Belgian beer in Belgium

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the mods correct the incorrect grammar in the thread's title......Should read "Belgium Beer in Belgium".

Thanking you in advance, jlm.

Cheer's

(dickheadery aside......Rodenbach. The gateway drug to sour beer.)

Nice. Ghent is cool, its like a mini Bruges without all the tourists.

Some of my faves would be De Dolle oerbier, saison de dottignies (better than dupont IMO), and duchess de bourgogne.
You can do a nice sour beer 'progressive' tasting: Rodenbach -> duchess-> rodenbach grand cru.
Also if you haven't tried westvleteren 12 and feel like you need to, you may be able to find it if you ask the bar staff cos it probably won't be on the menu.

This is on tap at the moment here in Ghent . ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432572460.680568.jpg

For those Trappist monk beer lovers.
Went here last night in the market square in Ghent and had some amazing quads at under 5 euros each.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432612705.434500.jpg

I just returned from Brugge, Tried a load of fantastic beers, Beautiful Place

Check out this bottle shop !!

image1.JPG

they are everywhere, you can miss it

There is also a brewery tour you can do, its quite good, its tough to find, ask a local....The historic name is Henri Maes, I think its called the Half Moon Brewery....looks like a shop front from the outside

found a link, well worth the visit, and the bottle shop is very close to the brewery

http://www.halvemaan.be/en/home

We stayed at the Crown Plaza, a few doors away there was an irish pub, but if you left there by the back door, there was another bar with 400 different beers (bottled) and a few on tap. Get there early as its only a small place, again beers were fantastic

there was another pub we found at the end of an alley way, no idea on the name, but again it was awesome, But tiny

[SIZE=12pt]http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/08/where-to-drink-beer-bruges-brugge-belgium-best-beer-bars.htmlhttp://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/08/where-to-drink-beer-bruges-brugge-belgium-best-beer-bars.html[/SIZE]

De Halvemaan is great.

Do yourself a flavour and try the SH quad. It was fantastic !

I tried a Westy 12, Roche 10 and the SH in that trip and I'd rank them 3rd, 1st and 2nd respectively. But that's my own opinion.

That 3 beer flight did me in.

LOUNGESURFACE - WIN_20150526_200550.JPG

I have some De Halve Maan Zot Blonde ,Dubbel and Straffe Hendrik Triple from the free postage Belgian Beer Web site.
Also agree do the Brewery tour at De Halve Maan, be prepared to climb up and down ladders and watch for the low ceilings.

Brugges , you cant help but enjoy the whole experience.

We were there in January.

Definitely planned do the tour of De Halve Maan when we hit Brugge. Staying at the Flanders so a bit of a walk but will need to burn a few calories after all the frites, waffles chocolate truffles and beers. Here is today's shopping mostly from the super market.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432658936.303349.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432658978.244180.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432659066.460095.jpg

omg roastin, this just isn't fair. didn't you just do a tour of oregon breweries last year? I aspire to be a beer tourist like yourself :)

Very jealous, Roastin.

And when you say 'supermarket', they're usually only the size of an IGA, but still have whole isles dedicated to great beers.

It'd be like being able to find the finest Australian beers in every local shop back here. The Belgians have got a few hundred years head start though, I suppose.

Finding the beer is easy...how did you go finding the rest of the shopping? I must've done 50 laps of the one we were using...

.......And with over 1700 beers available in Belgium, every one needs a different glass

Getting them home is the issue

glasses.JPG

For those who find themselves outside the capital, in the east of Belgium in the ardennes forrest in a city called Liege - literally on the wrong side of the tracks - i highly suggest you check out 'the bar' the only bar you will ever need to visit Le Vaudree

- http://levaudree1.be/ it used to be my local when i was working out there - it had 900! beers available and 90+% of them are belgian beers.

slide-lln-antre-du-vaudree-bieres.jpg

Danwood said:
Very jealous, Roastin.

And when you say 'supermarket', they're usually only the size of an IGA, but still have whole isles dedicated to great beers.

It'd be like being able to find the finest Australian beers in every local shop back here. The Belgians have got a few hundred years head start though, I suppose.

Finding the beer is easy...how did you go finding the rest of the shopping? I must've done 50 laps of the one we were using...
Hehe. Yeah the one we went to was a cross between a Marks and Spencer and an Iga. Stuff was spread out everywhere but I spent most of the time dreweling in the beer aisles while SWMBO did the rest of the shopping.

Latest posts

Back