Best option for a new fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nattydstar said:
Got a reply, seems he's had a few queries thanks to AHB -

"Best I could do on a bulk buy would be $145 complete with tap incl GST ex Melbourne – say for 10 ...
So it seems that nothing came of this?

I feel the need for something new and shiny as a Christmas present to myself.

Trying to decide between a Brewtech Brew Bucket 7 or an Aginox 30L with tap. Does anyone have thoughts on whether the psuedo conical Brew Bucket is all that much better in terms of the effects of minimising surface area contact with yeast cake?

Having looked closely at both, but only used the Aginox, I don't really see the point of the Brew Bucket 7. The Aginox works fantastically well. I would definitely go conical at larger volumes, but I fail to see the added advantage a BB7 faux conical gives, at those volumes. "The Brew Bucket's conical bottom allows trub to settle out nicely in a more concentrated space and has the effect of minimizing the surface area of your beer that is contact with the trub during ferment, which then minimizes “off” flavors in your beer! " Just how long are they leaving the beer on the trub? The BB7 is cute, and has a bunch of nice touches, like the etched volume markings and the rotating racking arm, but I don't see what the genuine added value is. I have yet to say, "Gee, I wish I had a rotating racking arm on this Aginox fermenter."

Can't go past the old Bunnings 30lt drum with gladwrap. Simple to clean fill with water and perc and leave to soak overnight then just hose it out thoroughly. Then just a spash of starsan on brew day and your ready to roll again

I don't understand the repeated advice to fill buckets with water and perc (or other cleaners) and let to soak overnight. First of all, it's a huge waste of water that doesn't have many other uses, except for laundry. Second of all, if you clean up straight away, you should be able to do it with 1 or 2L of mixed up perc in about 15 minutes. All it takes is a wipe with a sponge or a gentle scrub with a soft brush when you use hot cleaning solution.

peteru said:
I don't understand the repeated advice to fill buckets with water and perc (or other cleaners) and let to soak overnight.
I guess it is the convenience for me. I can fill the fermenter up with hot water from the tap, chuck in some perc and put the lid on, come back the next day (or whenever) empty the fermenter and rinse with the hose using hot water.

Rarely have to wipe or scrub as the perc works so well.

Latest posts

Back