Beerkat - Kegs & Growlers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
damoninja said:
Without being too cheeky :ph34r: :ph34r: do these come in an elbow? Having an impossible time finding type 30 male to female in an elbow....... if this can be an elbow that'd save me another fitting, else I might try 5/8 to 5/8 in elbow...
We'll look into this for you and see what we can source :)

I may know a retired gent who would be happy to machine up a few fittings if required.

Batz said:
I may know a retired gent who would be happy to machine up a few fittings if required.
I checked with gascon who can do an elbow type 30 up for about $65, which I'd obviously prefer to avoid such a cost on top of $20 for the 5/8" to type 30 adapter. If I have to get one tapped I'd certainly jump the adapter and just go type 30 female to 5/8"-18 UNF male .

Ultimately whatever the solution, somehow I need to get from 5/8" male to type 30 female in 90 degree elbow configuration.

I'm even having trouble finding 5/8"-18 male to 5/8"-18 elbows, in either male or female.

If a type 30 female to 5/8"-18 UNF male is able to be done, 100% I'd be interested ;)

I've attached instructions on how to convert the Hogs Spear (cross bar) into a Double Ball Lock Spear. Essentially giving you two taps options in one.

The fluid out posts will be shipped asap once they arrive.

If you've requested to wait until the Double Ball Lock Spears arrive, no problem your order is packed waiting on spears however if you would rather receive your order now and go with the Hogs Spear and convert it just email and let us know and we will get it shipped and sent the posts once they arrive.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Shannon

View attachment Hog Spear Conversion pdf.pdf

We've just been reminded its the end of month and our 10% off and free sleeves deal had expired on our website... don't worry we've extended it for you, thanks for the support guys we've added it back on for another two weeks. :super:

Do you just sell the double ball lock head with brumby tap, adapter and liquid disconnect?

Hey Beerkat

I've noticed in a lot of photos (not on your site but others) where the regulators you carry are configured with the CO2 charge angled on its side or down. This can lead to liquid CO2 entering the reg which many regs can't handle...

Wondering if these ones can deal with it? Reason for asking is my esky build, if I can lay the CO2 cylinder down it might fit...

Be handy for others to know too so they don't nuke their reg if it's not meant to be used in such an orientation.

Cheers

mattyg8 said:
Do you just sell the double ball lock head with brumby tap, adapter and liquid disconnect?
Hi Matty - are you after everything for the spear just not the regulator? Just checking so I can let you know the price, we can sell all parts seperatly. Thanks

Beerkat Pty Ltd said:
Hi Matty - are you after everything for the spear just not the regulator? Just checking so I can let you know the price, we can sell all parts seperatly. Thanks
Yeah a price with out the reg and gas disconnect

mattyg8 said:
Yeah a price with out the reg and gas disconnect
Hi Matty - it would be $80, it's actually cheaper to buy the whole lot as a pack for $99 inc regulator etc. You will receive 10% off as well. As this isn't on the site, let me know if you would like to proceed and we can invoice you direct with the discount applied.

damoninja said:
Hey Beerkat

I've noticed in a lot of photos (not on your site but others) where the regulators you carry are configured with the CO2 charge angled on its side or down. This can lead to liquid CO2 entering the reg which many regs can't handle...

Wondering if these ones can deal with it? Reason for asking is my esky build, if I can lay the CO2 cylinder down it might fit...

Be handy for others to know too so they don't nuke their reg if it's not meant to be used in such an orientation.

Cheers
Hi Damo, if the regulators are angled this way there may be a potential risk of liquid entering the regulator body and causing corrosion of the inner spring, in saying that we haven't had any issues so far. To avoid this issue and allow more flexibility using the regulators we have sourced a one way check valve to prevent fluid return into the regulator body. Our tests so far have been very successful and we have the valves arriving within the next few weeks and we will be including these with all our regulators as standard moving forward. We can also send them out to anyone who has previously purchased a regulator from us if they would like to use it on an angle, laying down etc.. I'm pretty sure our regulators are the same as the BB regulators, if they are using the commercial grade ones so the valves should be compatible.

