Beer Cookbook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malted - we picked up a breville BEM800 from good guys and got a free ice-cream bowl for it for around $330 from memory - a lot more expensive from other retailers (no affiliation). It's a little bit more pricey than other models, but it has no problems with our bread doughs - doesn't miss a beat (so to speak). If you plan on making bread regularly, might be worth investing in a good one. We do a multigrain with loads of fresh thyme leaves that you just can't get from a coles.

With kitchen appliances, I have found you usually do get what you pay for, and this is a really nice solid well built unit that is still simple enough in technology to keep going and going. Or you could really splash out on kenwood shiny coloured toys but I found the speed shifter on these to be a bit goosey - reckon these will break sooner than the breville.

Malted - we picked up a breville BEM800 from good guys and got a free ice-cream bowl for it for around $330 from memory - a lot more expensive from other retailers (no affiliation). It's a little bit more pricey than other models, but it has no problems with our bread doughs - doesn't miss a beat (so to speak). If you plan on making bread regularly, might be worth investing in a good one. We do a multigrain with loads of fresh thyme leaves that you just can't get from a coles.

With kitchen appliances, I have found you usually do get what you pay for, and this is a really nice solid well built unit that is still simple enough in technology to keep going and going. Or you could really splash out on kenwood shiny coloured toys but I found the speed shifter on these to be a bit goosey - reckon these will break sooner than the breville.

This was the jobby I was considering: KitchenAid Artisan KSM150 I have seen it on TV and it looks robust. I'd like to buy one decent product and have it do the job for many years. I too like the Good Guys and will have to check out the Breville BEM800 (under half the price of the KitchenAid. Maybe at that amount of $ there is an alternative commercial mixer?). I am all ears to suggestions.

This was the jobby I was considering: KitchenAid Artisan KSM150 I have seen it on TV and it looks robust. I'd like to buy one decent product and have it do the job for many years. I too like the Good Guys and will have to check out the Breville BEM800 (under half the price of the KitchenAid. Maybe at that amount of $ there is an alternative commercial mixer?). I am all ears to suggestions.

:icon_offtopic:
I got a kitchen aid mixer about a year ago, came with a free ice-cream making bowl, and just recently I bought the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachments. All products are quality and built very well easy to use and clean. My wife and I are both very happy with the purchase. A spare bowl is also very handy.

I had recently made some bread dough and had the same problem with the top of the mixer bouncing up. I found if you add a little more water to your dough mix it stops this from happening and then add a little more flour when your finishing it off. Mind you it is a lot easier than mixing the whole dough by hand, which is what i used to do.

The other thing is with the kitchen aid mixer is to get the next model up it is a little bigger and about $100 more but has a lift in bowl as a opposed to a hing to lift the head of the mixer up.

Also check the capisity of the mixers as well the base model will only mix up to 1kg of bread dough in the manual.

Knocked out a batch of Beeramisu last Friday for a party, it was fantastic. Highly recommend this recipe!

Cheers SJ

Whoah! I am assuming one of the attachments is a silver lady with wings? That's a seriously nice bit of kit. It has a similar looking shifter to the kenwood, definitely check one out in the store before you buy, but similar rave reviews, so can't go wrong really with either model. I would ask what you get for the extra few hundred though.

Made the stout brownies, but used my Brown IPA. Were a hit with the ladies at work.

Breville BEM800 (under half the price of the KitchenAid. Maybe at that amount of $ there is an alternative commercial mixer?). I am all ears to suggestions.

:icon_offtopic: sorry to OP.... I bought one of these not that long ago and it is brilliant!!! I was thinking of getting the Kitchen Aid but it was a matter of how much bang for my buck and I would never look back now. HERE is the best price I could find and thoroughly recommend the product. I waited until it come a bit cheaper then got mine. Here is one on special but it's red.

Bought the book and drooled on every page. I am looking forward to giving it a trot. I have another kitchen issue that I'd like some advice on it that's ok?

Can you suggest an appropriate electric mixer than can actually handle bread dough? I have a sunbeam mixmaster cafe series that has dough hooks but it (1) jumps all over the bench and has to be held, and (2) will trigger an overload cutout when kneading dough.
Yes I always finish dough by hand but it is good to get it most of the way there with a machine. I was considering a KitchenAid mixer. Any thoughts?

Malted I have a Kitchen Aid but I generally make my bread and pizza dough by hand. I have used the mixer to do this but it doesnt really like anything up to a kilo of flour etc and then it's a bitch to clean. 700g of flour no probs but more and it isnt worth it as far as I am concerned. Mind you I only mix in until I get a ball of dough then tip it out and knead for 15 minutes!

