Beerfest 2016 - Melbourne Brewers 26-27 Feb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the preferred method of bottle wrapping.

Ultimately, all glass bottles, with the exception of 500ml chmapas bottles (larger champas bottles not accepted) will be wrapped by the club on check in, so it would be appreciated if you guys could save us a lot of work and do this prior to entry.

we will ultimately be phasing out glass (except 500ml champas) from the comp over the next/few comps (if I have my way) but in the interim, we have decided that this is the safest method for now.

by way of explanation, we deem that there is a risk to stewards from bottle bombs, and while there have been no instances yet of a steward being hurt, we cannot rule it out, bottles of unknown origin, beginner brewers not fermenting out their brew, etc, we have all here seen the results of what bottle bombs can do, and Ive certainly seen over carbed bottles at a comp level so this is a risk mitigation process.

Happy to discuss further with anyone's questions.

Bottle wrap.JPG

SergeMarx said:
Would it please be possible to drop off entries to the Royal George as we did last year? Makes far more sense for we locals :)

Cheers
Rhys
Hi SergeMarx
I see no problems with that so long as they are in Compmaster. For stewarding Yob or myself will check with royal George on number if entries they are holding. These will be the only ones we won't collate here in Melbourne.
A note here on AHB may be helpful as well to make sure we don't forget you.

I assume your coming along at some point?
Cheers Mudd.

The fruitiness is hop or yeast derived.. adding cordial will make it out of style.. put it in the fruit beer class.. suggestion.. my guess is it nay get marked down

Just want to confirm because I don't think Yob saw the other thread but two 330ml bottles are not acceptable as an entry?

Cheers

I would imagine wrapping higher on the neck would be better.. my experience is the bottle breaks at he sectio above the section where it is wrapped

Grainer said:
The fruitiness is hop or yeast derived.. adding cordial will make it out of style.. put it in the fruit beer class.. suggestion.. my guess is it nay get marked down
Berlinner Weisse is often served with fruit/herb syrups in the glass, so adding them in the bottle for presentation to a judge may save an extra step & actually make them more "authentic".

Take your chances......;)

If you're going to bother wrapping, wrap the whole thing except the lid.

My experience is that exploding bottles do not discriminate which bit of the bottle to break.

Either all or none.

Signed
busybody expat.

Jesse is "Chiefy" on this one, so it's his call. His Comp, his Stewards, his concerns = his rules.

I'll be stewarding on this one & I'm prepared to open/serve beers wearing nothing but a mankini & safety-glasses, but I think it may be a bit off-putting to everyone, since I'm a scrawny runt & not attractive to anyone.

I've also skydived naked, so taking a risk is nothing new to me....... :p

I gotta see that mankini and safety glasses serving beers.. would suit a beerfeat weekend.. lol

Once my judging is fully confirmed ill booknin accomodation.. hopefully soon..

Grainer said:
I gotta see that mankini and safety glasses serving beers.. would suit a beerfeat weekend.. lol
Anyone who takes photographs will be shot on sight (or taken out the back, roughed-up & read the riot-act).

It's been my experience and observations that the most dangerous area of failure is at the neck or shoulder, the wrap shown above is a compromise on safety and being practical as the labels can still be read at check in.

My personal preference is to abolish glass now... But not practical so close to comp.

Please keep in mind, this is a safety concern and I'm happy to investigate better options.

Gday lads, can we enter beers packaged in 1.25L PET? i.e. soft drink bottles?

If the plan is to phase out glass bottles does that not make it difficult for people to enter beers such as ris or barley wine that could use some age in the bottle? While pet is good for short term it is guaranteed to oxidise a beer over anytime over six months.I know that you could still keg age and bottle closer to the day . but not everyone has the means. to do it or the money to afford a cpbf or Blichman gun even if they are kegging. in the past if I keg a beer but want to enter a comp in the future I would bottle off a couple in glass just incase I thought it would enter into the future, if it was bottled into plastic by the time a comp came up it would not be worth entering due to excessive aging that pet leads too.I can see why you would go that way from an ohs view point but imo it's going to lead to more substandard entries that otherwise could have been very good.

Just want to confirm because I don't think Yob saw the other thread but two 330ml bottles are not acceptable as an entry?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back