BIAB Propane or heater element for mash temps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradwhite087

Reaction score
G'day fellow brewers,

I have recently had fluctuations in my mash temps for my BIAB system. I want to try and get the temp within 1-2 degrees during the mash stage.

A little about my system: (see pic below)

IMAG0163.jpg

1. I have been recirculating the wort from the bottom back through the top using a pump, in an attempt to get even heat distribution should I need to turn on the burner.
2. I use a propane gas burner as a heat source to bring the water up to temp and for a rolling boil.

I have been brainstorming during brew sessions with mates, none of whom have there own rigs, so sometimes the technical answers are left unanswered, this is why I thought I would make a post.

There are 3 options to which I can achieve the desired outcome IMO. I want to do it right the first time and make the mods future proof. The mods I had in mind are:

A. Adding a RIMS system,
B. Solenoid controlled gas valve,
C. Electric heating element.

I have a spare STC1000 (only 1 device can be controlled) which I can utilise for the RIMS or electric element if I decide to go down this path.

I have never seen a system that uses propane and electric elements in conjunction with one another. What are your thoughts on this?

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

This might be a stupid question but do you insulate your pot during the mash? I wrap mine up with yoga/camping mats and lose less than 2 degrees over a 90 minute mash.

If not its a much simpler fix than any of the other options.

I did try it with a old blanket. It did manage to hold temps a lot better than using nothing. I do find it hard to put the blanket on with everything so hot and I am a little hesitant to put the blanket on while the burner is going for obvious safety reasons.

Insulation is definitely a challenge if you are step mashing. I've only done single step infusions with a mash out. You could try an old sleeping bag from vinnies. Easy off for ramping between steps and easy on for rests. There may also be ways of insulating that are fireproof but not sure what they are off the too of my head!

I'm currently looking at going elec heating for my biab setup. More accurate/auto temp control is what does it for me!

I could see a propane/elec system working. Propane for fast heatup and electrical control for maintaining and step changes in temp

Ever since I started BIAB I have insulated the mash tun (urn) with a kid's sleeping bag and then a doonah wrapped round that. Later I replaced the doonah with a sheet of metallised rubber fixed with bungee cords. No need to heat during a mash, I lose around 1.5 degrees.

For step mashes, I unwrap, heat then wrap again. Sounds awkward but actually takes less than a minute to wrap an urn with the right gear. If you really hate the idea, just a sleeping bag slipped over the top can be easily removed for a quick boost a third of the way through the mash then slip it on again.

That way you just need a primary source of heat, propane burner etc. As for "repeatability" I get perfect repeatability, I know that it's going to drop 1.5 degrees every time :)
When really picky I can take the temperature of the grain before doughing in and hit strike temp precisely by tapping the figures into BrewMate then wrap immediately.

Thanks for the info guys, I may just give the sleeping bag a go.

Where can you purchase a sheet of metallised rubber from?

Clark Rubber, comes in a few different thicknesses.

brewday the cylinder of ctyle.jpg

Back