Beerkat Pty Ltd said:
Hi Damo, if the regulators are angled this way there may be a potential risk of liquid entering the regulator body and causing corrosion of the inner spring, in saying that we haven't had any issues so far. To avoid this issue and allow more flexibility using the regulators we have sourced a one way check valve to prevent fluid return into the regulator body. Our tests so far have been very successful and we have the valves arriving within the next few weeks and we will be including these with all our regulators as standard moving forward. We can also send them out to anyone who has previously purchased a regulator from us if they would like to use it on an angle, laying down etc.. I'm pretty sure our regulators are the same as the BB regulators, if they are using the commercial grade ones so the valves should be compatible.
Thanks again BK :) the reg is the same as the one in the bulk buy, yours arrived yesterday, I was pretty damn pleased with the construction of the little thing.

I've reassessed and it's extremely unlikely that I'll have room to lay the bottle down, but I've been speaking with a bloke at gascon and he reckons he can make me a T30-5/8" elbow (if you guys can't source that is!) which will meet my height requirements.

There's a good chance I'll use the reg on larger bottles in other settings in future so the check valve would still be useful, maybe the straight adapter too.

damoninja said:
Thanks again BK :) the reg is the same as the one in the bulk buy, yours arrived yesterday, I was pretty damn pleased with the construction of the little thing.

I've reassessed and it's extremely unlikely that I'll have room to lay the bottle down, but I've been speaking with a bloke at gascon and he reckons he can make me a T30-5/8" elbow (if you guys can't source that is!) which will meet my height requirements.

There's a good chance I'll use the reg on larger bottles in other settings in future so the check valve would still be useful, maybe the straight adapter too.
We are trying to source the elbow, sorry it is proving difficult! Good news it arrived, they are impressive little things!

Just clarifying for everyone as there seems to have been some confusion, we can offer BB/Wholsale to AHB and can match the current bb rates however we can't offer those rates unless we are the BB supplier or supplying in wholesale quantities. I think there may have been some confusion as some of our retail prices are similar to the current bb supplier rate.

My 2 x 5L mini keg combos arrived today, thanks. Great service from you guys and they seem to be a very impressive product. Lots of spare beer line and o-rings is a bonus, so thanks for that too.

Now, I am new to kegging, so the following may well be an ignorance thing, but I figure I may not be the only one.

1. You include a 70g CO2 bottle fitting for the reg, but I seem unable to find where those are sold? Do the 70g bottles have the same thread as any other size? I know you state it's not required, but I'm guessing you didn't throw it in for no reason.

2. In your instructions (point 3) it shows a photo and states "Flow Control - Insert the FC block into the cross bar". The FC block has a spring that fits one end (not visible or mentioned in the instructions) and I found the only way it fits with the spring is as below, which means it also acts as a self closing tap mechanism, which is brilliant. If my installation is correct then you should add this to your website as a selling point. My question is, is this FC a necessary thing for the pouring system and will something similar be available/standard for the ball lock tap set up?
DSC_2784.JPGDSC_2785.JPG

3. What is the little plastic block that also comes with the spare parts? Is it a spare part for something or did I miss something when putting it all together?
DSC_2783.JPG

4. Your pictures in the instructions and on your website show a brass connector between the regulator and the gas disconnect as below (the pics are small, but it is the brass bit on the disconnect in the first pic). Is this piece from an earlier prototype or is it supposed to be between the two as I don't seem to have one in either kit?
gas disconnect.jpggas disconnect and reg.jpgDSC_2786.JPG

Thanks again and I hope the above doesn't sound like a complaint, far from it. As I said, it may lay on the fact that I'm new to kegging.

EDIT - Do you guys recommend using keg lube for the washers etc for your kegs?

Jack of all biers said:
1. You include a 70g CO2 bottle fitting for the reg, but I seem unable to find where those are sold? Do the 70g bottles have the same thread as any other size? I know you state it's not required, but I'm guessing you didn't throw it in for no reason.
The thread is 5/8"-18 UNF, I don't know 100% for sure but I think paintball chargers you get here will fit. Depending on how you're planning on use it, go for a soda stream or 400g bottle, you can get adapters for each.

For the record - 5/8" I had the elbow fitting I was after made up.

kegsky-reg.JPG

Jack of all biers said:
My 2 x 5L mini keg combos arrived today, thanks. Great service from you guys and they seem to be a very impressive product. Lots of spare beer line and o-rings is a bonus, so thanks for that too. Great to hear it arrived and you're impressed :D

Now, I am new to kegging, so the following may well be an ignorance thing, but I figure I may not be the only one. No problem at all, sorry for the delay in replying!

