Biab Beer Designer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ian....much appreciated. I've just cut and paste across recipes from my v1.2. seems to work fine. Something that other users should note is that you have tweaked the settings in the BIAB set-up sheet. If users are using these as a default or have tweaked for their own circumstances then they will need to copy their old settings from v1.2. In a future version maybe you could add a return to default settings button. :D I wonder if any other users would like to share recipes that they have entered. In particular I am thinking of some of the well-known and loved recipes from the AHB database?

Again, thanks for your work.

Cheers,
Oakers.

Hi Oakers

Thanks. Yes I changed the strike factor from 0.30 to 0.32 and the absorption factor from 0.50 to 0.48 to adjust things for my own set up. People will need to determine the factors on the BIAB worksheet for their own set ups. All the blue cells are for inputs.

Best way is to average the results across a number of brews (minimum 5) to determine the factors.

cheers

Ian

A work of art Ianh and congratulations on your effort.

I have just one problem here, you say adjustments can be made with anything on the blue lines, well it happens that I cant make any adjustments to the fermenter volume, grain weight, or for that matter anything on the blue lines. I have tried with Open Office and trial MS Excell for no result, any help or ideas?

After a few requests I've pinned this topic at the top of the all grain and Partials forum, as always thanks Ian for all your work.

Cheers
Andrew

A work of art Ianh and congratulations on your effort.

I have just one problem here, you say adjustments can be made with anything on the blue lines, well it happens that I cant make any adjustments to the fermenter volume, grain weight, or for that matter anything on the blue lines. I have tried with Open Office and trial MS Excell for no result, any help or ideas?

You need to enable the macros for it to run. Might be a yellow line with 'Enable Macros'. If not you can go into the trust centre and enable permanently.

OK Crusty has found an error, when saving a new recipe with No Chill it does not include the No Chill (I only use chill so didn't find it).

Two ways to fix, easy way is to go to the recipes and put an N in the cell above the yeast. Need to do that for each new No Chill Recipe, existing recipes are OK.

Permanent fix requires changing the saverecipe macro, to bring up macros hold down the ALT key and hit F11, then Tools Macros and select saverecipe macro

Near the end of the saverecipe macro should find these lines

'transfer recipe data
z = 22
Do
If z > 11 Then
ActiveCell.Offset(z, 0) = sname(z): ActiveCell.Offset(z, 1) = swt(z): ActiveCell.Offset(z, 2) = stime(z)
ElseIf z > 2 And z < 11 Then

the If z > 11 Then needs to be changed to If z > 9 Then

I think that should fix the problem

OK Crusty has found an error, when saving a new recipe with No Chill it does not include the No Chill (I only use chill so didn't find it).

Two ways to fix, easy way is to go to the recipes and put an N in the cell above the yeast. Need to do that for each new No Chill Recipe, existing recipes are OK.

Permanent fix requires changing the saverecipe macro, to bring up macros hold down the ALT key and hit F11, then Tools Macros and select saverecipe macro

Near the end of the saverecipe macro should find these lines

'transfer recipe data
z = 22
Do
If z > 11 Then
ActiveCell.Offset(z, 0) = sname(z): ActiveCell.Offset(z, 1) = swt(z): ActiveCell.Offset(z, 2) = stime(z)
ElseIf z > 2 And z < 11 Then

the If z > 11 Then needs to be changed to If z > 9 Then

I think that should fix the problem

Followed the permanent fix guideline.
I changed the if z > 11 then to if z > 9 then
Problem solved & recipes are now saving in the option you choose, chill or no chill.
Great work Ian.

Hi All

Been saying I'll upload the latest version for awhile, so here it is

View attachment 59643

Changes since V1.2

Fixed a calculation error on the BIAB worksheet.

Fixed the macro error for subtracting hops from the inventory.

Added FWH to hop boil times, can be used with chill or no chill.

Cheers
Ian

Hehe, the 2012 release :)

Happy New Year :)

How do you add inventory.

When selecting the inventory button and select Add Inventory I get runtime error 94 - Invalid use of null.

How did you come up with the factor 0.994837 to convert from points per pound per gallon into metric?

parktho said:
How did you come up with the factor 0.994837 to convert from points per pound per gallon into metric?
Hi parktho

Sorry I don't remember and I can't find a website, if I google the value of the factor it comes up with a website which requires a sign in. It was originally used in my Kit & Extract Spreadsheet for speciality grains.

Hi Folks

Can someone tell me what i have to do when transferring recipes between versions. I have seen the big red warning telling me not to add anything straight into the recipes tab, so where do i cut and paste to?

taztiger said:
Hi Folks

Can someone tell me what i have to do when transferring recipes between versions. I have seen the big red warning telling me not to add anything straight into the recipes tab, so where do i cut and paste to?
It should be Ok, just make sure the first lot of individual recipes go down to row 23. The warning was put there because extra lines were added to the recipes between some older versions.

ianh said:
It should be Ok, just make sure the first lot of individual recipes go down to row 23. The warning was put there because extra lines were added to the recipes between some older versions.

Ok will try that.

Thanks again Ian.

I'm doing my first AG in a long time, and this spreadsheet looks really fun useful :)

Does "Approx Mash Volume" include the water added from Sparging?

Drew said:
I'm doing my first AG in a long time, and this spreadsheet looks really fun useful :)

Does "Approx Mash Volume" include the water added from Sparging?
The spreadsheet is intended for BIAB thus does not include sparging.

hey guys sorry to dig up an old thread, but i'm getting my brew gear out of storage, and looking at getting into the BIAB this time, is this program (or perhaps an update) still available?

cheers
Joel

Ianh

I love the KK sheet it tought me a lot about brewing kits.
I am just starting my BIAB build and look forward to using this sheet.

Thanks again Ianh

I am using Beersmith 2, and I find it ok for transferring recipoies from brewbuilder on the HB store I use.

I don't think I fully use BS2 to its full extent as I don't really give a toss about percentage efficiency and water loss and every other factor than can be recorded.

I do BIAB and so I guess what are the advantages of this spreadsheet over the BS2 program as Iam for all things simple and easy, and if it turns out the xls file is easier to use then I will make the switch?

Back