Best Multi Purpose High Aa Hop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Im in the market for some High Alph Acid general purpose bittering hop.
What is your favorite neutral flavour, high AA hop?

Im in the market for some High Alph Acid general purpose bittering hop.
What is your favorite neutral flavour, high AA hop?

Magnum. Neutral, clean and the batch I have is around the 14% mark

Wouldn't that be a single purpose hop? I agree Magnum is the best neutral bittering hop I have used. Super Alpha is another good one.

SB, if you are looking for a modern UK bitterer try Admiral, around 11% and a good sub for Target without the harshness (According to Craftbrewer) and yes I used it in an Irish Red and :icon_drool2:
Goes great in Stouts, bitters, reds etc.

Edit: It's also got a subtle aroma, I'd even consider using it as a single hop in a malt driven strong beer.

Wouldn't that be a single purpose hop? I agree Magnum is the best neutral bittering hop I have used. Super Alpha is another good one.

True Kai, I've only had 7 pints too...will read OP properly next time.. :icon_cheers:

My vote would be for Southern Cross. High AA% and I have had good results as a bittering hop and also in a single hop beer.

Beg pardon.. I did mean single porpoise... front end bittrin only. Clean

SB, if you are looking for a modern UK bitterer try Admiral, around 11% and a good sub for Target without the harshness (According to Craftbrewer) and yes I used it in an Irish Red and :icon_drool2:
Goes great in Stouts, bitters, reds etc.

Edit: It's also got a subtle aroma, I'd even consider using it as a single hop in a malt driven strong beer.

Would the super pride you've been using fit here Bribie or not neutral ?
No experience with this one. Please tell your results.
Daz

Me too, Love SA, but not really neutral. Magnum is a good bittering hop but always seems to have some sort of metallic flavour to my palate, used it again recently after some years, it's there again.................bugger.

Screwy

Fairly limited experience (as in I tend to use the same 5 or so hop varieties again and again - brew dependent) but I reckon Northern Brewer is pretty good.

Not super high but maybe with super high you're also more likely to pick something else up (? complete an utter postulation on my part - I have no real idea)

Anyway usually sits just under 9%.

Yes, Northern Brewer is a good one.

Me too, Love SA, but not really neutral. Magnum is a good bittering hop but always seems to have some sort of metallic flavour to my palate, used it again recently after some years, it's there again.................bugger.

Screwy

What not-really-neutral-ness do you get from SA, screwy?

My vote would be for Southern Cross. High AA% and I have had good results as a bittering hop and also in a single hop beer.

Me too. Southern Cross is a monster with no flavour in boil lengths longer than 60 minutes. It'll strip paint.

Should some flavour be needed then it gives a nice jasmine flavour IMO.

Used Super Alpha, Super Prides, Magnum and currently Warrior. All pleased with the results, you would have enjoyed those down at 5ibc over time mate.

Scotty

Would the super pride you've been using fit here Bribie or not neutral ?
No experience with this one. Please tell your results.
Daz

Superpride is great for Aussie beers, don't know how it would go in UK or American ales. It's derived from Pride of Ringwood so not really all that clean or neutral. I've got a six pack of Coopers in the fridge that a mate gave me and a pack of Superpride as well, I can feel a Pale Ale coming on :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

What about Green Bullet, I have had good results in lagers with it and will be using it in a FES this Fri arv.

Wouldn't call it neutral, but i've been using alot of Warrior as my bittering hop of choice for quite some time now. The bitterness it produces are quite clean and the high AA definately gets you bang for your buck.
I have alot of Topaz in stock also which is something like 16%AA, but from what i've experienced thus far, the bitterness isn't all too clean...somewhat resiny if anything.

What about Green Bullet, I have had good results in lagers with it and will be using it in a FES this Fri arv.
Brad, I've used GB heaps of times but can't see that it's a good bittering hop. I love the hop especially in a Kiwi pale but even though I put in a fair whack it still comes out quite mild. I don't know how they come up with that AA rating - at the rate I use it I should have a big mouth pucker, but nope.

I'll second the Magnum suggestions - very nice bittering hop. A close second for me is Columbus.

What not-really-neutral-ness do you get from SA, screwy?

Kai,

I use a truckload of SA, to my palate SA gives that kind of C-Hop ness (grapefruity/citrus) even when only used for bittering. Find it similar in a lot of ways to Galaxy another fav.

Matching it with other finishing hops can reduce the effect, a la JSGA when used with Amarillo. Much more niticeable when combined with Fuggle a la JSIPA. Maybe it's just me/my palate or maybe the bittering levels I use :icon_cheers:

Screwy

Latest posts

Back