Best temp for CC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmarshall

Reaction score
Ive done some reading into cold crashing.
Whats the best temp? As close to 0 as possible?
For how long is it required? Is 48 hours long enough?
Thanks.

I'd say 0-4 with colder being better. How long depends on space, time, patience, yeast and desired result.

48 hours should have some noticeable effect but you are encouraging yeast to become inactive and drop out due to gravity. You are also encouraging other particulate matter to drop out of solution. This takes time so however much time you want to give it. If using 1007 that takes ages to drop, I'd go minimum 3 weeks. Likewise for many Belgian yeasts. Something like 1272 or some British yeasts might get 24-48 hours.

For those "chico" yeasts I'd go -1 degrees for at least a week if you have a fridge that can do that. Our local Murrays brewery does -1 for ten days and Ross at Bacchus said he would do the same but his cold room would cause icing problems and OH&S issues for his workers so he has to do 3 degrees IIRC. Won't freeze it, alcohol is an anti freeze

bmarshall said:
Its BRY-97
BRY-97 is a fairly good dropper in it's own right, when its finished it'll start to clear by itself, I find that 2'c - 4'c for 3 days (with that yeast) and its pretty bright.

I was using a dedicated CC fridge but have now switched to using my Kegging fridge as there is space in there for it so am CCing at slightly higher temps (2-4 instead of 0-2) and generally for a week... mostly because Im lazy and a week at those temps is ample for clearing my beers without adding finings.

Latest posts

Back