Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name................. Brews........... are you still BIABing?........Volume
Pistol Patch............. 28................ Yes........................... 644lt Changed to BIAB
FNQ Bunyip............. 33................ Yes........................... 795lt
SpillsMostOfIt........... 13 .................Yes!..........................298lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................10..................Yes.............. ............209lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......15..................Yes......................... 330lt No Chill
Thirstyboy................5.................. Yes.....................app 50lt
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................3...................Yes............................65l
Partial
Beer Man.................5...................Yes..........................100lt
davekate.................5...................Yes.......................app 100lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................6...................No............................180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l
No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy......................4...................yes...........................90l
tres
Murcluf....................1..................Will be........................11lt
Patobeermonster......2..................yes.............................23lt
Harry_Rmbler..........2..................yes..............................46lt
MVZOOM.................2.....................yep..........................46lt / Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules

Great to see all the new names on the list :beer:

May your bags hang well :lol:

Pistol Patch............. 28................ Yes........................... 644lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 13 .................Yes!..........................298lt No Chill/Electric
Hashie......................12..................Yes.............. ............255lt No chill
MaxT........................5..................No.............. .............115lt
PJ............................1..................Will be........................23lt No Chill.
jimmysuperlative......15..................Yes......................... 330lt No Chill
Wardhog..................1...................?...............................23lt
Phonos....................3...................Yes............................65l
Partial
davekate.................5...................Yes.......................app 100lt No Chill all the way!
Adam......................2...................No.............................46l

Blackbock................6...................No............................180lt No Chill
Zizzle......................7...................No..........................161l
No Chill/Electric
Phrak......................6....................Yes.........................175l
No Chill for all
Deaves.................. 6...................No.............................app 140lt ..All Chilled
Kingy......................4...................yes...........................90l
tres
Murcluf....................1..................Will be........................11lt
MVZOOM.................2.....................yep..........................46lt / Electric / Bag / No chill. Breakin' all the rules

# 12 mashing as I type, Batz' altbier second time.

Hashie......................12..................Yes.............. ............255lt No chill
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
tres
Eric8......................1...................YES............................20
t N.C. for me

Thought i wouldn't make it, but finally did. Thank you rain!!!!

Congrats!! howd it go eric ? no problems i hope. Its not that hard really, only a bit fearful for the first time of stuffing it up but after that its easy to nail it on the head and clean up as you go.

What did u brew for yout first AG?

cheers kingy

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................5...................yes...........................113
itres no chilled the last 2 brews
Eric8......................1...................YES............................20
t N.C. for me

geez this list is huge now

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................5...................yes...........................113
Harry_Rmbler..........4..................yes..............................186lt
t N.C. for me

My first full solo brew yesterday - 66lt using 2 BIAB setups (Cheers Pat). Can't wait to try it! Also did a brew at the start of the week but that was supervised by Pat (also a double setup). 140lt in one week - Couldn't be happier!
Thanks a million for the Tap Doogie, it is awesome, Pat is spewing he doesn't have one!

Harry

Congrats!! howd it go eric ? no problems i hope. Its not that hard really, only a bit fearful for the first time of stuffing it up but after that its easy to nail it on the head and clean up as you go.

What did u brew for yout first AG?

I did a porter Kingy.
I am going to post some pics and what happened <_< .
Eric

In my experience....

First time around, you're as nervous as you can be and follow all instructions to the letter. You end up with pretty good outcome.

Second time around, you're much more confident (for no reason at all) and make a change or two. You end up with a pretty good outcome, but not as good as your first.

After that, you learn some more and continue to realise that the learning just keeps on coming and the outcome is always good...

Keep it up guys.

Updated -

Bloody hell 220Lt, where did it all go?!

Partial
DK..........................10..................Yes.......................app 220lt No Chill all the way!

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me

:super:

Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes........................... 714lt Changed to BIAB
Partial
DK..........................10..................Yes.......................app 220lt No Chill all the way!

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me

Great to see Eric on the list at last - three cheers!

And congrats to Harry as well on his first unsupervised AG/Brew! Harry is a bit of an experiment for me/us. Can a young bloke brew good beer from grain without going through the trials of kits? Well, he's going pretty well so far!

Spot ya,
Pat

P.S. Harry, I added the two brews totalling 70lts we had forgotten under my name. Donya.

