Biab Sour Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt white

Reaction score
Made a nice English Pale Ale 3 weeks ago using the trusty BIAB method. Have done 150+ successful BIABs so far....no problems

This one was successful beerwise.

Grainwise however, I placed my spent grain and bag in a stainless pot and accidentally put a lid on it after finishing the mash.

Three weeks later I went to see what was in that pot and whoa baby, a black, mouldy, oozing, bubbling stench-filled mess.

Had to throw the trusty BIAB bag and grain as far from the house as possible. It was toxic.

After thinking a bit about it though, it made me realise that the true pioneers of brewing many years ago would have looked in the said stenchy pot, wondered how it would taste, had a crack, got a hit, spewed, and then tried to refine it a bit to produce Roddenbach ....gutsy!

As someone about to begin BIAB and all grain brewing in general... I'll remember not to do this.

3 weeks... Oh man, you should have taken a pic!
My worst was about 4 days last Summer. I usually clean out my mash tun the following day, yet I kept forgetting. The result after 4 days was :icon_vomit:

SWMBO would stab me to death with chopsticks if I left stuff in the kitchen after a brew. Mostly I bag up the grain and deliver it to a mate's chooks. Once when they weren't there, I left it on the garage floor, where it stayed for 3 weeks.

I swear that thing had started to bust out of the bag and make a break for the door.

I actually brewed a beer with "sour mash" left overs of a beer. It was a 3kg grist of a partial stout that i'd left in a bucket outside for a week, and I mashed that with 2kg of Pilsner and made a "sour-mash" beer.
BIG notes of butyric acid for sure, but being a mid-strength beer it was actually somewhat palatable with a hint of acid and raspberry ester...having said that more than schooner is tough!

I have only done 2 AGs so far.
1st one was on Bin Collection Day, after bin was collected. Had to wait a week with grain in the bin.

Never, ever again.

Cheers,
D80

I once left my spent grain in a bag for 4 days before feeding it to the chooks. Next day one of my chooks exploded!

Latest posts

Back