If I was going to do a lot of dough/bread often then I would look in to something a little more commercial. I would have liked the bigger Kitchen Aid but....maybe after I get some royalties from my book I will splash out.

cheers

I bought one for my missus in pearl metallic and was $729 gotprice has them for 660! She loves it. SHe has sort of stopped giving me grief over all the fishing gear i have. for every dollar i spend on new rods and reels i have spend 2 on her. THe total was over 2000........

Paul,

I just went out and bought your book. I do hope there is a good beer batter recipe in there!! so far i can not find any as tasty as that of Joe's Fish shack in freo where i used to work. I can not even for the life of me remember there recipe.

It was a 3yo birthday party, so very appropriately we had crispy hoegaarden battered prawns, beer can chicken and beeramisu for dessert.

(this was the menu for the adults, kids enjoyed cocktail frankies!).

I also managed to pinch a few frankies from the kids table and dip them in the hoegaarden batter, yum!

Cheers SJ

edit: and we served some 'pink' cider that the b'day girl helped make.

I'm excited to get digging into this book some more now that I'm growing my own produce!

I'm thrilled to have space at a community garden!

It was a 3yo birthday party, so very appropriately we had crispy hoegaarden battered prawns, beer can chicken and beeramisu for dessert.

(this was the menu for the adults, kids enjoyed cocktail frankies!).

I also managed to pinch a few frankies from the kids table and dip them in the hoegaarden batter, yum!

Cheers SJ

edit: and we served some 'pink' cider that the b'day girl helped make.

We've been watching the great british menu, a big cook off of professional mostly michelin star chefs in the UK - the beer can chicken got a running last week and awarded the highest score. We aussies are at the cutting edge of cuisine it seems!

Malted I have a Kitchen Aid but I generally make my bread and pizza dough by hand. I have used the mixer to do this but it doesnt really like anything up to a kilo of flour etc and then it's a bitch to clean. 700g of flour no probs but more and it isnt worth it as far as I am concerned. Mind you I only mix in until I get a ball of dough then tip it out and knead for 15 minutes!

If I was going to do a lot of dough/bread often then I would look in to something a little more commercial. I would have liked the bigger Kitchen Aid but....maybe after I get some royalties from my book I will splash out.

cheers

It's on my birthday list for this month Merc. Between all the blokes purchasing it on here and recommending it to others for xmas we'll get you over the line for that mixer :icon_cheers:

Went and bought another cook book on Friday, that makes three new ones over the last couple of months. It adds to the one from Merc, and Go Fish from New Zealand's Al Brown.
Have successfully tried a few of the Cooking with Beer recipes over the last couple of months.
Today was Choc Stout Brownie day. Very nice indeed, thanks Merc!

Choc_Stout_Brownie.jpg

got some big (9.5cm) jalapeos from coles today & made the jalapeo poppers. they're pretty fecking hot.
had the chilli sweats just from licking my fingers & wiping my brow during prep.

going to give the lamb & dark ale tagine a go too this weekend using my home brew.

I have a sunbeam mixmaster cafe series that has dough hooks but it (1) jumps all over the bench and has to be held, and (2) will trigger an overload cutout when kneading dough.

Hey Malted,

I use an old 70's Kenwood Chef for kneading the dough. We would have probably knocked out over 1000 loaves with that thing over the last few years and it's still going strong. They were built to last. It does jump around a bit, but it never seems to be overloaded, and we do 2 loaves at a time and then divide it up between loaf tins. It's also a bit noisy, but doesn't really bother us as it lives in the laundry...

Sorry, missed the last page of posts where all this had been answered a month ago! I guess you've bought something by now...

Merc,

Bought the book today and can't wait to give some of those recipes a go. I was telling my daughter, a celiac, about the beer can chicken. She asked whether, cooking with beer, yeast in the beer would pass into the chicken and if so in what quantity. I would presume nil to negligible but can you enlighten me further? Thanks,

Bob

Cooked up the Choc stout brownies last night with my anzac dry/oatmeal stout.
Not sure if I cooked it long enough, but they are delicious!

Hi Bob,

I would have thought (def not an expert on celiac disease) the gluten in beer (from barley) would have been more of an issue than yeast. IF you use a commercial beer your yeast content will be very minimal. However for you're daughter you would probably be best using gluten free beer (sorry if i'm stating the obvious!)

Cheers SJ

BTW beer can chicken is delicious!!!!

Latest posts

Back