Thanks a million for the Tap Doogie, it is awesome, Pat is spewing he doesn't have one!

hmm is it any coincidence that "tap" is actually "pat" spelt backwards?

probably not but get a hole drilled in that robinox pat and get yourself a bloody tap! at least we won't have to see harry pump 3 litres of trub into a fermenter again :D

my sides are still aching at the thought of that!!

and how's that APA pulled up? mine's gone already..... :chug:

hmm is it any coincidence that "tap" is actually "pat" spelt backwards?

probably not but get a hole drilled in that robinox pat and get yourself a bloody tap! at least we won't have to see harry pump 3 litres of trub into a fermenter again :D

my sides are still aching at the thought of that!!

and how's that APA pulled up? mine's gone already..... :chug:

Since putting a tap in my boilers, my wife has been much more inclined to initiate sex and several women (years younger than I) have offered to do things to me, the likes of which I have not received offers of before.

I don't understand why PistolPatch is vacillating. :p

Pistol Patch............. 30................ Yes........................... 714lt Changed to BIAB
SpillsMostOfIt........... 14 .................Yes!..........................305lt No Chill/Electric
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
t N.C. for me

#14 is a tiny, tiny batch done on the stovetop with one of my 'standard' grain bills and just Simcoe as a test.

SpillsMostOfIt........... 14 .................Yes!..........................305lt No Chill/Electric
Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Patobeermonster......4..................yes.............................58lt
t N.C. for me

I've gone full scale (23litres), bought a 54 litre pot and this Missus made me a bigger bag (it's great being married to an upholsterer with a industrial sewing machine), started tasting my first AG brews, fantastic, wish I had done it sooner, you can't beat the freshness, brew #3 was a half batch of the Schwarzbier,
I can't wait, if it's tastes anything like the dark Krosovice I drank in the Czech Republic I'll be happy.
AG offers so many possibilties for experimentation I love it.

Partial

No Chill/Electric
No Chill for all
Kingy......................6...................yes...........................135
itres No Chilled the last 3 with good results
Patobeermonster......4..................yes.............................58lt
t N.C. for me

and loving it

Spills: No mate, I'm back to my original auto-syphon and she's working a treat. The reason that I haven't whacked a tap in is because I'm doubtful it is less work than an auto-syphon. You still have to clean the kettle taps and that means pulling them apart from time to time which from what I can see isn't necesarily a quick process. So you haven't turned me yet!

Pato: Good to see you have increased your brewery size. This makes things even easier. Ross's Schwartz recipe is bloody good, especially at this time of year. You can almost eat that beer so I think you have a lot to look forward to. Yum! It would be great to see a pic of your bag too - I don't think any of us can claim to have one made by an upholsterer! If you can do a pic, I'd certainly appreciate it as I have to get two new bags done in the next week or so.

Kingy: Good to see you got the no chill sorted. What are you actually doing? Are you no chilling in the kettle overnight and then transferring or something different? Need some more pics from you too - all your wife's sisters please :blink:

Spot,
Pat

Kingy: Good to see you got the no chill sorted. What are you actually doing? Are you no chilling in the kettle overnight and then transferring or something different? Need some more pics from you too - all your wife's sisters please :blink:

Nah mate im just whirlpooling about 2 mins after flame out and then leaving it between 5-10mins then siphoning into a 20 litre plastic jerry (which holds about 24 litres) and sucking up a small amount of trub to just squeeze that bit of extra wort in. (the trub chases the siphon tube towards the end of siphoning)

I usually only have between 1000-1500mls of crud wastage in the kettle but the next brew will be more than that as ive had enough with using the hopsock i brought.
I dont see a problem with not using the hop sock in the kettle just means ill have more crud to suck up the tube to the cube to get the most wort out. but seeing as tho i rack and pitch within a few days from the cube to the fermenter most of the hop/trub will stay in the cube without altering the desired taste.

Longest ive left before transfering to fermenter is 72 hours. But i dumped that on a yeast cake so there werent much lag time.

cheers and many beers :chug:

p.s no photos for ya pat :lol:

DSC02945.JPG
This is a photo of The 17 Litre pot with bag and 54 Litre pot with bag.
Both shaped like sleeping bags with drawstring at the top.
Both made from Voile from scraps at spotlight, cost $3 .

Very dissapointed in the lack of photos Kingy but at least Pato came up with the goods ;)

Pato, I never thought of that design. I think Im right in saying your bag is just two peices of material stitched together as In Design A below?

'

If that works, then that is heaps easier to sew up. I think a few of the guys (and I was going to do the same) used the peices in design C and apparently that's pretty hard to make. My one at the moment is two pieces of Design B sewn together - the real basic model.

I imagine yours would work pretty well Pato so I might have a crack at that. Thanks for pics mate.

Cheers
Pat

Latest posts

Back