Best Priming Option For A Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before i went to kegs, i use to bulk prime with 140 grams of DME for a 23 litre batch.

Rook

'Should' being the operative word.

IMO if you have a healthy, complete fermentation there is no reason that you should end up with excessive acetaldehyde production from the use of sucrose. I hate acetaldehyde in beers too, however this is often associated white white sugar incorrectly. It is usually due to poor yeast health due to either underpitching or excessive fermentation temperatures. Hence why kit brews are often associated with "cider" or "green apple" regardless of the sugars used in fermentation.

Another one that is worth experimenting with is natural 100% maple syrup. Smoky, woody and dry.
Interesting on the maple syrup. That stuff can get expensive though. I guess over in North America it's a lot cheaper and readily available particularly in the rural spots. Have relatives there that get big plastic jugs of the stuff for a pittance. The cheapest stuff in the supermarkets here is 'maple flavoured' (more like golden syrup with additives?), if only we had the plantations the yanks had. When the budget allows might have a tinker though with a small batch though, interesting idea. Don't think getting the relos to ship it over would be worthwhile - the weight and shipping could be a killer.

Hopper.

oh, yeah, proper maple syrup is bloody expensive. I used it back in my k&k days as an experimental thing. 12 months later, had 1 bottle left, and had long moved into full extract brewing....tried it, and it was good. interesting flavour.

You can get 250mL bottles for $4.50 of Queen Real Maple Syrup at my local convenience store (everything else is 200% overpriced). I reckon I might use some in a beer.. .What styles would suit it? (Sorry to digress, but I think the priming question is over?).

When I tried it was back when I was doing kits, and I added a 250ml (ish) bottle in primary with a coopers real ale kit. So something similar ish, should work well.

For alot of stronger and darker beers I generally cut down my priming sugar (dextrose generally) in half, especially if the FG is quite high.
Nothing is worse than an overcarbed stout, or the like. The prickly/sharp carbonation tends to add to the overall astrigency of the flavour, making it harder to sit down and drink.
If the carbonation is a bit less lively, but still there, you can really appreciate the richness and creaminess of the palate and flavour of the beer more...IMO anyway!

Well my brown sugar priming experiment has turned out odd.

Got a beer with a good head on it, but no overpowering tastes seem to be added and not really detecting the caramel that I thought might come from all that I'd read. Tasting pretty darn similar to when I tried a sip from the fermenter tap before bottling (odd I know, but its in the name of brew science right?)

The caramel taste of brown sugar priming could be busted. Not sure as yet - will leave the brewskis a few more weeks to see if any more flavours arrive. Somehow I doubt it but you never know. Did hop it pretty heavy with Fuggles so might try again with a less agressively flavoured stout and see.

Hopper.

I think the flavour profile of a stout might be a bit heavy for the brown sugar. Something a little less aggressive, like a brown ale, might give better results.

Latest posts

Back