Planning For A Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had been pretty lucky with the gear up until now :(. The 2nd beer engine arrived and it looked in ok condition - must have seen a fair few years of use which is fine by me. But then I noticed something and I initially thought there was a chip taken out of the top piece of wood. Well it wasn't just a chip but a whole section of the wood had broken away!! This must have happened during shipping as the pics on ebay didn't show any damage and the seller has said that I can send it back for full refund and they will chase down money from post office.

The problem is I'm not too sure there's enough time to win another auction, get it delivered and then packed ready to go by the first week of April. I'm thinking that will some good joining skills, some advice from here, my grandad and a chippie friend I should be able to get this back into tip top shape.

Realised that I haven't put the pics of the fosters, grolsch and heineken export fonts up so hopefully will do that shortly.

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

Hey all,
Been a while since the last post, but finally back in Aus and have managed to get all my stuff from customs and done a bit of a stocktake of the beer gear purchased from the UK and I think I may have gone a little overboard.
2 x beer engines
Tetleys and Boddington electric pump fonts - might flog these or remove the pump from the boddington
Fosters, Grolsch and Heineken flooded fonts
Lowenbrau ceramic font which thankfully didn't break
2 x old heineken fonts
A 4-way t-bar type font
Guiness font

All of them come with the proper taps, but got an erdinger veriflow tap and a couple of spare dalex taps. Also got a variety of glasses, bar towels, coasters and different things to deck out the bar. Now all there is to do is make the bar!

Current thinking is to have the following for the bar
Lowenbrau (with erdinger tap) to serve a white beer like erdinger (german wheat?)
Fosters, grolsch and heineken flooded fonts for various lagers
guiness for a stout
beer engine for cask ale type

So 6 taps, 6 kegs. The cask keg won't be in the fridge as drinking an ale at 4 degrees just isn't right. The beer engine does have a cooling collar on it so could pump through glycol/water mix to chill the ale slightly from room temperature.

I'm guessing I'll need 3 gas regs due to the fact that the white beers require higher pressure than the others and cask ale I'll need to get a breather valve or whatever it's called to get that running. Do many of you have lagers and stouts running off the same pressure? How about wheat beers and lagers?

How long does a beer last in a keg before it goes off once it's been "tapped"?

I guess there'll be some big spending at various homebrew stores to get everything you need.

Cheers
-cdbrown

edit - of course I'd like to try a variety of different styles of beer so suggestions to allow the system to work for a few at any one time would be appreciated

beer lasts in my keg about a week ;)
That's a fair amount of drinking each week for one person - good work. I'm guessing there's no chance it will go off in that short period.

Back