Biab Brewer Register

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, all you guys brewing those volumes makes me smile.

I was doing a weekend of Hefeweizen brewing (ein weies Bier mit Hefe aus Deutschland dank Schfferhofer), no issues with BIAB and I've even done one with flours directly in the bag, no stuck issues and the barley enzymes just tore it up!

BIAB - Loving it!

A built another "high tech brewing tool" to help prevent burnt hands chasing a thermometer absent mindedly and this time I set the phone up to be my count down timer which rocks. A simple calculator calculation tells me how long it takes to raise temperatures and setting the timer means I got time to do other things until the alarm goes off. Back to the pot and I'm within a minute of reaching my target temperature.

This photo is of the suspended thermometer at Step#2 in a the "WeiBbier mit hefe" 3 step mash schedule.
WheatMashTemp.jpg

And here is the "high tech" counterbalance that keeps it suspended. Love reusing and multi-purposing my beer gear!
WheatMashTempBalanceTool.jpg

I'm feeling a freedom with the BIAB method with my brewing because I'm so stuck up and high tech and scientific with my Mead brewing its good to get great results from a less involved approach.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Was going through my old notes this morning and realised that this week is my 1 year anniversary of starting AG/BIAB :beerbang:

three doubles in a week for Lates Brewery!

Two hour mash on Saturday a rice lager. Hope it is good!

Did an American Amber on Sunday after a BIG night on Sat, went very smoothly as well.
Reviled well done on the 1st Anniversary, you should have done a special brew.

Three brews this weekend, has pushed us over the 1000 litre mark!

First BIAB is in the fermenter :party:

Grain is in for the next brew and will be hard at it this weekend. (Hopefully)

add me to the register. dryhopped last night after pitching on monday :icon_chickcheers:

I've done about 10 batches this year using BIAB.

I try to sell anyone I talk to about brewing on it. Most give me reason why it doesn't work. They obviously haven't tried it.

I did a BIAB-ish Hefe last Friday, was going great when I got home from sydney last night. Did it on the stove with 2x14 litres pots, but used an esky to help me wih the mashing. Was great to see it all work, and only fell short of my target by a couple of points. Just didn't top it up with as much water to balance it out. Will recommend to anyone thinking of doing AG but not wanting to go all out on the gear.

I've done about 10 batches this year using BIAB.

I try to sell anyone I talk to about brewing on it. Most give me reason why it doesn't work. They obviously haven't tried it.

Hand em a beer - that usually does the trick.

Welcome to AHB Joe. Glad BIAB is working for you.

Thirsty

I'm another who has recently joined the BIAB ranks. 3 brews to date, so another 60 litres or so. All BIAB in an urn, all NC.

Unfortunately my first ever infection was my first ever AG so I'm still to taste a non infected AG. One in the cube and another fermenting ATM. I can't wait.

I'm another who has recently joined the BIAB ranks. 3 brews to date, so another 60 litres or so. All BIAB in an urn, all NC.

Unfortunately my first ever infection was my first ever AG so I'm still to taste a non infected AG. One in the cube and another fermenting ATM. I can't wait.
I bet the regular hydrometer samples are mighty good then?? Leave some for bottling/kegging, hey? :D

My first 1469PC batch was infected, probably due to the dreaded tap fiasco, man was I shattered...

Good on you though Sam and congratulations- its really not that hard, hey?!

Done my first BIAB last weekend, and my first proper no-chill. It was a 40L batch of a SNPA clone. Was a really simple process but the proof will be in the pudding i guess. Cant wait to do my next one, bring on the holidays :D
Actually didnt all go according to plan, my OG was 1034, alot lower than expected but for our first crack i will live with it. Will have to look up how to calculate my efficiency to get more of an idea (any links?)

I haven't updated the BIAB database recently as I'm really of the opinion that BIAB has now gone mainstream. It's no longer a 'fighting brand' searching for recognition, and running a separate BIAB register is really no different to starting a "Three Vessel Brewers" register, as opposed to a "HERMS Brewers" register or an "Extract only Brewers" register.

To me, its just brewing - gets the job done and there's really no longer any reason to trumpet or promote it and run a page which basically says "lookit what I've done, ain't it great" - new AG brewers seem to be picking it up as a mature craft - which it is.

Opinions?

I believe you are right BribieG..........

Although I no longer BIAB (recently switched to 3V, with intent to upgrade to HERMs in the new year), I don't see many major drawbacks with BIAB vs 3V, my main reason for switching was I was sick of hoisting the bag, dumping it in a bucket, sparging it, dumping that back into the boiler.....

I personally prefer being able to do the same tasks simply by opening and closing a few taps, but that was a choice that I primarily made due to my dislike of bag hoisting, not due to the quality of the beer being produced......Actually, using the same malt and the same mill I have lost eff% since going 3V, really must get around to looking into that.

I haven't updated the BIAB database recently as I'm really of the opinion that BIAB has now gone mainstream. It's no longer a 'fighting brand' searching for recognition, and running a separate BIAB register is really no different to starting a "Three Vessel Brewers" register, as opposed to a "HERMS Brewers" register or an "Extract only Brewers" register.

To me, its just brewing - gets the job done and there's really no longer any reason to trumpet or promote it and run a page which basically says "lookit what I've done, ain't it great" - new AG brewers seem to be picking it up as a mature craft - which it is.

Opinions?

Couldnt agree more Bribie, I've tasted both yours and QldKevs AG brews and there is no way I could distinguish between the vessel and bag brews. It all comes down to recipe and procedure not whether it is done in a bag, a 2 or 3 vessel or herms/rims.

Having said that I do love my new Rambo, just like you hug your urn at the start of the day. :D

Cheers Brad

Opinions?

Thank God you said it Bribie. Amen there! I wanted to say the exact same thing months ago but thought better of it as the flameb suit was getting dry cleaned.

BTW I think it's time Sully the closet BIABer came out, No? Oh and add me to that list!

Chap Chap

Opinions?
I second that mate, it is mature and mainstream without a doubt, at least as far as electronic reference material goes. I don't read many brewing books in print format, but most of those I have (from the local Library, a few bought/gifted) aren't BIAB- aware, but then again, they're not particularly modern anyway- this may however just be a symptom of my fairly backward local library. But have a look at electronic resources and you'll find the method abounds.

There's still various quirks and scenarios being played out (eg. recent <$30 AG starter thread) but I'm fairly sure most of the boundaries are tested and everyone's got a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't, much the same as other methods. So for mine, yep, just another method.

As other brewers and competitions relate, the end results are on par with other more traditional methods too, so as far as the finished product goes, again, no real differences and I'd guess most brewers and judges would be struggling to distinguish between them. I could be going out on a limb here, but for mine, again, no contest.

My earliest reference to the method is late-70s in "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy" by G.W. Kent (1978), glad to hear of any that predates it.

Now, not presuming that that a Wiki is a defining characteristic, but what bothers me is that there is no actual Wikipedia page! But neither is there an entry for any other particular method, so I guess that's a good thing. (Oh, and that was a hint, if anyone finds themselves enthusiastic some day... ;) )

Yes you are right there Rde.... I didn't mean to say that BIAB resources shouldn't be available here or online, just that the days of preaching it are over, but of course anyone coming into AG and sussing out the different methods should have resources available such as Pistol Patch's work, Thirsty Boy & spillsmostofit, etc - not to mention the wee brew with urn ariticle I put up. A Wiki page would be the go for sure.

Latest posts

Back