Best option for a new fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything will work provided that:
  • Smooth internal surface
  • Unreactive/stable/foodgrade material
  • No nooks and crannys in any inlets/outlets
  • Opaque (not essential but UV does horrid things to beer)

The last thing to worry about is how the CO2 escapes, so long as it can.

Thanks for the suggestions, there are a lot of different options out there!
Time for me to do a bit more research.

Cheers Brendan

I'll agree with stainless steel options. I've almost given away using plastic fermenters all together. 50lt kegmenter for 38lt brews (transferred to 2 x 19lt cornies) now I just need to find one of those 23lt corny kegs for 19lt brews too. No tainted smelling stained plastics, no exposures at all anymore with co2 forced transfers. Stainless basically lasts forever. If I bottle its from the keg already clear and conditioned so you don't have sediment in the bottle. Its a little tricky and fiddly to bottle and get carbonations right though. Best just drink beer on tap with the option to fill a growler to take away.

It all seems like a lot less work with this system now for a more professional like process.

klangers said:
The last thing to worry about is how the CO2 escapes, so long as it can.
Learnt that one the hard way - 20L of slightly fermented Kolsch in the fridge and garage floor and a split cube did not make me happy

SS BrewTech Brewmaster Bucket. Easily the best fermenter I've owned. I've owned 30L/60L plastic fermenters and a Ss BrewTech Chronical 26L.
Brewmaster Bucket is the perfect balance of stainless, ease of storing and cleaning and price - for my needs.

Danscraftbeer said:
I'll agree with stainless steel options. I've almost given away using plastic fermenters all together. 50lt kegmenter for 38lt brews (transferred to 2 x 19lt cornies) now I just need to find one of those 23lt corny kegs for 19lt brews too. No tainted smelling stained plastics, no exposures at all anymore with co2 forced transfers. Stainless basically lasts forever. If I bottle its from the keg already clear and conditioned so you don't have sediment in the bottle. Its a little tricky and fiddly to bottle and get carbonations right though. Best just drink beer on tap with the option to fill a growler to take away.It all seems like a lot less work with this system now for a more professional like process.
FYI

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/91571-vic-kegs-for-sale/

Yob said:
Winequip olive oil drum, perfect trade off between more expensive conical type SS fv's
I've got 2 x 50l and one x 30l, clean-up is a doddle and they come with the best taps in the known universe
Hi Yob
Do you fit a blow off tube to your lid or do you do the glad wrap thing on your drum?
Checked the price and at $130.00 plus $25 ish for the tap you can't go wrong!
Cheers
Bevan

Second on the Winequip fustis. So easy to clean and they ARE the best taps in the known universe.

I have also gotten a few of the 40L Mytton Rodd kegs to do low-pressure ferments in with pressurised transfer. If you're patient, you can usually track these down on gumtree for $50-$70, and then you'll need a seal replacement kit. I know National Homebrew sells the kits and I've heard Brewman does too.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1468911323.318089.jpg

peteru said:
I'm interested in slightly more detail on the fermentation side. What do you do instead of an airlock? Just leave the pressure relief valve open?

What about keeping the yeast out of the final keg? Shorter dip tube in the fermenting keg?
Peter,

WRT fermenting. I no chill. I keep the fermenter sealed up tight and then attach my oxygen bottle via a disconnect to the liquid out post. Introduce oxygen, vent some off via pressure release valve. Shake like crazy man. I then put into the fermenter my prepared yeast. I use another disconnect on the gas post, a beer tube into a bottle of starsan. The C02 is then just vented off as usual.

When the fermenting is almost finished I take the disconnect off the gas post and allow the C02 to build pressure. There are a couple of options for removing the beer. You can use a shorter dip tube, but I prefer to cold crash for a few days and then just decant off the first litre or two from the bottom of the keg. You can clean the yeast if you like, or just discard. In then use a jumper lead to decant the clear beer into a conventional corny keg.

I like this system because it is simple, and keeps oxygen away from the fermented beer. Works for me.

