What's the best keg set up for Real Ale (with out a beer engine)?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seeker

Reaction score
I've been using collapsible bags with either gravity pour or ghetto beer engine, but after the last two leaked (half lost batch from infection, and lots of mess), I'm giving up on them.

At some point I'll rig up a beer engine to a keg via LPG reg, but for now I want to get as close to traditionally served Real Ale with all the labour and stuffing about savings of typical kegging to a picnic tap.

I'm just trying to figure out the best first try.

Some thoughts;

1. Normal set up with beer pressure as low as possible to get the beer out to a picnic tap, keg verticle.

2. Keg on it's side - LPG regulator, and beer out to picnic tap, as per this article; http://www.franklinbrew.org/wp/?page_id=336

3. Rig up a sparkler to either of the above.

Beer will be served around 9c (as high as my fridge will go)

Some of the woollongong guys (and maybe others) use cubes for dispensing real ale I believe.

PM username S.E.

Just started using a cube for real ale. I have a hose attached to the tap on the cube at one end and the handpump at the other end. I also modified the lid of the cube so that it has a ball lock gas post on it (weldless fitting). I'll generally turn the tap on, pull a couple of pints, turn the tap off and replace the headspace with CO2.

I'm not sure of how long the beer will keep but in theory it shouldn't be any different to a keg.

image.jpg

what were the collapsable bags you used, can you explain, and put up a photo, please, it may suit something i was thinking about

Tahoose said:
Just started using a cube for real ale. I have a hose attached to the tap on the cube at one end and the handpump at the other end. I also modified the lid of the cube so that it has a ball lock gas post on it (weldless fitting). I'll generally turn the tap on, pull a couple of pints, turn the tap off and replace the headspace with CO2.

I'm not sure of how long the beer will keep but in theory it shouldn't be any different to a keg.

attachicon.gif
image.jpg
SO do you have a dip tube going down to the bottom?

I thought of using a cube, but I was considering using a tap at the bottom - this seems like a better idea.

If I could find the right cube maybe I could get gas in and beer out posts...

Just found this;http://craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4382

Cask Widge Float - Red 9-11g. Fantastic little float device that we use in our casks for our handpumped ales at Bacchus Brewery. The plastic float with SS mesh will draw beer from just under the surface of the liquid. So it doesn't matter how much yeast or hop material is sitting at the bottom of the keg. You will always draw off debris free beer. Perfect for use in a corny keg for dispensing in the same way. An absolute must if you like dry hopping or naturally carbonating in the keg. Simply replace the longer liquid dip tube with a shorter gas dip tube. The silicone hose will fit snugly over the shorter diptube inside the keg. Hose length approx 580 mm.

Yep, was about to add a URL for the Cask Widge too, could well be helpful. :beer:

Ross said:
No, just a gas diptube to replace the beer one. Cheap & easy.
Sorry - i meant if I was going to convert a cube.

I only have one keg, so was expecting to have to spend a few hundred dollars. If I can make a cube cap I can expand my capacity massively for not so much money.

Seeker said:

I thought of using a cube, but I was considering using a tap at the bottom - this seems like a better idea.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough, the post you can see is a gas post. The liquid comes out of the tap. I think you would struggle to get the gas and beer posts both on the lid.

Also really the way that I have it setup this is more functional anyway. If you were going to do that you'd be better looking for another keg.

Any more questions fire away.

Seeker said:

If you're dispensing real ale, why do you need gas in?

manticle said:
I reckon they are just woosys who don't think they can finish a cask within a couple of days so they are looking at a CO2 vent thingy.

Yeah, just to get co2 in as a cask breather type deal.

manticle said:
I'm doing this instead of a breather. The co2 is not really adding pressure it's just making up the headspace in the cube.

The other options are crack the lid and allow air in or not crack the lid and not be able to pump out the beer.

Some discussion here, my hand pump is on page 8.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78151-cask-and-hand-pump/?fromsearch=1

As long as I can't tell the different I'm not bothered.

Camra do a good job, but get a bit over zealous in my opinion.

Yeah the whole co2 thing is a little silly. It's all well and good if you have the correct cellar, equipment, knowledge/training and clientele to consume those volumes of cask ale.

But if you didn't you would be tipping alot of beer.

The best, easiest and cheapest keg or cask set up for Real Ale without a beer engine I have found is a cube fitted with a plastic tap.
The only modification you need to make is to stop the tap dripping under carbonation pressure. Just pull the tap apart (easiest after a quick soak in a cup of boiling water) and apply a little Vaseline, keg lube or similar and away you go instant real ale gravity dispensing system.

If you want to dispense via a beer engine (hand pump) a 13mm PVC or silicone tube will push snugly over the tap, you may want to secure it with a jubilee clip but I don’t bother and haven’t had any mishap so far.

When gravity dispensing I find that beer will not oxidise as quickly in a cube as it does when served from a traditional cask laid horizontally which will oxidise in about 3-4 days. Serving vertically from a traditional cask using a CaskWidge will apparently slow oxidation due to the smaller surface aria exposed. I bought a CaskWidge float a few years ago but haven’t got around to trying it in my firkin yet.

Gravity dispensing from a cube at home beer will keep for at least 8-10 days if you crack open the lid to let in a little air and re-close it after each pour. Better still would be to keep the cube topped up with a shot of Co2 as Tahoose has posted above or use a Cask Beer C02 Aspirator to do the job automatically as you pour.

Cheers Sean

Latest posts

Back