1. You include a 70g CO2 bottle fitting for the reg, but I seem unable to find where those are sold? Do the 70g bottles have the same thread as any other size? I know you state it's not required, but I'm guessing you didn't throw it in for no reason. we include this as standard. This attachment allows you to add a soda stream converter fitting should you wish to use it with a larger size CO2 bottle. You replace the 70g fitting with the one that is already inserted then you can attach a soda stream converter to the regulator and use a soda stream bottle.

2. In your instructions (point 3) it shows a photo and states "Flow Control - Insert the FC block into the cross bar". The FC block has a spring that fits one end (not visible or mentioned in the instructions) and I found the only way it fits with the spring is as below, which means it also acts as a self closing tap mechanism, which is brilliant. If my installation is correct then you should add this to your website as a selling point. My question is, is this FC a necessary thing for the pouring system and will something similar be available/standard for the ball lock tap set up?

We are in the process of updating our instructions so you can see flow control better, the way you have inserted it is corrected. Our manufacturer originally only supplied the plastic block one that you mention however we now also have the SS spring flow control. The SS spring version does act as a self closing mechanism which we agree is great! They are not absolutely necessary however we feel the pour is better with the flow control. Unfortunately as these are inserted into the cross bar the same option is not available for the double ball lock spears. The double ball lock spears are the same that are provided in the previous BB.

attachicon.gif
DSC_2784.JPG
attachicon.gif
DSC_2785.JPG

3. What is the little plastic block that also comes with the spare parts? Is it a spare part for something or did I miss something when putting it all together?
attachicon.gif
DSC_2783.JPG - original flow control as mentioned above

4. Your pictures in the instructions and on your website show a brass connector between the regulator and the gas disconnect as below (the pics are small, but it is the brass bit on the disconnect in the first pic). Is this piece from an earlier prototype or is it supposed to be between the two as I don't seem to have one in either kit?

Yes, the brass fitting was originally required for the regulators however they have modified them now so they aren't always required. We do still have both types in stock thats why its still showing in the instructions, sorry for any confusion.

attachicon.gif
gas disconnect.jpg
attachicon.gif
gas disconnect and reg.jpg
attachicon.gif
DSC_2786.JPG

Thanks again and I hope the above doesn't sound like a complaint, far from it. As I said, it may lay on the fact that I'm new to legging. No problem at all, very happy to help with any queries you have :beer:

EDIT - Do you guys recommend using keg lube for the washers etc for your kegs? Opinions are varied as there is no manufacturer recommendation to use lube with our products however we feel it would increase the longevity of your gear.
Hey Jack, answered to your queries above in blue. We hope that helps. Let us know if you need any further info!

Have added a pic of the regulator with the 70g adapter, plus soda stream converter.

View attachment Beerkat 3.78L Hogs Head Mini Keg, Hogs Spear with Soda Stream Attachment.pdf

damoninja said:
The thread is 5/8"-18 UNF, I don't know 100% for sure but I think paintball chargers you get here will fit. Depending on how you're planning on use it, go for a soda stream or 400g bottle, you can get adapters for each.

For the record - 5/8" I had the elbow fitting I was after made up.

attachicon.gif
kegsky-reg.JPG
Looks great Damo, good to hear you found a solution!

Hey guys,

Here's a couple of cool options for your Mini Keg and Growler systems.

These will be available in Soon

AHB - Beerkat Bulk Buy.007.jpegAHB - Beerkat Bulk Buy.008.jpegView attachment AHB - Beerkat Bulk Buy.pdf

1. SS Check Valve – Regulator Saver $20
  • Enhance your regulator system, Helps Prevent fluid return into your regulator when laying down or force carbonating.
  • Be the first to get one of our exclusive to Beerkat, SS Check-valves.

2. Co2 Multi-pump – Mini Keg & Growler $25
  • Hate that feeling of running out of Co2 to pressure your pour, Never worry again……run out of gas simply use the hand pump option or use the hand pump option only.
  • Be the first to get one of our exclusive to Beerkat, Co2 Multi-pump systems
Let us know your interest and we will let you know as soon as they land, cheers

Graham Boyd

Whooohoaaaaa. Put me down for the CO2 pump EOI. I had no idea that was a thing.

Latest posts

Back