Best option for a new fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure it's more than, I've done a double cube ferment in them before with minimal mess, best off ringing them to check exact volumes though.

I mostly use my 50's for explosive ferments that the 30 won't cope with like RIS

Kingy said:
Do these hold exactly 50litres or are they a little larger. I ferment 2 cubes at a time which is bang on 46litres. I've nearly got the cash together for a grain mill then I'm on the hunt for some fermenting bling.
But if it means changing the size of my cubes and fridges I'll be sticking with my canoe drums.
Kingy
I have not seen the 50L but I have 30L and 15L ones
the 15L holds 18L to the brim
The 30L holds 36L to the brim
so i'm guessing the 50L would hold more than 56L

plus the gladwrap stretches a lot. even with a 25L brew I would have at least 14L headspace

Spiesy said:
SS BrewTech Brewmaster Bucket. Easily the best fermenter I've owned. I've owned 30L/60L plastic fermenters and a Ss BrewTech Chronical 26L.
Brewmaster Bucket is the perfect balance of stainless, ease of storing and cleaning and price - for my needs.
Is the total volume 26L ... ie including headspace?

Just checked out the two brew tech buckets.. it seems as the only thing the brewmaster has over the brew bucket is an apparent $60 temp probe + thermowell. Seems like a cash grab??

Still, pondering some sort of stainless bling in the ferment department.

I contacted winequip yesterday regarding the 30L olive oil drum:

"The 30L oil drum is $145 plus $25 for the optional s/steel tap"

I'll ask about shipping, and the 50L. And the possibility of a bulk buy.

I'm all ears for a bulk buy. 30L with tap delivered to Sydney. No commitment yet, but very much interested in pricing.

Got a reply, seems he's had a few queries thanks to AHB -

"Best I could do on a bulk buy would be $145 complete with tap incl GST ex Melbourne – say for 10 - seem to have had undue number of enquiries for these in last 3 or so days so presume it is on a forum somewhere…we can freight anywhere so no issue with that, but ideally would be best to ship to one address in each state for best freight efficiency

50L drums are $175 but I’m out of stock for now"

I'm looking at scaling up my operation in the next few months, so I'd be more keen to look at a 50L, whenever they're back in stock. I'm based on the southern end of the Gold Coast and would be happy to receive and store a bunch of them for people to pick up from here, or happy to collect from anywhere between Byron and Brisbane.

mofox1 said:
Is the total volume 26L ... ie including headspace?

Just checked out the two brew tech buckets.. it seems as the only thing the brewmaster has over the brew bucket is an apparent $60 temp probe + thermowell. Seems like a cash grab??

Still, pondering some sort of stainless bling in the ferment department.
Can't remember about total volume of the Chronical, mate. I did two brews in it, and it was a prick to clean (compared to the Bucket) so I got rid of it.

$60 for a pre-drilled and fitted thermowell is worth it for me. I like being able to monitor the beer from the middle of the brew. Besides, I may have got a discount on it at the time, so it probably wasn't $60 difference ;)

Nattydstar said:
"Best I could do on a bulk buy would be $145 complete with tap incl GST ex Melbourne"
I'd definitely consider this if a bulk buy happens (if it's not too much more to get some to Sydney).

Nattydstar said:
Got a reply, seems he's had a few queries thanks to AHB -

"Best I could do on a bulk buy would be $145 complete with tap incl GST ex Melbourne – say for 10 - seem to have had undue number of enquiries for these in last 3 or so days so presume it is on a forum somewhere…we can freight anywhere so no issue with that, but ideally would be best to ship to one address in each state for best freight efficiency

50L drums are $175 but I’m out of stock for now"

I'm looking at scaling up my operation in the next few months, so I'd be more keen to look at a 50L, whenever they're back in stock. I'm based on the southern end of the Gold Coast and would be happy to receive and store a bunch of them for people to pick up from here, or happy to collect from anywhere between Byron and Brisbane.
if a bb were to go ahead i would take two. one 30l and one 50l or 2 x 30l would do

wildburkey said:
They look super fine batz. The 50L would be good for bright tanks if they could hold the pressure; Has anyone tried this?

I'd be really interested in hearing that, too. I don't drink all that damned much and I'm sort of wondering if the five-litre version could work as a sort of cask, sitting on the counter to pour low-carbonated ales from and if they could be used as a storage option under low pressure? It wouldn't be cheap, but if I had a few of them like that, I'd be very interested.

And then two thirty litre ones to ferment in. :D

scooterism said:
There was something about these ones that steered me away, tap height too high maybe?
I think so. The Olive Centre gear is Sansone. It's shorter and wider, so you may be able to fit more in the brew area, but I find it painful to get the beer out of. I checked last night and i needed just over 8 litres of water in the tank before it started to dribble out of the open tap. That's why I normally siphon the beer out, rather than use the tap.
The tap is not as good as the Aginox tap, that's available with the taller, narrower Aginox olive drums.
I have fermented a 46 litre wort in the 50 l vessel and no foaming out the top, but there was definitely hop residue under the lid. There would, however, have been more head space if I'd thought to use plastic wrap.
Just remember how high you need the fermentor to sit on the fridge shelf, too. It's not easy manually lifting that mother into the fridge , onto a higher shelf.

My best buy (for my fridges and brew space) is the 50 litre and the Aginox tap.

Brendan_W said:
Hi all,

I'm currently using a coopers fermenter (without an air lock). It's getting a bit old and and I'm looking at my options for a new one. I'm thinking either a standard plastic bucket type with or without an air lock or a glass carboy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is the better option and why?

Cheers
Brendan
If your Coopers fermentor is an old one you might want to consider upgrading to their new model which was released a few years ago. Its probably the best designed plastic fermentor going. In tribute to the gladwrappers there is no airlock, just a snug fitting lid. Also a flat panel on the side and slightly more transparent plastic which gives a good view of the yeast activity within (to be able to see what's going on inside is a nice attribute for both new and old brewers - afterall empirical observation is at the heart of all crafts). The best feature is the new designed tap. No threads to harbour bugs - its a push-fit with a silicone seal. And the tap itself breaks apart so you can open it up and easily sanitise every nook and cranny. There is also a removeable 'krausen collar' which helps you cope with more volcanic fermentations (eg. stouts).

coopers fermentor.jpg

http://store.coopers.com.au/coopers-diy-beer-fermenting-vessel-34ltr.html

Latest posts

Back