best kit and kilo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boiling hot, straight from the kettle.

I used a big coffee plunger for this when I first started, there are better ways to utilize hops but this is a quick and easy way to get a taste of what they can do for your brewing. You can work on improving your process once you have your head around the basics.

oznewbie said:
Then leave out the pale ale yeast?

the malt extract is replacement for the sugar, malt, brew enhancer I assume? Because its fresher than the powdered?

thanks guys.

Im actually learning here (even though its the most basic of basic)

There are a couple I want to try now.
with dry hopping, how much, and for how long?
Just use the US-05 yeast and not the one that comes with the tin. The liquid malt extract tin is a substitute for the sugar or brew enhancer.

Il give that a go. Id rather go down that route, instead of opening it up half way into the fermentation stage.

any other way of using the hops? Or should I just pick up a cheap coffee plunger?

panzerd18 said:
Just use the US-05 yeast and not the one that comes with the tin. The liquid malt extract tin is a substitute for the sugar or brew enhancer.

thanks man :)

You can also get a hop sock fine mesh bag to keep the hops in. Sold at local homebrew stores.

1.7 kg Coopers pale ale
1.5kg coopers malt extract, light or 1kg DLME
20g cascade hop tea
us-05 yeast
lower temp 18-20*c

2 week ferment.
2 week bottle.
1 week fridge.

Winner?

panzerd18 said:
You can also get a hop sock fine mesh bag to keep the hops in. Sold at local homebrew stores.
Yeah, I seen that. Thanks,
il go the tea method, less chance of me introducing infection to my brew

Edit... or do you mean in the bag, in the tea? So not to strain afterwards?

oznewbie said:
1.7 kg Coopers pale ale
1.5kg coopers malt extract, light or 1kg DLME
20g cascade hop tea
us-05 yeast
lower temp 18-20*c

2 week ferment. - Check that FG is constent.
2 week bottle. 3 week bottle
1 week fridge.

Winner?
Also check out bulk priming, a quick search will give you a hundred hits.. Makes life easier and the beers more consistent.

Hi Oz,
My first brew was very similar. I would dry hop another 20g of cascade on day three on the ferment. Just adding my two cents. All the best. I just open the lid and chuck them in.

Try this out, "Fruit Salad Ale" found it on the coopers website.

Boil 3 liters of water, remove from heat and add 25grams of Amarillo and 25grams of Cascade hop pellets. Leave for 30mins to cool.
Strain into the fermenter.
Dissolve 1.5kg of dry malt extract in the fermenter
Dissolve a can of coopers pale ale in the fermenter
Top up to 21litre
Pitch some "US-05" yeast once the brew is 22degrees

This is a super easy brew that I still love drinking. Just remember the basic sanitize everything your beer is going to come in contact with and to keep the beer as close to 20degrees constant throughout fermentation.

Black rock pale can and 500g of Dex 500g light DME. This was a huge hit with mates, bugs me because I can't get them as excited about my ag beers...yet

I do a Coopers Mexican Cerveza for my son and his mates. Straight up per the instructions, BE2 & kit yeast (rehydrated & proved) and COLD water to a wort temp of 18'. I save the INT kit yeast from other cans and if I've got one I'll pitch 2 pkts. Ferment at 18-20'.
I've had some hardened Corona drinkers say it is better than the real thing.
I've also done a Tooheys Draught with 500gms light DME and the kit yeast @ 22', which an elderly man said it reminded him of the draught at the pub when he was young.

What I have found hard to get by is a TOP end beer drinker .

Top end to me is your best home brewed. Maybe I'm wrong but had a mate around yesterday for a rye beer. Told me it was the most complex I had ever brewed. Then I will be happy

We are looking at something to do worth a goat but you are not there yet. My win your fail on top end brewers. Has someone not taped you for commercial brew yet.yes you can make it but why do you want to

Moad said:
Black rock pale can and 500g of Dex 500g light DME. This was a huge hit with mates, bugs me because I can't get them as excited about my ag beers...yet
I agree.

Pilchard, the topic is, best kit and kilo.

You don't need the coffee plunger or a hop sock Oznewbie, you can just place the 20g of cascade hops into a jug and pour 1 litre of boiling water on top of them. Leave it for 5 - 10 minutes then pour the lot into the fermenter with the tin and malt.

If you're worried about the hop matter floating around your beer (I don't, it settles to the bottom after a week or so) you can pour it through a strainer if you like, the liquid 'tea' is the important stuff.

Also, don't be worried about hops introducing an infection to your brew if you wanted to try dry hopping too. Hops are a natural preservative (which is why they were introduced to beer in the first place) and won't infect your beer.

If you end up buying a 60g bag of hops from your local homebrew shop (better value for money than the hop teabags they sell) you could do the hop tea and dry hop if you liked. The hop tea will add flavor to the beer, the dry hop will give you that awesome hoppy smell.

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing at this stage.

anyway, until I get my head around the basics of cleaning, sanitising, the process and equipment ...im on the k&k's.
My advice is to get this right and to keep your first few brews simple. This helps in getting your "set up" right for consistency and doesn't over load you with too much to think about. I don't think you can go wrong with the Coopers kits keeping with Enhancer 2 or their malts. Some may disagree with this but I believe a lot of beginners get despondent and quit brewing when they attempt to go "full out" at the beginning, as until you understand the processes and procedures the more you try to do the more the risk. That's my 2 bobs worth and enjoy your beers.
Cheers

My favourite kit and kilo was Morgans Blue Mountain Lager, Morgans Caramalt, a steeped ale grain pack with a small boil of Cascade, toped to 23 ltrs and brewed with S04 yeast, always came out nice.

Using the advice and technique of previous posters, a can or Coopers Mexican Cervesa and some Cluster hops will make something Fourexesque.

you can give this a try. It's my go to recipe

Golden Ale

Coopers pale ale kit 1.7kg
Dry light malt extract 1kg
Wheat malt extract 0.4kg
Maltodextrin 0.150kg
Light crystal malt 200g steeped for 20 mins in 4 litres of water.
Add steeped water to boiling pot and add tap water to make up to 10 litres.
Boiled for 30 mins with half the dry malt extract and the wheat extract.
25g cascade hops @ 15 mins left
25 g cascade hops @ 5 mins left
1 teaspoon of Irish moss @ 5 mins left
cooled in bath of cold water.
Pale ale kit and remaining half of light malt extract mixed with maltodextrin in mixing tub. Poured the cooled wort through a sieve and added to fermenter. Made up to 21 litres with cool tap water.
2 packets of US-05 rehydrated and pitched at 24 degrees C.
After 6 days dry hopped with 25g Citra
carbonated and bottled after 10 days when specific gravity readings had stabilised.
This had been my best kit ale yet. The Citra dry hopping is a winner.

There are some nice receipes/ideas here guys

Next im going to go for ....

1.7 kg Coopers pale ale
1.5kg coopers malt extract
20g cascade hop tea
20g cascade dry hop on day 4
us-05 yeast
lower temp 18-20*c via swamp cooler method
carbonation drops 2x each tallie.

2 week ferment.
3 week bottle
fridge.

wish me luck.

thanks, all ideas/suggestions taken onboard.
(This is taken from the most recommended suggestions and im comfortable with the process)

again .... thanks

(Next is cider, strawb/lime apple cider. Lol)

Latest posts

Back