Best place to buy milled grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustin

Reaction score
Sooo...... started on building the new kit, will hopefully be finished in the next couple of weeks. Just wanted to start into looking at where to buy my grain and hops. As i don't have a mill yet i will need to buy it already milled.

So who's best to deal with to buy Milled grain and T90 hops and to have delivered to home?

Thanks guys.....

Keg king in springvale, grain and grape in yarraville, barwon home brewing in colac all mill and post.

Fullpint.com.au is another one I can vouch for their excellent customer service

plenty of choice.
I get my grain from Cheeky Peak, been very happy, they have a good range of hops but can be limited.
I get yeast mostly from Full Pint, great service and fresh yeast.
Postage is a bitch but so is shit beer.

In addition to the above good choices, Country Brewer do milled grain and can post. Located in Daylesford if you're ever on the other side of Victoria.

TK1 said:
In addition to the above good choices, Country Brewer do milled grain and can post. Located in Daylesford if you're ever on the other side of Victoria.
Does he sell bulk grain? I see it on the website but they look to be a franchise.. As the local Ballarat home brew shop does not cater to an all grain Brewer and driving to melbourne can be a pain.

Country Brewer in Daylesford does have base malts in bulk, he also has a huge range of milled specialties in 500g bags.

Hi Drewski - yes, Daylesford TCB have a selection of grains in 25kg bags and pretty sure he can get in other varieties. Give Mark a call and I'm sure he'll try to help you out (no connection, just satisfied customer).

Full Pint and Cheeky Peak are the best in the business. Full Pint do $20 shipping for up to 23kg. That's great for grain orders!! Both have amazing customer service.

Steve from brewman has a great business going very fast service. Not sure what the postage would be to you though!

Cheeky Peak are the best, alas, I wouldn't buy grain in sacks from them since the shipping costs destroy any value :) -- Barley Man in Sydney are great for that.

Considering the economies of scale -- buy in bulk - sacks... And mill it yourself since unmilled grain stores the best (I use foodgrade 20lt buckets with tight lids). A Keg King mill would cost about $100 on ebay... I've mounted mine on one of the bucket's lid for convenience... And don't use the handle -- any hand drill makes much better (less tedious) job of crushing the grains :)

Just a short thought. I would avoid buying pre-crushed specialty grains, and especially pre-packaged ones, unless you can get a freshness guarantee.

I bought some like that, a while ago now, from the only brew shop I was aware of at the time. Took me a while to work out that oxidised slack grains were not improving my beer.

Was caught out last year with a franchised brew store, where stock rotation was not checked and I took home a (rarely brewed) Kit that was already out of date (I trusted that it would be OK, as it wasn't discounted stock, marked as CLEARANCE). I don't blame the shop, but I think I emailed and advised them.
The beer had great oxidised character, and if anyone wants to know what THAT tastes like, I can can give you my address, if you want to send me a return address pre-paid padded post bag. Only have about 40 stubbies left though, so, be quick.

I thought that buying a grain mill was a great idea, but my lhbs has a great mill and iirc charges no extra to crack grain - go Brewman! So I buy the grain and crack my own by hand crank, for the exercise. Think I have a good crack now, at 80% brewhouse efficiency.

I just got an order from fullpint, Andrew is great to deal with and happy to answer any questions, I'll be going back for sure

Les the Weizguy said:
I bought some like that, a while ago now, from the only brew shop I was aware of at the time. Took me a while to work out that oxidised slack grains were not improving my beer.

Was caught out last year with a franchised brew store, where stock rotation was not checked
ryhmes with 'tree ruir' ? ;)

and I'll add a +1 to Brewman being a good choice

Nationalhomebrew hands down

I'd only look at ordering from others if I was looking at getting other misc brewing items at the same time

If the supplier uses Fastway 5 kilo bags it's going to cost you $11 whether you buy from Brewman, Craftbrewer or whatever. You can get a good selection of spec grains in 5k so buy on price and recommendations.

Latest posts

Back