to gelatin.

What sort of a shelf life does this stuff have?
Nothing on the bottle.

Edit --- I ask because IMHO BrewBrite, Polyclar, etc slowly degrade a few months after the container being opened even if kept refrigerated, so why not Biofine?

Last edited:
And another legend is born. 40 hours in keg.

View attachment 106968

Thanks for the comments, especially ///
I'm about to start fermenting under pressure in a cornie and transferring to a second one. Plan A had been to fine in the primary before transferring, then CC and serve in the second one.

Of course that has now been demoted to plan Z as I'll be reculturing in most cases.

No probs, what that picture shows is low protein levels as well.

It is great stuff but you need to manage it. Whilst we recirc with co2, if there is a heap of yeast it can stir up and fall out again. I would still rack off and brighten in a cube if you want to recycle yeast from the primary.

It's not perfect, on a few iPas and lagers we find it will not drop as well as other batches.

Anyway, if you get it right, perfect compared to a day on the filter.

I've just ordered some and will give it a go. Got to be easier than messing around with Gelatine.

This apparently is the same stuff. Depending on the concentration of colloidal silicon it may or may not be better value than the one I got from a sponsor. Wobbly might use it? I'll PM him to see if he has experience with it.

1. Cliffo
2. Lethaldog
3. abyss
4. fletcher
5. mstrelan

Thanks cliffo you're a legend.

Hi Guys; My first question, whats in it? Colloidal Silicon Dioxide? the ‘interwebs’ says its safe so it must be! I don't like the way the manufacturing process reads and I wonder if it conforms to the Reinheitsgebot / Biergesetz I would doubt it, I’m a filter convert and happy to be anal about sanitation + I wonder how many breweries use this and don't mention it on the label next to pure, organic, hand craft etc in fact I’m surprised no one has used the heart tick yet. Thx for posting Bribie G always great to see new products - my 2c……

can some one add me to the bulk buy?

how much for how much?

It's made in Germany and available as Stabifix, as /// stated.
It's actually an old product but is - like so many others - starting to come into the orbit of home brewing.

It conforms to the Reinheitsgebot.

Now, with regard to the Williamswarn process, I've been thinking - they do two clarifications, presumably the first to rapidly drop the yeast then, after chilling, a second dose to remove any remaining haze.
The double dose enables you to get clear carbonated beer within a week.

However for most of us here, our equivalent of the first clarification is just normal attenuation then cold conditioning. Our equivalent of the WW second clarification would be in the keg, so we'd only need to use that one dose. So a litre bottle of WW product would, at their recommended dosage of 20ml, last for 50 brews. Very attractive prospect.

Registering my interest for the bulk but when it happens.

Thanks for the info Bribie & others.

For those that struggle to Google, here's the Wiki on the active ingredient, silicic acid
Basically, it's naturally occurring (~ a hydrated form of silicon dioxide), in particular in oceanic waters; and it arguably might have health benefits rather than detriments.
Looks safe based on that info.

edit NB: the product we're looking at is actually called "Biofine Clear" (as seen on the CB website in the link in post#1); whereas "Biofine" is a product by the same manufacturer that's basically just isinglass.
MODs, maybe look at changing the title of the thread to "Biofine Clear"

Last edited:
Bribie....is that the image of god I can see shining within that beer?
2775d8828f8c5b5c19b106924c51dbb1.jpg

[QUOTE="Bribie G, Wobbly might use it? I'll PM him to see if he has experience with it.[/QUOTE]

Bribie At the very real risk of having this post moderated and me possibly being warned for posting information about my process in my Williamswarn I haven't used Biofine as such but I do use another silicon dioxide based product that I get from my local HBS (TWOC). I cant remember the name of it as I am currently away from home in Broome until the end of August. I did post details of the product in an earlier topic but I haven't done a search to find it this time.

Your comments about the Williamswarn process are not quite correct according to their manual and instructions. Their recommended process is to chill to 1C for 24 hours and then remove and empty the yeast and other sediment collected in the sediment jar. Add 30 mills silicon dioxide via the injection pot through a fine strainer so as to ensure no crystals that may have formed in the product can enter the system and possibly block equipment and then force it into the chamber with CO2 and use an extra charge/blast of CO2 (about 10 seconds) to ensure the product is well mixed with the beer and leave settle for another 24 hours and if you see fit (want a clearer beer) repeat the process a second time but only using 20 mills.

The manual states that from their experience there is some reaction that occurs between the settled yeast and the clarification agent that reduces the efficeincy and hence their recommendation to chill first, empty out the settled yeast and then proceed and clarify as per their process. The process works with most dry yeasts they use with the exception of T58 and WB-06

Cheers

Wobbly

Thanks, clears that up (no pun). I wonder whether the WW product is the same concentration as the stuff from TWOC or CraftBrewer etc.

Why would you be moderated?

As far as I know, you've never had posts removed for simply detailing the processes of your system in response to a related query. Won't be for this one either.

Cheers for the in depth response

If you are considering using this product be aware that "Biofine" and "Biofine Clear" are 2 different products as per the description

Biofine™ is a purified form of collagen isolated from the swim bladders of tropical fish. The isinglass molecule is a triple helix of amino acids, with an overall net positive charge at beer pH. It forms large aggregates with the negatively charged yeast cells thereby increasing their rate of sedimentation.

Biofine™ Clear has been specially formulated for the rapid sedimentation of yeast and other haze forming particles in beer. It is based on colloidal silicon dioxide and as such complies with all legislation and allergen labelling issues.

Bribie the product that I get from TWOC and use is called "Stabiclar30"

Cheers

Wobbly

Latest posts

Back