Biab Volumes For A 15 Lt Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shjbrown

Reaction score
I am new to AG and BIAB, and currently doing extract partial boils in a 15 lt cheapie pot, while I save up for a 40 lt urn for BIAB. Id like to do a few small scale BIAB practice runs while I wait for the urn.

Can someone recommend volumes/grain weights to use for BIAB in a 15 lt pot? I am going to use my 12 lt BB for fermentation, so shooting for about 10 lt into primary. Id like to do American pale ale style beers, with SNPA and LCPA as commercial examples.

Also, I've got some muslin that I bought for grain soaking (silly spotlight women couldn't find the swiss voile), can I use this?

Thanks for any advice!

Muslin doesn't drain very well... you really need nylon/polyester voile... Spotlight have it but they often aren't aware. It's like sheer curtain material with small but visible holes. Keep looking!

Probably worth reading the NickD 19L pot thread in regards to grain/volume/etc. Scale it down to suit your pot size.

You'll probably lose 1L when you bottle - that's a lot of effort for 9L of beer!

Might be cheaper to get a 40L pot, install an element and tap ... prob half cost of an urn.

Where are you located?

I am new to AG and BIAB, and currently doing extract partial boils in a 15 lt cheapie pot, while I save up for a 40 lt urn for BIAB. I’d like to do a few small scale BIAB practice runs while I wait for the urn.

Can someone recommend volumes/grain weights to use for BIAB in a 15 lt pot? I am going to use my 12 lt BB for fermentation, so shooting for about 10 lt into primary. I’d like to do American pale ale style beers, with SNPA and LCPA as commercial examples.

Also, I've got some muslin that I bought for grain soaking (silly spotlight women couldn't find the swiss voile), can I use this?

Thanks for any advice!

Use about 2-2.5KG of grain.

Fill your pot with about 13.5L of water, bring that up to 66C or so, then scoop out a L of water or so. Add you grain, then add back the water till you're pretty much full to brim as you mix in your grain.

Reheat to 66C (or whatever your mash temp) while stirring well

Mash for 90 mins.

Pull the bag, squeeze the absolute bajeezus out of it. Then topup your kettle as high as you're prepared to go while boiling.

Boil for 90 mins or so, then chill and decant as much liquid as you can off your trub.

Check your gravity, and if necessary dilute to your recipe gravity ;)

That *should* get you about 10L at 1.048-1.052

View attachment CE_BIABcalc_2012_02_21.xlsm.zip

Thanks Guys!

Will give it a try as soon as I can pick up some voile. The 12L fermentor has cider in it right now anyway. :)

I agree it is a lot of effort, will probably only do it a few times before upgrading...

Seemax- added my location (wollongong)

Latest posts

Back