Biab Beer Designer Spreadsheet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent initiative, will take a closer look when I am not on my netbook. Had a quick squizz, and maybe I culd offer a suggestion? For many people the BIAB concept is great for brewing in small spaces and with less gear. I suspect a lot of BIAB'ers also no-chill, so how about a tick box option for NC?

My pet peeve with software is that I cant have the recipe on file looking the same as the process (ie my 45 addition is 60, my in-cube is 15 etc).

Just a thought, but regardless it's great to see people doing things for the community. If it's as good as what people say about your kits worksheet, then BIAB brewers will hve an excellent tool t their disposal, for free.

Thanks

Had a look at doing this, some people only change the flavour and aroma hop times rather than all, could add an option that would add say 15 minutes to all calcs on selecting NC.

I do BIAB with NC but partly get around the problem by using hop bags which I remove at end of boil, then add any aroma hops to the fermenter.

cheers

Ian

+1 to a no chill option. That'd be great. I can't look atm because I'm on my phone. Can someone tell me if we can do smaller batches? My urn is only 20L.

EDIT: Oops, sorry Ian. Didn't see your last post. This is so great. I can't wait to get home and check it out.

I am moving to BIAB with an urn soon. This looks great. I cant wait to see the finished product.

Love this too. Wish I could get the ultimate functionality running it on a Mac ... so may have to install BootCamp or somesuch workaround.

I'm an utterly sad ******* and reckon it would be useful to have a pricing column too ... shouldn't be too difficult :icon_vomit:

Great work Ian. Your KandE version really helped me get my head around how the brewing process worked. Then you go and make a BIAB version with me recently converting to BIAB. Your a good man, thanks.

Hi Ian, this thing is awesome.

Just a quick question... How do you save recepies? I have a mac at home and use the work computer as least I can so macros are a bit beyond me. So if you could, a little walk through would be very much appreciated for the windows based PC at work.

Cheers mate, top job.

Hi Ian, this thing is awesome.

Just a quick question... How do you save recepies? I have a mac at home and use the work computer as least I can so macros are a bit beyond me. So if you could, a little walk through would be very much appreciated for the windows based PC at work.

Cheers mate, top job.

Sorry for delay in replying just back from 4 days bushwalking.

Some people have got a project libary error when trying to save recipes, not sure what error you get. Not sure about the Mac but this may help for the work computer.

If you open the spreadsheet. Hit ALT & F11 should bring up visual basic.

In the visual basic Window go to the Tools Menu and select References I have ticked

Visual Basic for Applications
MS Excel 12.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
MS Office 12.0 Object Library
MS Forms 2.0 Object Library
MS Word 12.0 Object Library

I am using Excel 2007 so if using a different version will get a number other than 12.0, hope that fixes the problem.

Hopefully will have updated vesion shortly, time is the problem.

cheers

Ian

Found an error on the BIAB worksheet the Start of Boil Volume calc is incorrect.

On the BIAB worksheet Copy cell M15 to cell M13 should fix the problem.

cheers

Ian

Is this still required to be done with the current download?
Cheers

Ian, have you thought of converting this to ODS format, given both excel is capable of using it, and it's an open standard (ISO) and fully compatible with my programs and operating systems?

Well done.

Goomba

Is this still required to be done with the current download?
Cheers

Presume that was for the previous version, attached is the lastest version that I been promising for awhile. Fixed some calculations, added a factor for ibu's when no chilling (though I No Chill I remove the hop bags at the end of boil so I don't use the factor) also added a factor which changes the FG based on mash temperature. Changed the Hop worksheet so now everything is in the comments. Can't think what else.

View attachment BIAB_Beer_Designer1.2.xls

cheers

Ian

Ian, have you thought of converting this to ODS format, given both excel is capable of using it, and it's an open standard (ISO) and fully compatible with my programs and operating systems?

Well done.

Goomba

Thanks. No I had not thought of doing this. I tend to find that the there are problems running the macros whenever you try to put the spreadsheet in another format. For example take the Make Recipe macro, one of the things it does is to copy the Brewday worksheet and paste it as a comment on the Brews worksheet. To do this (and it's the only way I found) the macro opens MS Word in the background copies the info to Word then copies it from MS Word into the comment on the Brews Worksheet, the macro then closes MS Word.

One of the reasons the spreadsheet is unprotected is so other people may use it in whatever applications they want.

cheers

Ian

Great spreadsheet.
Hats off for the efforts.
This is how you take ownwership of the art!

Thanks. No I had not thought of doing this. I tend to find that the there are problems running the macros whenever you try to put the spreadsheet in another format. For example take the Make Recipe macro, one of the things it does is to copy the Brewday worksheet and paste it as a comment on the Brews worksheet. To do this (and it's the only way I found) the macro opens MS Word in the background copies the info to Word then copies it from MS Word into the comment on the Brews Worksheet, the macro then closes MS Word.

One of the reasons the spreadsheet is unprotected is so other people may use it in whatever applications they want.

cheers

Ian

Yes, macros rarely work from app to app. But designing in .ods would allow anyone to use it, instead of just those who purchase Microsoft Office.

OpenOffice is free for everyone - just download and go.

It's very popular here in the US. Maybe not so much in Australia...

Anyway, it looks great!

Michael

Yes, macros rarely work from app to app. But designing in .ods would allow anyone to use it, instead of just those who purchase Microsoft Office.

OpenOffice is free for everyone - just download and go.

It's very popular here in the US. Maybe not so much in Australia...

Anyway, it looks great!

Michael

Popular here too. I run it on my windows 7 computer at work, my linux machines at home and can recommend it to anyone that owns a mac (rather than Office for Mac or that stupid Mac program Numbers, which isn't compatible with anything, unless you "export" to excel and it never renders right). It allows me to share documents with anyone - it works in office, but if someone doesn't have office (or a legal copy of it), I recommend them to d/l open office.

That's why I asked the question - as the macros don't all work. I can do what I need to do manually, but it's a shame to have all those macros not working across all platforms.

Good job, nonetheless.

Goomba

Presume that was for the previous version, attached is the lastest version that I been promising for awhile. Fixed some calculations, added a factor for ibu's when no chilling (though I No Chill I remove the hop bags at the end of boil so I don't use the factor) also added a factor which changes the FG based on mash temperature. Changed the Hop worksheet so now everything is in the comments. Can't think what else.

View attachment 49314

cheers

Ian

Ian, I have just downloaded the latest version.
On the main page -- Row H5, I have a note in Red which says ADJUST THE VOLUMES OF CO2.
Should this be there ?
Love the programme and the new version. Well done.
BIAB_screen.png

Looks like I'll have to get Open Office as my Mac won't allow it to work very well at all. Never the less, huge amount of work for which we thanks kindly.

Ian, I have just downloaded the latest version.
On the main page -- Row H5, I have a note in Red which says ADJUST THE VOLUMES OF CO2.
Should this be there ?
Love the programme and the new version. Well done.
View attachment 49324

Hi Nala

Thanks. Just means the CO2 volumes cell M18 are not within the style range CO2 range.

cheers

Ian

Looks like I'll have to get Open Office as my Mac won't allow it to work very well at all. Never the less, huge amount of work for which we thanks kindly.

Sorry Shifter but I understand the macros will not run in OO.

cheers

Ian

Back