Biab Question ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always adjust your pre-boil with a touch of DME, which is what I am intending to do with the remainder of my stock (10kg or so).

The more that I think about complicating the BIAB, the more I realise it is defeating the purpose entirely.
ED: I think I have Thirsty to thank for that too.

I think I am going to experiment with crushing very fine with my corona mill and make sure my pH is bang on target to avoid tanins. Hopefully this will result in OK efficiency.

You should be able to get 75% eff (pre-boil) pretty constantly with a normal, no sparge BIAB. Less for big beers, a little more for low OG ones.

But if reviled is making it work without too much extra effort.. then it obviously works. So if you think the effort is worth it, why not

I have reservations about pouring boiling water onto a drained grainbag and then draining it out completely afterwards - but I am not going to argue with results. If it works it works.

Is there any simple calculation to compensate for grain absorption ?... Because obviously different sized grain bills will absorb more\less water.

in a BIAB brew the grain will absorb 0.5-0.75L for every kg. If you just let the bag drain, closer to the 0.75, if you squeeze it, closer to the 0.5

Latest posts

Back