BIAB newbie recipe advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronix81

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have recently got into AG using a home made biab setup and have made a few pilsners and pale ales with success but also a few ales that have stalled around 1024 which ive put down to mash temps and possibly ferment temp. Ive taken those as learning curves and continued on but now im looking for some ideas with the grains i have on hand. I'm unable to buy grain local so i have been ordering milled grains in 5kg base malts and 1kg specialty's. I ordered a mill last week so will be buying sacks from now on though. The grains and hops on hand are

Gladfield american ale 5kg
JW pale 5kg
gladiator 1 kg
toffee 1kg
wheat .5kg

I have citra , centennial, cascade , galaxy , amarillo, fuggles, summer and waimea hops in the freezer that i bulk bought awhile ago also.

I havnt brewed with the toffee or gladiator and got it on recommendation from the hbs. I played around with beersmith and the brewers friend recipe data base but was hoping someone has a proven recipe i could use while im getting my head around it all. Happy to order other grains to go with what i have if need be. Cheers

44% pale
44% vienna
8% wheat
4% toffee

5% abv

Waimea @ 60 minutes to 12 ibu
Citra and cascade @ 5 minutes to 12 ibu.
Dry hop 20g citra, 20g cascade.

Edit- MJ-42 yeast or Nottingham for something a bit cleaner .

44% pale
44% vienna
8% wheat
4% toffee

5% abv

Waimea @ 60 minutes to 12 ibu
Citra and cascade @ 5 minutes to 12 ibu.
Dry hop 20g citra, 20g cascade.

Edit- MJ-42 yeast or Nottingham for something a bit cleaner .

So order some Vienna malt?

i'd go:

70% pale
27% wheat
3% toffee
to about 1.047-1.050 OG
mash at 65c
10 ibu of centennial at 60
15 ibu of citra or citra/galaxy (or any other combination - cascade/citra, centennial/citra etc) at flame out/whirlpool (for about 15 mins)

us05 yeast at 17-18c

dry hop with about 5-6gm/L of citra or whatever you paired it with, or both. basically, just a huge American hop dry hop.

edit: you could easily get away with 2-3gm/L dry hop too.

Last edited:
i'd go:

70% pale
27% wheat
3% toffee
to about 1.047-1.050 OG
mash at 65c
15 ibu of citra or citra/galaxy (or any other combination - cascade/citra, centennial/citra etc) at flame out/whirlpool (for about 15 mins)

us05 yeast at 17-18c

dry hop with about 5-6gm/L of citra or whatever you paired it with, or both. basically, just a huge American hop dry hop.

Hey fletch nice recipe .Now I have to brew it . I would up the ibu a bit more to balance the abv . I would be looking for around 40 ibu with 25 ibu @ 60 min ,15 ibu @ 10 min, then dry hop yum .

Hey fletch nice recipe .Now I have to brew it . I would up the ibu a bit more to balance the abv . I would be looking for around 40 ibu with 25 ibu @ 60 min ,15 ibu @ 10 min, then dry hop yum .

cheers mate.

with those sorts of lighter, hoppy, 'pacific ale'-esque beers, i tend to keep them at about 4.7% - 5% so they're quite sessionable. for that reason i keep the ibu lower, to balance the abv as is, but then really overdo the dry hop. this beer would likely qualify as an XPA or 'session ipa' even though some people hate the terms.

often with such a huge dry hop, i notice a nice grassy bitterness as well as the big hop punch, which adds to my bitterness perception but doesn't add ibus or astringency from overdoing boil additions. just my personal preferences.

cheers mate.

with those sorts of lighter, hoppy, 'pacific ale'-esque beers, i tend to keep them at about 4.7% - 5% so they're quite sessionable. for that reason i keep the ibu lower, to balance the abv as is, but then really overdo the dry hop. this beer would likely qualify as an XPA or 'session ipa' even though some people hate the terms.

often with such a huge dry hop, i notice a nice grassy bitterness as well as the big hop punch, which adds to my bitterness perception but doesn't add ibus or astringency from overdoing boil additions. just my personal preferences.
Yeah I see were you are coming from . My beers tend to be a little higher in abv and that is were the extra ibu comes into play .For some reason I can't get my beers below 5% :doofus:

i'd go:

70% pale
27% wheat
3% toffee
to about 1.047-1.050 OG
mash at 65c

us05 yeast at 17-18c

I'll try this on Tuesday. Any recommendations for the ale malt?

I'll try this on Tuesday. Any recommendations for the ale malt?

either of the two you have will be great. literally toss a coin. i'm a big fan of JW so if you needed one, i'd pick that haha.

Yeah I see were you are coming from . My beers tend to be a little higher in abv and that is were the extra ibu comes into play .For some reason I can't get my beers below 5%

Add more water to reduce the OG before you add the yeast ;)

haha just reduce the fermentables. if you bottle, aim for about 4.3 to 4.5% abv, so your carbonation doesn't lift it too high about 5% abv.

I was going to say be careful with gladfields it tends to be a little sticky but you won't have any problems with BIABing. JW is my go to malt but I do like gladfields . My doctor told me to drink less that's why my beers have a higher ABV .

:bigcheers:

either of the two you have will be great. literally toss a coin. i'm a big fan of JW so if you needed one, i'd pick that haha.

I might try brew and cube twice tomorrow and then see which I prefer before ordering a bag

Latest posts

Back