Beer Engine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can organise free shipping to Perth and they end up less than $120ea, count me in for one. Would prefer a 1/4 pint draw, non-swan neck. Not concerned with the brand/clip, it's not difficult to replace. The black handled one looks perfect thanks :)

sparkler or no sparkler? :p

they will be travelling in a shipping container along with a load of house items. e.g. a friend is moving here from the uk, will this make a differance?
Hi Rob, yep that will probably make a big difference, but like I said watch out for quarantine - if these things have been stuck in a shed for a year or two and have signs of insects or cobwebs then quarantine may insist that your mate's whole container is fumigated, so you won't be popular. Get him to clean them thoroughly first and you should be OK.

Bugwan's tea-chest idea looks pretty good, but I'd avoid door-to-port shipping options - you can easily run into insane 'storage' fees if you don't turn up the minute they call you, and lodging the customs paperwork can get ugly at this end. Pay the bit extra and get door-to-door, get the customs stuff lodged at the other end and that way the shipping company will whisk it through the authorities and the wharfies with all their other stuff, and you'll only need to pay extra if customs or quarantine have an issue with it.

Regarding eBay sellers, these things do weigh about 10Kg each, but they are a pain in the backside to pack safely. If a seller has stated pickup only, it's probably because they can't be arsed boxing it up and you probably won't persuade them otherwise - a customer who turns up and pays cash the weekend after the auction is more attractive than a customer from the other side of the world who wants you to box it all up and send it to a friend somewhere else, and pay by PayPal and all the rest of it.

Good luck anyhow guys :beer:

Rough estimates from my experiences shipping from the UK is 10 pounds per Kg.
My Beer Engine is close to 9kg (brass fittings, wood, steel frame).
Basically make sure you are buying the unit you really want and aren't just going for one going cheap, as the shipping is what will cost the most.
I don't have the room/config for the beer engine to be online full time in the house with the house keg freezer, so the beer engine comes out for bbq's, birthdays, brew club days, xmas etc.
Always a hit, and a joy to pull beer through.

Doc

If you need another one sold i'm in for sure. I've been really keen to pick one up lately but the postage has been the killer.

Hey Guys,

just an update: this doesn't look like its going to be a viable option anymore the pumps are up to $100ea :-(
and thre is still 1 day to go. i just didnt expect there to be so much interest boy was i wrong....

sorry if i got anyones hopes up of a better life with real ale on tap at home.

Rob.

I actually recently got a quote to have one sent over here. think it was 90 pound.

~240$ from memory

i had one shipped over from the UK a couple of years back(hi gene) and postage was $210. well worth it though, cannot describe how good it is to pull a 'half'.

Dunno if I should say 'just hold that discussion a moment' or 'watch this space.'

Am working on this very problem of demand and supply at the moment, will keep the AHB updated is probably the best thing to advise.

Scotty

Looks like its over to you Scotty.

I got an angram beer handpump shipped over from the UK, through the company I work for.

The ebay auction I won said that they had a few more and I said I would take the lot, can't remember exactly but it might have been 8 or so. I had it all arranged to send them through company shipping and at the last minute the guy I purchased them from said that he had sold the rest to a local buyer and I was left with the one I won on ebay. Too hard for him or something....what? I had a courier going to pick them up, he just had to give them to the courier. Anyway, it started getting messy and I was just happy to see my pump get delivered.

It is a great pump, although it is missing the drip tray, apparently it got lost in transit.

I haven't set it up permanently, I get it out when I have something ready that I've made for it or if I host a work dinner.

If you can get one, be sure it is the one you want and in my opinion, unless you are going to drink all the keg in one sitting or over a couple of days, get an aspirator and hook it up to your beer gas.

There are few other very good threads on pumps if you have a search.

Kirk

100 quid wouldn't be too bad thats only $50ea+whatever still very cheap in my opinion.

i know exactly what you mean about the fake-real looking ones i'm also having a hard time desifering between em for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Traditional-Beer-Eng...1QQcmdZViewItem

says traditional but doc pointed out to me it didn't look like it even had an engine which i think he's right!

where as these 5 listed on the top post look to be the real deal out of actual pubs! i've flicked the guy a few emails and he suggests 75 quid to post within england. so even if that is the case it still looks to be around
$90 a piece, i don't know about anyone else but i'm pretty happy with that lets see how the auction goes....

Rob.
yes it has a piston and cylinder it is a horizontal unit with a double slide bar this is a space saver 1/4 pint unit.
and the are excellent to but the way.
they retail for around 480 pounds ea new and thats is trade referbished around 300 pounds and secon hand no service 200 pounds so yes it would be a good buy.

del

8 pumps sold for 26quid are now back up for auction starting price 50 quid

Link

Same seller too. very suspicious

Back