Beer Glass Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxt

Geer bod
Reaction score
So if you could make your own, what would be the ultimate sized vessel to hold your beer?
I realized that I am just used to certain sizes because I have always drunk out of them, but what really is the 'best' size?

Depends what I'm drinking...

Bottled homebrew goes best in a glass that fits the size of the bottle.

At a bar, bigger the better; however depending on how fast I'm drinking and how fast the beer is getting warm.

As for kegged homebrew... *cry* never experienced it... :(

I say 375-425mL.

Although I'm Victorian, I love the schooner (425ml). I generally drink pints when I'm out and about, but the schooner just slips into the hand so nicely :)

It all depends, if it's just a casual drink anywhere between a middy and schooner is fine.

Went to my mum's a couple of months ago, and she said to me, are these glasses any good for your bar?

I'm said yes, please, for sure. She had four of them.

I asked mum what they set her back, so I could pay her for them. She said ' Don't worry, they were $5'. I gave her $20, she then said 'no, they were $5 for all four'. :beer: :D

Gees, you've got to love your mum, always on the lookout for beer glasses for ya.

I must admit, these have become my favourite beer glasses at my bar. They hold about 450ml.

Cheers,
Jase

Beer_glass.jpg

I have a Kozel glass which holds just over 500ml... Perfect for those longnecks! Lets you get your nose in to be able to smell the beer as well! When I'm trying a beer for the first time, this is the glass I always go for!

Cheers,
Andrew

With draft beer.... The answer is a size that increases proportionally with distance from your beer tap. Starting at 250ml at Point of dispense, increasing linearly to a mini keg & beer shisha as you reach the front door/gate :chug:

Asher for now

nonic for big thick ales in winter, can take 30 minutes to finish it but it doesn't matter
fancy pants thin pilsner glass for a few quick coldies
funky chalice for Belgians
500ml hoegaarden glass for wits

try a session on ponys or butchers in SA, you'll get pissed quicker because you end up downing them like shots instead of sipping.

500 ml pint glasses are the best

Ditto that, start with pints and [sometimes :blink:] go to 250ml, depends on my mood, like now, one pint of Belgian Trappist then three 250ml of Hefe Weizen [so far] yum.

So if you could make your own, what would be the ultimate sized vessel to hold your beer?
I realized that I am just used to certain sizes because I have always drunk out of them, but what really is the 'best' size?

"Progress is measured in pints"

DSC03722.JPG

How long is a piece of string?

500ml is my fav.
1 litre when the rugby is on.

Doc

500ml for the big german beers works a treat , Schneider Aventinus dopplebock tastes so much better out of its own 500ml glass :D

cheers Monkale

Would U believe that I have an Erdinger World Cup glass for weizens (* edit - Dragon destroyed it while I was at BJCP last night - currently looking for new missus), a nonic for pommie ales and stouts, a Yank pint glass (or 4) for Arrogant clones and APAs, as well as Hoegaarden glasses for Wits, and a range of other tall and short glasses with and without handles, schooner, middie, shot, the odd 7 oz, 200ml stange, litre mug, pewter mugs, and Chimay and Unibroue glasses. I have a hollow core stainless Coopers mug and some plastic VB 425ml jobbies from the cricket. A freezable (and mostly useless) liquid-core plastic beer stein from a local Oktoberfest event. Some glasses are branded and some are generic. Some are ancient and some near-new. All get used, at times.

I try to use the right vessel for the occasion and the beer, to maximise my enjoyment and that of my guests.
Some say "beer geek"...I know.

Smilin' all the way to my next beer.

Seth out :p

Funny you should ask. Just yesterday I went trawling the Asian import shops for my fave homebrew glasses as I've just started brewing again after 2 years off (where did those glasses go).

My choice looks like a Dog-damned milkshake glass, but I love it. It holds about 400ml so I get 2 full glasses with headroom from a 750ml long-neck - just perfect for me and a drinking buddy.

Picture0054.jpg

I have various shapes and sizes that get used from time to time. But my favourites are a cervoise (sp?) for general ales and lagers. A 500ml tall Franziskaner glass for weizens. And a Leffe chalice for Belgians.

Now,
If only those glasses had an AHB logo on them ..... :ph34r:

Ps: Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself... You a Kits and bits, Mini Masher or and AG guru??

Festa

Latest posts

Back