Cheers, Anthony

I've been using 50L kegs with a kit from Brewhardware:

https://www.brewhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SankeFermenterKit_pressure

It's a great setup, it lets you vary the pickup tube depth so that you can leave the yeast on the bottom and has a thermowell for accurate temperature control.

The only negative is that you cannot get your hand through the keg opening for cleaning, however I now fill with a hot mix of 100% perc and water and leave overnight. I then drain and rinse with a spray wand I made from PVC pipe and it is perfectly clean.

Being all stainless you can also sanitise with steam which is handy.

bevan said:
Hi Yob
Do you fit a blow off tube to your lid or do you do the glad wrap thing on your drum?
Checked the price and at $130.00 plus $25 ish for the tap you can't go wrong!
Cheers
Bevan
Gladewrap man, lids are handy for cleaning but not needed to fit a blow off

for another option for those looking at the olive oil stainless containers (and need it shipped and prefer the ease of online ordering)
http://www.theolivecentre.com/ has an online store, and do similar items to winequip

Their prices include a stainless tap (different to winequips though i think) and shipping
(make an account first as the price is slightly cheaper for some reason if you are logged in with an account)

- 30L - $190 (http://www.theolivecentre.com/Olive-Equipment/OLIVE-OIL-STORAGE-SETTLING/30L-Olive-oil-storage-tank.html)
- 50L - $209 (http://www.theolivecentre.com/Olive-Equipment/OLIVE-OIL-STORAGE-SETTLING/50L-Olive-oil-storage-container.html)

My only negative with mine is the deadspace below the tap outlet hole, meaning you need to lean/tilt the fermenter when transferring out (and i havent sourced a pickup tube yet)

trevgale said:
The only negative is that you cannot get your hand through the keg opening for cleaning, however I now fill with a hot mix of 100% perc and water and leave overnight. I then drain and rinse with a spray wand I made from PVC pipe and it is perfectly clean.

Being all stainless you can also sanitise with steam which is handy.
I have looked into a number of stainless fermenter options and all of them so far have been prohibitively expensive. Though the kegmenter kits seem like reasonable value I'm also not keen on the idea of having to use a keg full of water for the soak + more for all the rinsing!

I 2nd the Winequip olive oil drums.

I treated myself to a 30L number and it's probably one of the best investments I have made towards my homebrewing.

Cleaning is way easy, easier than plastic. and the available tap is god's gift.

It worked well with plastic film and the lid o ring, but I folded and drilled a hole in the lid so I can fit an air lock.

Some say that plastic can retain flavours and smell, I agree. You don't get that with SS.

Plus with the shit that can leech out of plastic..

fdsaasdf said:
I have looked into a number of stainless fermenter options and all of them so far have been prohibitively expensive. Though the kegmenter kits seem like reasonable value I'm also not keen on the idea of having to use a keg full of water for the soak + more for all the rinsing!
This keg conversion kit from norcalbrewing has a spray head as part of the kit. http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Ultimate-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit.html
Then just grab a standard keg.(legally). Even with shipping you likely be under kk's kegmenter for $$.

And just since no one mentioned it there is the WW Brewkeg 50 ..... but I'm told it won't hit our shores for 5 or so months.

MastersBrewery said:
This keg conversion kit from norcalbrewing has a spray head as part of the kit. http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Ultimate-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit.html
Then just grab a standard keg.(legally). Even with shipping you likely be under kk's kegmenter for $$.
That looks pretty good, it is basically the same as the setup I have but with the addition of the spray head. You can just turn the keg upside down and wash it out without having to fill it. I have setup copper coils and insulation on mine and have it hooked up to glycol do I prefer to just use the (maybe) extra water and not have to disconnect and move them.

Yob said:
Winequip olive oil drum, I've got 2 x 50l
Do these hold exactly 50litres or are they a little larger. I ferment 2 cubes at a time which is bang on 46litres. I've nearly got the cash together for a grain mill then I'm on the hunt for some fermenting bling.
But if it means changing the size of my cubes and fridges I'll be sticking with my canoe drums.

Latest posts

Back